• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st 'big' PRS rifle: do I get the 6.5CM Howa in the Oryx chassis now (on sale) or wait for a 6 BR?

mikeshaw2

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
NoVA for now
Alternate thread title: Another stupid n00b question.

So the OD green Howa 1500 in the Oryx chassis is on sale a lot of places.

Do I bite the bullet and get one now to rebarrel to a 6CM or 6BR after X rounds? Wait till I can get what (I think) I really want?

I shoot rimfire PRS (MARS) matches now (badly!) but have been wanting a 'big' rifle for a while. The range where this is likely to be shot most goes out to 800yds

Can you turn a 6.5cm rifle into a 6BR relatively easily later?

Thoughts? Am I stupid for jumping into something I don't really want to get into centerfire PRS stuff?

M

Do you reload? If not, stick to creed.

You can change barrels, just look into how age prefits. It’s not rocket science but will require mag kits/different mags to switch to br.

Reactions: Digetydog
Can you turn a 6.5cm rifle into a 6BR relatively easily later?
Yes. It's a barrel change and some mag tweaking and a mag kit.

Thoughts? Am I stupid for jumping into something I don't really want to get into centerfire PRS stuff?
Depends how much you think you'll save. A new howa prefit from preferred is $440 + shipping. Are you going to save at least that much by compromising on the howa?

Everyone has a different weighted scale, how much does saving money move the needle for you, vice getting exactly what you want (even if piecemeal)?

Everyone has a different weighted scale, how much does saving money move the needle for you, vice getting exactly what you want (even if piecemeal)?
That's the $64k question, ain't it?!

I don't have a big rifle for PRS matches right now. Can't shoot something you don't have a rifle for. The Howa gets me into the game, but...

I do reload. Well... I have equipment to do .223 at the moment. My rounds go 'bang!' and seem to be relatively accurate. I'm a n00b at reloading too. Learning everything as I get farther down the path

M

Reloading 6BR for prs is as easy as popping in a 450 and tossing a 109 over some varget. Assuming you can get those things.

Provided the howa has a .062” firing pin (it won’t) you can swap to a br case just fine.
If it has a .078 firing pin you’ll need to bush the bolt face most likely before you try small primer cases.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
The Howa 1500 is great, but the Oryx chassis is lame.

Get an Origin (some are as good, none are better), a Bravo (some are better, none for the money), a TT (don't wuss out, get a Diamond), and then screw on a barrel (Proof prefits are ~$450, or you can use a Savage prefit and a barrel-nut for the same or less).

Don't buy an off the rack rifle unless it says Tikka Tac-A1 on it.

.308 gives you better barrel life and will be fine out to 800 with easier to find factory ammo if you don't load your own.

Origin in Bravo is a great combo, but feel free to "wuss out" and get a Primary or Special as TT says they're the exact same trigger only difference being that the trigger pull is lighter as you go up the price range (flame away, just what they told me over the phone)

Tikka CTR in a factory stock works fine IMO. Put in a Bravo with 2 screws if you prefer that.

You can always go to other rounds later, but for your first "big rifle", you will want to be able to find ammo for it. Preferably in larger lots.

I shoot rimfire PRS (MARS) matches now (badly!)

That is the most important part of the post. You are just starting out. Caliber is the last thing you should be worrying about because no matter what you choose you will suck and need to practice. Don't chase "what the pros use" and think you need a 6mm SUPA DUPA or you can't compete. Pick any caliber in a good rifle and go shoot. You can get a .223 and go shoot TAC division and learn on the cheap. If you don't load then look around and see what calibers are available for factory ammo and get that.

And the Origin and prefit info above is great. Much better way to go than a factory rifle. There was a great deal on some in the PX recently.

ETA Found this in PX. Get the Origin and one of those SS blanks in Heavy Palma or Competition for $1149 and a trigger and stock and you are good to go.

Last edited:
not that my opinion is worth spit , but anyway if you really want to shoot get what you can afford and learn have a good time doing it get better and get better equipment along if you still like it .

yes, it's very easy to turn 6CM into 6BR. Oryx is a great rigid platform capable of competing with other more expensive platforms.

I’m sure you already know about the slippery slope of competition gear…look at how many posts it took in this thread to divert you from a $700 setup into a custom action. I ran a howa 6 creed in a bravo for a year. It was a 1/2 moa gun with a good adjustable stock trigger. Me learning/sucking was the only thing holding me back. Buy the Oryx now, run it for a season, and you’ll still be able to recoup much of the initial cost. I know from experience that the firing pin will cause some issues with spicy loads and small primers, but you will probably have the itch to go with a custom action by the time you are ready to upgrade the barrel.

I’m sure you already know about the slippery slope of competition gear…look at how many posts it took in this thread to divert you from a $700 setup into a custom action. I ran a howa 6 creed in a bravo for a year. It was a 1/2 moa gun with a good adjustable stock trigger. Me learning/sucking was the only thing holding me back. Buy the Oryx now, run it for a season, and you’ll still be able to recoup much of the initial cost. I know from experience that the firing pin will cause some issues with spicy loads and small primers, but you will probably have the itch to go with a custom action by the time you are ready to upgrade the barrel.
I sidegraded from a BMR to a CZ 457 in rimfire rifles. It isn't the rifle that's holding me back so I'm not likely to spend more $$ till it's the rifle.

Course I say that now....

I know that a custom action is probably the 'buy once, cry once' option, but forking out the $$ as a n00b is a tough ask.

M

I sidegraded from a BMR to a CZ 457 in rimfire rifles. It isn't the rifle that's holding me back so I'm not likely to spend more $$ till it's the rifle.

Course I say that now....

I know that a custom action is probably the 'buy once, cry once' option, but forking out the $$ as a n00b is a tough ask.

M

Badrock, MPA, or a barreled action from PVA, Bugholes, etc. lots of smiths offering them off the shelf now. Also don't forget the PX - best deal on the nicest rifle will be found there. It's really more like buy right, never cry... depreciation on quality stuff is minimal, and you're less likely to want to change it up.

get an origin and proof prefit in 6.5CM or 6dasher or 223 from Front Range Precision

223 get 400 rounds of berger factory then reload from there (lapua brass)

6.5CM/6CM get 400 rounds of berger ammo to start then reload from there (lapua brass)

6dasher get some peterson brass and have fun not fireforming

6BR is fine and dandy if you don't mind spending an extra $300+ to get a prefit made

Howa rifles tend to shoot very well, they put out an occasional turd.
Nice actions with good factory triggers, very good bolts.
The oryx chassis is impressive for the price. I own two bravo chassis, I bought an oryx for my son. I like the oryx better, it feels more solid and doesn't cause pressure on the trigger.
The rifle can be converted to 6br later, there are mags made specifically for it to minimize the need for tweaking.