• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 1st buck with a smoke stick! (pic heavy)

garrett1107

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2008
State College, PA
Here are a few pics of my buck from late season flintlock here in PA. Since my dad and I are notoriously awful shots with our Hawken's, we both shot simultaneously at the 'giant' to make sure we got him. At ~30 yards, I believe he died from asphyxiation... or it could have been the .50 cal. 370 gr. Maxi Ball's through the chest. Not many people I know can say they took a buck with a flintlock in the late season, so I feel accomplished.

Also, excuse the quality of the photo, but the "tree stand" he was taken from is over the top. It stands 25 ft. at the floor, and is supported by 4 telephone poles. Stairs for access, insulated door and walls, 2 Buddy Heaters in the wall, 2 lazy boys, 6 full-size windows, gun cabinet, comfortable room for 3, you get the picture. Overlooking ~10 acres of corn, its almost too easy. The deer filled the field like clockwork at 3:30p, daily.

I enjoyed the luxurious style of hunting this year due to my success, but having such a reliable and modern hunting set up is hardly hunting at all. I prefer the chase.

Cheers,

Garrett

20ac9cg.jpg

2qwfyty.jpg

2uzfnzm.jpg

Re: 1st buck with a smoke stick! (pic heavy)

Sweet buck. I'm trying to set up a "tree stand" similar to what you have. I'm planting a fairly large clover field this spring, so yeah
grin.gif
. A pile of apples and a salt lick might be part of it too.

How about a picture from outside the stand as well! That looks like luxury hunting compared to my setup! Nice deer.

Preston

I wish i could call this stand my own, but i can't. It belongs to a friend of my dad. I dont have any pictures from the outside, but next time im in that area ill snap some.

@MontanaKid, I wish you the best of luck in building a hunting structure of this caliber.. I'll make sure i'm in PA when you need a helping hand.

@SkyScrapin, I built my lean-to ladder stand from 4, 16 ft, 2x4's when I was 12. It has been standing longer than the above stand. Function over Form.

Cheers,

Garrett

Nice deer. Used to be that a man might see a buck like that every 10 years or so in Pa. I hate to admit it but I guess the point restrictions are starting to work. That, and there seems to be a hell of alot less hunters than there used to be (at least where I hunt in Bradford County)

Are you hunting from your living room? j/k nice deer.