• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 with a rail?

Mr_Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
45x90 WI.
looking at my first handgun and think i want to go with a 1911. this will also be an investment for me just in case hard times force a sale.

what 1911s have a rail on them? budget is no more then 850 so i may be asking to much. and this will be my defensive weapon in my new house.

my other question is being that this would secondarily be an investment gun would i maybe be better going with a sig or an HK for the price i have set and the features i am looking at?

thanks

Re: 1911 with a rail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$850 1911 w/rail and investment quality? Does not add up. </div></div>

mainly meaning something of quality that I'll get more than 200 bucks for. (picking on the RIAs and guns of that nature.)

thanks 103 didn't even think about smith. there are so many brands i forget. and i don't know 2% of all the models out there.

if you look for the, you might be able to find a pre-owned Springfield MC Operator for around $1000.

they're great guns that hold their value very well.

doublestar's 1911 hasn't been out very long but i've seen a couple used ones at gunshows that were selling for less than $1000.

i've never liked external extractors, but sig 1911's can be found second hand for right around what you're looking to spend.

you would not be dissapointed with with the smith and wesson the fit is amazing for a factory built gun. i picked one up from a member here and have never been happier i used to be a die hard colt fan but this smith blows it away. i have a surefire light on mine my only complaint is finding a holster that will hold it with the light on there are very few companies that make them and the ones that are out there are expensive.. i still waiting on a raven concealment holster for mine

erik little @ combatgunleather.com made a holster for my TRP.

i think i paid $100 for it

maybe I should just get the Remington R1 i have been eying and then use my fenix TK11 in my off hand

maybe I should just get the Remington R1 i have been eying and then use my fenix TK11 in my off hand

the R1 is epic win in my hands i can shoot them well and can push the dang mag release easily (you would have to know my beef with 1911s to get that)

unless someone has anything other than the smith to add i probably should just get the R1.

see this is why the hide is great I never even knew there was such a thing.

so maybe I could do my R1 and that rail and tadah...

and them screws don't whollow out in the frame from recoil huh?

If you were to save about 100 bucks more you can get a Colt RG. Very nice 1911 out of the box, nice fit and finish, and Colts hold value very well. My only gripe with them is they don't come with night sights.

DSC00675-01.jpg

ooooooooooooooooo papa like

i know a lot of companies make railed 1911s now days just not in teh know of models and stuff. I like that colt. say you can pick em up for about a grand huh?

Can be picked up online for about 950-1000.

I'm currently looking for a railed 1911 as well, the Rail Gun, the DoubleStar railed 1911 and the Springfield OPERATOR are the only ones worth looking at in the 1000 price range.

I'm looking at the Colt Rail Gun. The one's I've played with have excellent fit and finish. They are also a great base for future mods.

If youre looking at this as an investment are you planning on shooting it ? If you are you will lose value in it quickly.
If its youre defense gun I recommend something you will train with and become proffecient with because as most of us know a typical 1911 isnt considered broken in till you fire at least 1000 rnds through it
As far as an H/K or a Sig they are great guns but I think you lose alittle in the investment area unless you go balls deep and get a Socom. I have a Sig p220 that has never failed me.
I also have a Kimber Custom Eclipse that was worked on at Miller Customs which is a Great 1911 . Which one do I carry every day?
The p220 is my edc but ymmv. As far as a defensive gun for the house
its a Winchester 12 ga if I have to defend my castle I wanna make lots of noise and real big holes !! Good luck making youre choice . Fire all of em and see which one you like the best . screw investing in guns
if youre gonna flip it dont buy it youll lose everytime unless you know what youre doing.

1127002235.jpg

for everyone looking for a holster for a 1911 w/ a light, Erik Little @ combatgunleather made this holster.

the attention to detail is great. the thumb break is reinforced so it's very easy to manipulate and all of the metal parts on the inside of the holster are covered in what appears to be a very heavy duty felt.

A used Kimber TLE RL II can be had for about what you are looking to spend, just another option! +1 for 1911s

For investment purposes stay away from the HK and the SIG products. The moment you shoot them they lose value just like driving a new car off the lot.

Take a look at Springfield TRP, I like the heavy barrel which makes follow-up shots quick and reduces muzzle flip.

Kimber has multiple models with rails, but I got a 1911 from them that had serious malfunction problems, it got fixed after lots of headaches, but resulted in my lost of confidence in their product. Others may feel different, but there seems to be lots of problems with their products, but mostly in commander or smaller models.

I think the best value for the opinions right now is the S&W 1911 E-series. Comes with tritium night sights, stainless steel slide and frame, top serrations, side and front serrations, ambi safety, etc. I like the fact that they removed the firing pin safety, which results in better reliability. I just noticed your price range, and know that this is above, but I think well worth it.

As far as 1911, sig vs. H&K...I think that whichever you shot the best with is what you should pick. Something to consider though, it is hard to beat the comfort of carrying a single-stack 45 vs. a double-stack. Some like that SA trigger with thumb safety, I do but others don't.

I dont know much but i do know my TRP springfield would be one of the last guns to go if i had to sell one or most of them. I thought about picking up another 1911 for whatever reason and looked at the basic government issue model from springfield. Just something to look at. I know several who have Kimbers an love them but i had heard that quality has gone down. Back when i was looking i knew i wanted a crimson carry kimber till i picked up the TRP an never looked back. Just me though.