• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 slide will not lock back after last round

rweaver00geo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
benton il
My springfield 1911 gi will not lock back after last round with pachmayr 8rd mag, it will with factory mag and surplus gov 7 rd mags. Whats the cause?

Re: 1911 slide will not lock back after last round

1911's can be picky with different brands of magazines. You have to try them out before you use them for competition or a carry gun. I have had the best of luck with Wilson's newest magazine, the ETM. There are slight variations in each mag that certain pistols may or may not like.

Find a magazine that works and stick with those.

I have had excellent results with the Chip McCormick power mags in 8 rd. Even fully loaded there is some room so you can lod a full mag on a closed slide easily.
Back in the day when I shot a .38 Super 1911 in IPSC it was the only reliable mag I could find for the super in my pistol, so I have been a fan since then.

Look at the follower in the mags that dont work compared
to ones that do . with gun empty and empty mag in gun you can pull back slide and watch follower push up slide stop

First things first...completely disassemble and clean and lube the mags/springs/followers/etc. that are NOT working and see if that fixes anything.

Second, if a thorough cleaning/lube doesn't get them working, try a comparison between the mag/mags that are NOT working and the ones you have that do. Disassemble them all and compare the followers and springs (length) to see if you can note any differences between the mags/components that work and those that do not. These kinds of malf can be caused by weak/garbage springs (which the Pacmayr mags tend to have in my experience with them) not exerting enough force upward on the slide stop to fully activate it. Same with the followers...a follower that is bent out of shape or otherwise not at the proper angle can fail to engage the slide stop.

You can mix/match springs and followers from mags that work into mags that don't and see if that fixes anything. Just be sure to do it one component at a time so you'll know if it is the follower, or the spring, or BOTH that are causing the problem.

Personally, I am a big fan of the Wilson 47D and more recently the ETM mags, but I have always had good service from the Chip McCormick Power mags too.

^ ^ ^ all above ^ ^ ^

It's probably a worn follower or weak spring on the Pachmayr.

Chip McCormick Power Mag and Tripp Industries Cobra Mag are excellent mags. I also use Wilson 47D and ETM without problem, but plastic followers are prone to failure due to wear.

Not likely, but an overlooked part is the slide stop. They are not "all the same". Dimension variations can cause lock-back failures. A good quality tool steel is preferred, such as 10-8 Performance.

Kevin

posted this pic, where is the slide stop located? is it on the plastic follower or the metal mag sides? All the parts seeem to be in good order and are clean. The spring has way less tension than the gov suplus mags swiped from the navy back when they switched to the baretta. Does someone sell new springs and followers?
DSC00498.jpg

Never had any lick with that type of follower, Wilson or chip mck mags have been the moat reliable to me

The slide stop (or lock) is the lever on the left side of frame. The tab on the slide stop that protrudes into the magazine well is pushed up by the follower on the last round. The tab contacts the magazine in the notch in the follower (your photo). When last round is fired, the follower (under spring pressure) pushes the slide stop up, locking back the slide. On some plastic followers, the notch in the follower gets worn, not making sufficient contact with the slide stop. Besides magazine problems, I have seen "fail to lock back" due to the tab breaking on MIM slide locks.

Kevin

My springfield does the same thing, McCormick's worked Wilson's didn't, nor have any of the random low cost brands I've tried.

ok just by streaching the spring out and sharpening up the notch on the mag folower with a hobby knife now it locks back. I should have tried one at a time first. I have another mag and im going to do that now.

yop weak spring for sure just streaching out the spring and reassembling it helps. So anyone recommend an aftermarket mag spring?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you notice the notch cut out of the mag follower on on the front right (top) of the follower, that is there SO IT WON'T engage the slide stop and lock the slide open on the last round.</div></div>
I've never seen a single stack mag designed to leave the slide forward. The only people I've noticed who request that feature do so by modifying the slide stop, not the mags. The reasoning being that they don't want the slide to lock back prematurely and they're usually running 23rd+ in 140mm or 27rd+ in their big stick. With half the rounds you need for even the longest course in a single mag it isn't hard to find a place to reload.

Further, all of my mags for single stack have said notch and lock the slide back just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you notice the notch cut out of the mag follower on on the front right (top) of the follower, that is there SO IT WON'T engage the slide stop and lock the slide open on the last round.</div></div>

I guess my collection of approximately 150 1911 mags, one dating to 1913, are all "competition" by your description - they all have a notch or recess in the same place - on the front LEFT (as you would be holding the firearm down range). . . but they must ALL be defective because they all lock back the slide.

Regarding "competition mags" I have cut the tab on the steel follower on my bullseye mags to prevent slide lock on last shot.

Kevin

PostScript:
WTF happened to RedCreek? He delete his post? Wish now I had copied the whole thing.

I couldnt find my old Pachmayers to photo and measure to show the differnece in followers and didnt want to argue with guys like you. its just not worth it.

You know more than I do anyway.

In a .45, the lobe needs to protrude .200", as measured from the back of the interior of the slide stop lever, and assuming installation into a gun with an in spec frame/mag well.

You can measure to see if that follower is one that is cut for no last round hold open or is just worn out and wont properly engage the slide stop.

There are a couple of of different reasons that could be causing that to happen.

Most likely from the information you've provided, it is a weak mag spring. New springs can be bought from Brownells.

The follower in the mag could also be too short and not providing adequate travel.

Other issues could include the slide stop itself. The angle on the back side could be too steep. The finish could be too rough on the back surface. The detent could have created an indention in the back surface making it difficult to overcome.

Bottom line is, it is difficult to diagnose without seeing it. If you cannot determine the problem from the information given, you might seek a professional. Sometimes that is the easiest thing to do.

Mixed in with the arguing, I noticed your post stating you found the problem. Wolf is a respected brand of spring and as mentioned earlier, can be purchased from Brownells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a .45, the lobe needs to protrude .200", as measured from the back of the interior of the slide stop lever, and assuming installation into a gun with an in spec frame/mag well.

You can measure to see if that follower is one that is cut for no last round hold open or is just worn out and wont properly engage the slide stop. </div></div>

RedCreek, the above was well stated as a possible answer to his problem. That's why I run 10-8 Gen2 slide stops on my 1911s.

The statement about the notch was bit over the top and I thought it interesting you deleted your post that was quoted.

FWIW, I am impressed with your knowledge and skill with Cerakote application.

Kevin

Thanks

I had hopped to find my old Pachmayers and measure the cut out and do a side by side photo, but they werent in my range bag, so i either gave them away or they are stuffed in a bin somewhere.

Without the photos and measurments the post was worthless.

So, plan B was just to provide the specs.

(I've got a bunch of guns I'm Cerakoting tonight, Mk46 machineguns, and SBR's the highway patrol wants to pick up at 6am, so there justs wasnt time... Looks like an all nighter... Back out to the shop now)

Hilton Yam's slide stop is absolutly one of the best, his tollerances and quality are outstanding.

I also like the Dawson Precision mag release for that same reason, especially on the double stacks. Keeps extended ejectors from getting broken when doing mag changes in competition or tactical pistol classes.

Regards,

-E

I had the same problem with 2 USGI mags. They would only lock back like 30% of the time. So I went out and bought 2 Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags and BAM!! locks back every time now

To break it down and elaborate a bit.

Suppose you have a 1911 which has a frame which is a few thousandths thicker (Springfield’s) and a slide stop which has a lobe which is a few thousandths short and a magazine where the slide stop engagement notch is a bit worn or out of spec and the result will likely be no hold open on the last shot. Of course, if any one of these elements is out of spec enough it can cause the no hold open problem, but its usually a confluence of more than one of the elements being out of spec.

Chip McCormic uses stainless followers, which eliminates much of the wear issues polymer followers have and he keeps his tolerances tight and uses one of the best springs of any mag out there. Other good mags as mentioned by others here, and I concur, are the Trip, Wilson ETC (though they still have a polymer follower) and Ed Browns. Often, just a good mag fixes the problem.

As stated earlier by another poster, Hilton Yam’s 10-8 Performance Gen 2 Slide Stop is one of the best and his tolerances and quality control are excellent, so you are not likely to get an out of spec slide stop and this often this fixes the problem. (where you are having the problem using good mags)

If you still have issues, one of the solutions is to get a slide stop for a 9mm/.40 1911, which typically have a lobe of .220. You can then re-contour it to the proper length of .200" as measured from the back of the interior of the slide stop lever on your specific frame.

And, of course, use good mags.