• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition 1st 1000 yd shoot and match

merrjm

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
jacksonville fl
Shot my first 1000 yd shot and match today. 1st relay 187-2x.
was pretty pleased with that,then the wind went really stupid and so did I. 2nd relay was 170-1x,then the wind got even stupider and i followed with a 143-2x. finishing with a 500 5-5x. alot of the guys were dropping points on the second 2 relays. overall i was happy with the results. now back to school for wind reading. and a few other things i need to work on(patience) ..

Re: 1st 1000 yd shoot and match

Wind is a biach ain't it.

I still get stupid but less so than in the past. I think shooting at 1000 is more about knowing when not to shoot than anything else. That's the hard part.

yup, there were no two flags blowing the same direction, then they would for a bit, then switch to a totally different direction or all which a way.it was definetly a learning experience. i will work on it; wind and patience and get better at it no doubt

where are you shooting 1000 yard matches around jacksonville?

drove over to american international marksmanship academy in blakely ga. north of bainbridge. there is also a range with 1200yd capability in swainsboro ga called cool acres sportsmans farm. both have pits. the one in blakely is a top notch place. there were shooters from all over the s.e. there. john whidden and some other national champ shooters were there shooting palma.whidden also shoots at cool acres which is a nice place also, though more of a mom and pop operation for now but doing a lot of ibs matches and a club match to 600yds. monthly..both are on the web coolacressportingcamp.com, marksmanshipacademy.com

I gotcha beat brother...oh wait a second, lower is only better in golf, right (LOL)? I had my 1st 1000 yd shoot today at Range 117, Camp Pendleton. Ended up with 180/2x, 172/0X, 145/1X, for a grand total of 497/3X. Wind was definitely a factor, went from 4-13 mph, at 9:00 (1st relay), 4:30-5:30 (2nd relay), and from 12:00 back to 3:00 during the final relay. I started the 3rd relay with 2-9's, followed by a 6 and 4 complete misses in a row as the wind shifted. Then I got it dialed back in and finished out reasonably well. After giving up 48 pts on 6 shots, I wasn't too displeased with a 145 on the final round. For never having shot past ~890 yds, it definitely could have been worse. There were 4 or 5 shooters that didn't even get on the target in the first relay in time to get any shots for score. Definitely a learning experience. I was happy to find out that although my MV put me close to the ragged edge with the rifle I was using (I had exactly 0.375 MOA elevation left in the scope), the Applied Ballistics ammunition performed flawlessly. Once I had the correct elevation dialed in, never had to change it and the vertical dispersion of my shots on target throughout the match was well under 1 MOA. Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed it, I definitely did. Gotta get better at wind reading though, in order to get my scores up to anything remotely decent.

Blakely, Ga will have a Regional Match on the third weekend of March, there will be a bunch of us there to shoot, as for me, I will be a glutton for punishment, taking my .223 to shoot. It will be fun! One of the guys that shot there this past weekend called me last night and it was his first time there, told me all about the place and how the wind is. Said that Stan Ellis said that actually, the winds that they had on Sunday were rather calm. Looking forward to the chance to shoot there. There will 8-10 of us comming down from Tennessee for that Regional match.

i met one of the guys from ten. there on sat. i am gonna try and get a few from fl to also come up for the regional shoot. hopefully the wind will be forgiving. the guy i was scoring for on the 3rd relay looked back at me and said "there aint a damn flag going the same direction"and then they would all switch to whatever direction they wanted to. it was definetely an eye opener.. but fun and i will do it again

What's the name of the range in Blakely, GA? Anyone have a schedule for F Class there?

Thanks,

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merrjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "there aint a damn flag going the same direction"and then they would all switch to whatever direction they wanted to. ... </div></div>

That should make you feel right at home if you can make it to Oak Ridge.
grin.gif

Most of the guys I spoke with at the match that shoot there often said the wind at 117 can be pretty challenging. The way I see it is that if I can improve my wind reading skills and shoot better under those types of wind conditions, then it ought to help my scores even when conditions are mild. Certainly can't hurt anyhow. FWIW - I looked at my math in the earlier post (LOL). I'm thinking it would be kinda difficult to give up 44 pts in 4 shots. It should have read "48 points in 6 shots".

Having had a couple days to digest the experience, I think the most difficult part of shooting at Range 117 was the fact that it faces due south and that there is no dirt berm behind the targets. Between looking straight up at the sun and trying to determine from the crack whether my shooter had fired or not, it made it extremely difficult to work the targets in a timely fashion. Having to wait up to 30-45 seconds on occasion to get the target back up made the shooting more of a challenge than it might have been otherwise. The good thing is that it's pretty much like the 8" rough at the U.S. Open: A) it's the same for everyone and B) if you don't like hitting from the rough, keep your ball in the fairway. Target service is generally a lot faster if you keep all the holes smack in the center (LOL).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshooter70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the name of the range in Blakely, GA? Anyone have a schedule for F Class there?

Thanks,

John </div></div>

marksmanshipacademy.com. i believe that unless it is a palma match only you will be able to shoot f/class. call over there and talk to Stan Ellis. he is running the long range stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merrjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my first 1000 yd shot and match today. 1st relay 187-2x.
was pretty pleased with that,then the wind went really stupid and so did I. 2nd relay was 170-1x,then the wind got even stupider and i followed with a 143-2x. finishing with a 500 5-5x. alot of the guys were dropping points on the second 2 relays. overall i was happy with the results. now back to school for wind reading. and a few other things i need to work on(patience) .. </div></div>Yep that wind is bitch aint it. An F class match was my first time at 1000. I didn't win anything but I did way better than I expected. Welcome to the addiction bro. By the way, ain't nothing wrong with those scores the first time out of the box. We all have to start somewhere. Some folks have been doing it a while and don't shoot much better. </div></div>

had the wind laid down or stayed the way it was on the first relay they woulda been somewhat better, but if a frog had wings.....i've been doing real good lately at 600 under different wind conditions, and will only get better, only been doing this for bout a year now with no end in sight...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merrjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshooter70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the name of the range in Blakely, GA? Anyone have a schedule for F Class there?

Thanks,

John </div></div>

marksmanshipacademy.com. i believe that unless it is a palma match only you will be able to shoot f/class. call over there and talk to Stan Ellis. he is running the long range stuff. </div></div>

Thank you!

John

The wind at Blakely was a little better on Sunday, but not by much. Looking forward to shooting the March match, hope to see yall there. Jonathan Smith