• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1994 AWB. What was actually banned?

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good Afternoon Hide.

Question today is, what was actually banned by the 1994 AWB? I’ve read that ARs like the Colt was banned, and you could not have more than two parts of accessories on your AR. But could ARs still be purchased at gun shops during this time?

Goat

No bayo. Lug
No flash hider
No threading.
No mags over 10rounds in post ban guns.
Best I can remember.
You could skim around on the mags though. All you had to do was buy replacement mag bodies and add a follower and spring. I was big into open class in USPSA then. Glock STI, SVI and Para Ordnance made a killing during that time selling $100 mag bodies.

No dildos or donuts capable of attaching to bayonet lugs .

Are you planning on jumping in your delorean and traveling back to 1999 . Don't waste your time . Y2K was the biggest f'ing let down ever .
See there , I just save you a bunch of time and trouble .

I think collapsible stocks were pinned as well.

And was not Karma dealing it's sweet fucking revenge to the President who put his signature to the 94 AWB political clown show ? , Bill/Slick Willie given immortality in 90's American history . 'Couch Audition' for White House female interns, daily Knob-Job's, with phallic cigars on the iconic Oval Office Desk, DNA test Pecker track stain on the purple dress in the nightly News, and a real Impeachment.

You could not have a detachable mag and 2 or more of the fowllowing:
Muzzle device (it may have been threaded barrel)
Collasable stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet lug
Grenade launcher (yes I am not making that up)

Additionally all new mags had to be 10 rounds or less. I had ghetto 30 round surplus that were awesome but looked beatt to hell.

My OG AR was a Bushmaster 20 inch HBAR Fixed A2 stock (we despised colt back in the day) with no FH and a fixed stock. Bought in mid 90s. 30 years later, it has 'changed' somewhat lol.

You may now 'OK boomer'

So recievers made before Sept. 8 1994 were "pre-ban" and could have a bayonet lug and a flash hider. Prices on those tripled overnight. There was all that messing around with "large pin" Colts to make your M4 looking carbines. Man, those days sucked.

Don't forget the effect it had on crime.

artworks-000434544045-f3rf6t-t500x500.jpg

The only thing it did was get a lot of Republicans elected the time around.

My question is, were NFA items exempt from the scary features or did they have to be cucked as well?

You could not have a detachable mag and 2 or more of the fowllowing:

Bayonet lug

This one was my fucking favorite of all time. I was under 18 when that shit was passed and I while I never thought gun control was "good" that was when it really hit me that gun control isn't about crime, like, at all. I'm fairly confident no one has been criminally harmed by a bayonet mounted on a firearm in the past 60 years, so what's the point? Are "drive by bayonetings" a giant problem that the media just keeps quiet about? The federal AWB made me so fucking angry. It literally raises my blood pressure when I think about it.

Oh, OP, to expand on the answers you've gotten. Not long after it passed you could still get every gun, but it'd have some weird stuff. Like ARs couldn't have the collapsing M4 stocks we all take for granted now. But! There were fake ones! I have one... my first AR had a fake collapsing m4 stock. The buffer tube was full length and ran all the way to the back of the plastic stock when it was in the fully extended position (and it was pinned fully open). You could buy an AK, but it wouldnt have a bayonet lug, a folding stock, threaded muzzle or flash hider (muzzle brakes were still okay).

I actually had this thing next to my desk, so have some pics... After 2004 I drilled the pins out that held the plastic stock on, just to see what was going on under there. You can easily see how long the tube is and the holes. (this was from a factory Colt purchased in 2003) The threaded screw didnt really do anything, there were roll pins.

20230210_160809.jpg

20230210_160842.jpg

i may be remembering wrong but i was into C&R at the time and the import of a lot of collectible mausers was banned some way. i know uraguay had to send their surplus elsewhere. many ended up in germany and australia weird as that is. pretty sure they all got seized by the government when the confiscation thing went down. sks rifles were also a clinton move. the chinese guns were and still are 02 ffl. every other country's are C&R. pretty sure i am remembering this right.

You could still buy uppers with all the features.

Was anyone ever persecuted under that ban?