• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1940 Mosin Nagant 1891/30 marking on stock

Direct Assault

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2011
Usa
I just picked up a 91/30 from a buddy. It was made in 1940 by Izhevsk with a round receiver. It has stamps all over the stock. Some include numbers like 4,5, and a 6 in a box. Then there are letters like HH (not YY), P, D, U, A, and a C in a tombstone shape all in random places. Is there a meaning to these stamps? There is no scope mounting holes or a scope SN. The rifle SN is 56xx. I didnt know if there is a tracking page or anything. I would like to know more about the rifle. Anything would help.

Re: 1940 Mosin Nagant 1891/30 marking on stock

I forgot to mention there is a square with a singal diagonal line going from corner to corner

DA, Iv'e collected military guns for many years and have had several Mosin Nagants pass through my hands, I never kept any as I never really like them to much to be honest. The marking you are referring to are probably arsenal marks, inspectors marks, rebuilding marks and so on. You have to understand that the russians unlike the U.S. never threw anything away, even captured German weapons were eventually processed through re-building re-furbeshing programs and all only to be stored for what I don't know ?. It was only after the fall of the Berlin wall that all these weapons started coming out of the communist block countries in mass. Imagine that only over a million men supposedly surrendered at Stalingrad. If only I could go back in time just to pick up all those 98K right !!! Hope this helps....

DA, check this site for information from the members. BushcraftUSA.com. I also know there are others. A few years ago I picked up a sniper nagant and needed to know if it was an original or a put together and I did find a lot of info on the web..

DA,

Peter is correct, in that the marks on the stock are various inspector stamps, etc. Most of them are unidentified, to date. However, the box with a slash through it is a wood refurbishment marking. It can be found on original pre/wartime stocks that were refurbished, as well as postwar stocks that were made for the sole purpose of installing on refurbished rifles. The chances that the stock are original to that particular action are probably several million to one. I pretty much eat, sleep and breathe Mosins, especially snipers, so if you can post some good pics I would be able to tell you more about it. Also, check out www.mosinnagant.net and the Mosin collector's forum at Gunboards. They're probably some of the best resources you will find. Also, www.7.62x54r.net is a great resource site, but don't waste your time with their forum (for reasons I'm not even going to get into).

John

Thanks for the help guys. Great info. I would post pictures but my stupid phone wont allow image hosting and i dont know any other way to post pictures. I checked 7.62x54r.net and it helped quite a bit. I am very proud of this rifle and i cant wait to run some rounds through it.
Thanks again