• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Specific Shooting School?

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
Question for ya'll,

I know Larry Vickers runs his 1911 operators course. I'm an avid shooter and can hold my own in pistol shooting, but I'm never resting on my laurels. I own a few 1911's and perform dry drills in conjunction with my live-fire drills on a regular basis.

That being said, other than Larry, are there any other 1911 shooting schools to learn the ins/outs/quirks of using the 1911 for CCW/patrol/Duty use/SWAT?

The other conundrum is I'd like it to be generally in the Midwest, or eastern part of Rockies or western part of eastern time zone. I am willing to travel, and know I will need to. Google didn't turn up much other than Vickers. I'm sure someone will point out the snake that should've bit me.

Thanks in advance!

-G45

Re: 1911 Specific Shooting School?

Go to Thunder Ranch,

I did a Handgun 2 (i think they called it that) and it was all 1911s in the class.

Tiger McKee @ Shootrite would be another one to consider for this.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the questions is being posed by someone with the handle Glock45?

Perhaps the handle needs to be changed to ReformedGlock45:)

Shoot USPSA for a few years, and then take a class. You'd be surprised what some stress can do to improve your shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for ya'll,

I know Larry Vickers runs his 1911 operators course. I'm an avid shooter and can hold my own in pistol shooting, but I'm never resting on my laurels. I own a few 1911's and perform dry drills in conjunction with my live-fire drills on a regular basis.

That being said, other than Larry, are there any other 1911 shooting schools to learn the ins/outs/quirks of using the 1911 for CCW/patrol/Duty use/SWAT?

The other conundrum is I'd like it to be generally in the Midwest, or eastern part of Rockies or western part of eastern time zone. I am willing to travel, and know I will need to. Google didn't turn up much other than Vickers. I'm sure someone will point out the snake that should've bit me.

Thanks in advance!

-G45 </div></div>

Pistol tactics tend to be the same regardless of platform. So if you are looking to be a better shooter, just ID a school you wish to attend and bring your 1911.

As for another specific 1911 type of class, I can suggest the 10-8 guys. They run a 1911 specific class. It will be similar to Vickers. At least I think.

Honestly, I have taken the Vickers 1911 class and it's a fairly basic pistol class. We had all kinda. Active duty guys and very expieremced shooters like myself. And people who had their first gun and bought a 1911. So those guys were just keeping up.

If you wish to be a better shooter, find a school and jump in the stack. The 1911 will not be a topic. I mean besides malfunctions and constant reloading.
grin.gif

TTR

Thanks for the blunt and/or funny responses.

I look at this way, I ALWAYS have something to learn. I'm in instructor in many disciplines of Law Enforcement, but I'm always exploring new information. I may go to a one week school and only get 1 hour of information, but it's info I didn't have before. As for the 1911, yeah, I'm an armorer, I've competed with them for nearly a decade, but there are people who know more than me, always will be. If i can glean anything from someone, especially in practice of a classroom vs the 'net and some alleged "know-it-alls", even better.

Thanks again for the suggestions, ideas, and even the smart-assedness. All are welcome!
smile.gif

Be safe!!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the blunt and/or funny responses.

I look at this way, I ALWAYS have something to learn. I'm in instructor in many disciplines of Law Enforcement, but I'm always exploring new information. I may go to a one week school and only get 1 hour of information, but it's info I didn't have before. As for the 1911, yeah, I'm an armorer, I've competed with them for nearly a decade, but there are people who know more than me, always will be. If i can glean anything from someone, especially in practice of a classroom vs the 'net and some alleged "know-it-alls", even better.

Thanks again for the suggestions, ideas, and even the smart-assedness. All are welcome!
smile.gif

Be safe!!

-G45 </div></div>

Ok. Fair enough. In that case I would recommend the Vicker's class. It's basically broken up into two parts. Shooting and then basic service. Even he will admit the service part is where the value is.

You can get one of two takeaways from his class. If you are a star-F#cker, and just want to parrot what LAV says, you'll get that. If you wish to ask him questions and have him justify why he does what he does. He'll do that. BUT...you GOTTA ask.

I don't agree with everything LAV does or why concerning 1911s, but I understand it. I did learn a few new things I never heard of before and I'm a VERY experienced 1911 guy. So I was taking copious notes.

My big pay-off was talking to him privately about tuning extractors. I self-tune (don't that sound dirty!), and LAV will just tune yours and move on to the next one. But if you ask x,y,z and then follow-up with what's the best tool or technique for y, he'll give you an answer.

Beyond that, MY best recommendation would be to take a build your own class. These tend to be very pricy since you are walking away with a pistol. Vickers has one, I THINK API might have one. And one of the full-custom smiths does one as well. Their names just escape me right now.

Those classes are the ultimate. Hope this helped.

TTR