• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911A1 shoots down German F. Storch air to air

Terry Hoover

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2003
Kansas City
Just finished an article in Flight magazine from 2008. An observer and pilot of an artillery L4 Piper Club spotter plane shoot down a light German F. Storch spotter airplane in April of 1945. Both pilot and observ. fired several mags.. Shootdown occured almost over the armor battalion they were spotting for. The Storch landed and the pilot fled into the near by woods and was captured by soldiers from the armor bn.. Second occupant was wounded in the foot and stayed with the aircraft to be captured by the crew that shot him down. The Storch showed damage to the engine and cabin. One of the spotters still has the tail number off of the Storch that one of the soldiers cut out for him on the spot.
I would venture that this article answers the question of .45 ACP stopping power. Sorry I left the magazine in my car. I will get the month of issue and the authors name latter today.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

Re: 1911A1 shoots down German F. Storch air to air

The 1911, it shoots down planes!
grin.gif

one hundred year old pistol NOW a danger to in-flight aircraft....why were we not told of this crisis ?

Bolt, don't say that too loud, next thing ya know 1911's will be illegal in Kalifornia for their anti-aircraft capabilities! Similar to their 50 cal argument...morons LOL!

Ah, thats nothing, I travel the Selkirk ranges with an 84 year old man that captured a German Panzer tank by jumping down the hatch with an empty 1911. Yep, they surrendered, good thing as he had nary a round. Think of the man that did many of the first ascents in the Selkirks, and well, that would be him. Seriously tough dude...at 84.

1911, you don't need to load 'em to stop a tank.