• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1974 6.5-20 x 40mm AO

kimberyote

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
madison county illinois
I have just received a 1974 6.5-20 x 40mm Vari III. I can really tell it is not even close to the clarity of my VX3 4.5-14 that is about 5 years old.
My question is if I send this scope back to leupold for some rehab work, how much improvement should I expect on such an older model scope?
Would it be worth having M4 turrets put on? As it stands right now, it really sucks. Maybe if the gas seals are bad and are replaced and they put new gas in it and polish the lenses could it be close to a newer model?
Thanks in advance!
I checked again on leupy website. It might be a 1997 model. Suffix E.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the same scope but the EFR version.I bought them about the same time 1997 & 1998. Both are crystal clear. I really do not see that much difference between them and my NightForce scopes. They both are clearer than my Vortex PST's FFP 4-16X50 scopes. Leupold's lifetime warranty is for the first and subsequent owners. I would send it back to Leupold for a checkup/

I've got an original Vari-X 3-9x33 I bought new in '91 and a Vari-x II 4-12x40 AO new in '94. Both have a pretty yellowish tone to the image, they're no where near as clear or bright as compared to some of my more modern hunting glass (vortex viper, Minox ZA3, Leupy mark AR, etc). Have been thinking about asking Leupold if they could do anything with them.

I have owned several old Leupolds over the years. Everyone that has been foggy, or have a yellowish tent I have sent back. Each one had the coating coming off the internal lenses or I think that Leupold said they were delaminating. At any rate send it in, I have always been happy with the results.

How would a person determine the price of a 20 year old leupy against a newer one with the latest and greatest lens coating that makes a big difference, (In my opinion) in the clearness and clarity? If the amount of clarity is noticeable, shouldn't that transfer to the price also?
I am also trying to decide wether to invest in a different crosshair and a M1 turret on this older model scope or just sell it and use the money for what I really want.
thanks for the replies!