• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1962 Remington 700 SN 10001 First Year Production

DeathBeforeDismount

Midpack Mafia
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
So i kind of inherited this rifle and was told it was special. It had been sitting in a case in a garage for probably 2 decades when I opened it up. Has some surface rust but should be able to clean it up. Its a .222 Remington that someone decided to drill the side of so they could add a williams scope mount and it has been drilled for a williams adjustable peep sight. I don't know a ton about these guns but after some research, the Date code is PJK, which should date it to 1962.

So here we have a Remington 700, from the first year of production, with a cool Serial Number (10001) that some dickcheese decided to drill into.

I have the entire gun torn apart and will start restoring everything soon. The trigger works but its all kinds of gummed up. Going to soak it in acetone then lube it up well before reinstalling.

Any idea if this gun had any kind of value if it wasn't molested? Is it possible to fill the mount holes drilled into side (right where it says remington 700). If I do send it out, its going to @LongRifles Inc.

Last edited:
A lot of those old Remington 700s came with the side holes drilled into them. They usually had slot head grub screws as fillers.

The “triple duece” was a premiere bench rest cartridge before the PPC was introduced. It set a few records… Nice rifle and what a blast to resurrect!

Reactions: Redheeler
If it is drilled on the side of the rear receiver bridge, it is factory, in the side of the receiver into the lettering of the name, not factory.

Early clip slot rem 700s in common calibers go for 550 ish unmolested.

Had one in the early ‘70s. Sold it after a couple of years, now I kick myself in the ass every time I think about it. Would love to find another one. Nice, nice shooters.