• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1939 Finn Captured Tula PEM sniper

Miller Tyme

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
This was one of my grail rifles for a long time so when the opportunity presented itself I just had to have it. It's a Finn Captured 1939 Tula PEM Sniper with a non matching scope mount. All parts are Tula and all numbers match except the bolt, which is scrubbed. The scope is a 1938 PEM scope, and the mount is of Tula manufacture. Being as the Finnish Army only showed 213 captured snipers in it's inventory in June of 1940, and most of them being PE Top Mounts, I feel I am very fortunate to have acquired this elusive Finn Captured PEM side mount sniper.

Attachments

• DSCI0001 (2).JPG
    DSCI0001 (2).JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCI0002 (2).JPG
    DSCI0002 (2).JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCI0003 (2).JPG
    DSCI0003 (2).JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCI0004 (2).JPG
    DSCI0004 (2).JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCI0006 (2).JPG
    DSCI0006 (2).JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCI0017 (2).JPG
    DSCI0017 (2).JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCI0020 (2).JPG
    DSCI0020 (2).JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCI0021 (2).JPG
    DSCI0021 (2).JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCI0023 (2).JPG
    DSCI0023 (2).JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCI0024 (2).JPG
    DSCI0024 (2).JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCI0025 (2).JPG
    DSCI0025 (2).JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCI0027 (2).JPG
    DSCI0027 (2).JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 152
You have the nicest stuff...

Seems like matching bolts are always a problem with captured or captured bringback guns of any kind.

Reactions: Miller Tyme
This was one of my grail rifles for a long time so when the opportunity presented itself I just had to have it. It's a Finn Captured 1939 Tula PEM Sniper with a non matching scope mount. All parts are Tula and all numbers match except the bolt, which is scrubbed. The scope is a 1938 PEM scope, and the mount is of Tula manufacture. Being as the Finnish Army only showed 213 captured snipers in it's inventory in June of 1940, and most of them being PE Top Mounts, I feel I am very fortunate to have acquired this elusive Finn Captured PEM side mount sniper.
I believe that is a PE scope, not a PEM. Absolutely outstanding! 😁 😁

Added: Apologies, That is a PEM.

Last edited:
That is really cool. Sorry I dont know much about these older/collectibles but is this something you'd shoot?

That is really cool. Sorry I dont know much about these older/collectibles but is this something you'd shoot?
???

Yes, that's why he posted it.

Actually this one is more a safe queen, my shooter is my 42 Izhevsk PEM sniper which has a beautiful bore.
1942 is the only year Izhevsk produced the PEM, as a stop gap measure between Tulas halting production of the SVT40 sniper (late 1941) and the start of production of the PU sniper rifle in late 42.

Quite a few of my sniper rifles I have multipules of, Russian PU snipers is an example, I have 9 of them but only shoot a couple of them that haven proven to be good shooters.

Attachments

• 20201019_181632.jpg
    20201019_181632.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Actually this one is more a safe queen, my shooter is my 42 Izhevsk PEM sniper which has a beautiful bore.
1942 is the only year Izhevsk produced the PEM, as a stop gap measure between Tulas halting production of the SVT40 sniper (late 1941) and the start of production of the PU sniper rifle in late 42.

Quite a few of my sniper rifles I have multipules of, Russian PU snipers is an example, I have 9 of them but only shoot a couple of them that haven proven to be good shooters.
I've never been really motivated to look into or get something like these, but certain examples (like yours) really make me want to change my mind. Those are really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing pics of this rifle. I have seen a couple of Finnish capture M91/30s with the generic PE scopes, but your early example marked "SA" with the 1938 PEM scope is the only I have every seen. That is a rare rifle, and I wouldn't shoot it either given it would likely be almost impossible to replace. One can be pretty sure that particular rifle was likely captured by the Finns against overwhelming Russian troops who invaded Finland during the winter of 1939-1940. Most folks don't appreciate the massive Russian losses in that devastating conflict:

"During the Winter War, 25,000 Finns were killed and 55,000 were wounded. The Russians suffered 167k (estimate) dead out of 1,500,000 men that participated in the Winter War. The Finns also destroyed 1,000 aircraft, 2,300 tanks and captured great quantities of war material from the Russians.....At the end of the Winter War, a Russian General stated; "We gained 22,000 square miles of territory. Just enough land to bury our dead."

Source: Rifles of the White Death, by Doug Bowser

Just an fyi re the possible history of that Finn-captured (aka 'SA' stamped) early Russian sniper rifle...

Last edited:

Not saying you shot/shoot it a lot, but if you 'shot' it, that counts.

I always love pushing 'collector' buttons when people shoot their historic firearms (like they were supposed to be) and unwrap them from waxed paper and sealed foil bags, just so they can see and shoot them...:devilish:

Those Finn made / Finn captured refit rifles are a stand out in the field, almost elegant if the Nagant rifle could ever be referred to as such.
very nice example, these old war horses really get my blood flowing.