• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1956 52C Winchester

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I bought this rifle from a fellow shooter for $500. It is a heavy target barrel and it needs some parts but could not afford to pass it up. The sights it has mounted shoot about 2 to 3 feet high at 25 and 50 yds. I borrowed some palma redfields sight and still shot about 1 foot high at 50 yds.

The 10 shot group you see in the pictures were shot at 100 yards with the Redfield Palma sight. I was adjusting as I was shooting this group. You can clearly see the windage and elevation adjustments.

Short of buying a Redfield Palma and making this rifle strictly a 100 yard plus rifle, can anyone recommend a simple fix. I do plan to buy a Ken Vianni mount for a scope but would like to use the iron sight for a while.

Re: 1956 52C Winchester

The rear sight is wrong for that set up. You should be using either the Redfield Palma or Olympic rear sights. The front sight could be bumped up as well. Try looking for a taller sight block.

The front sight is junk - look for about anything of quality to replace it - Annie 18mm 54 or 14xx/18xx, any of the Redfields if you want to stick with metal apertures. The Annie sights are easy to get adjustable apertures for and other accessories - levels, lenses, etc.

Also look at two step front bases - Champions Choice carries two different heights of them. They take you from 50 to 100 yds with hardly any change to the rear sight clicks.

Junk that rear sight too and put an Olympic, Palma, or RPA on it. Your elevation problems will go away.

I was getting ready to order the front base from Brownells. The highest they have is a .425 and was hoping this would be enough. Haven't ordered it yet. Was not sure if the Annie sights front and rear would fit my Winchester. Thanks for the information and looking guys.

Front yes with caveats rear no.

The 19xx/20xx Annie front sight will fit a standard base but the 54/14xx/18xx sight will not fit a 19xx/20xx dovetail without the sight being modified.

The standard bases Champions Choice sells for the front will take either sight without sight modifications.

Don't know of anything I'd order from Brownells for this fix, though I have not spent a bunch of time combing their catalog when I know Champions Choice has everything in stock I would need to fix your rifle.

Thanks for the update. I'll keep that in mind. Could not find it on the online store just on the catalog. Guess I have to order it that way. Thanks for the input and for looking.