• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 1st chuck of the season.

SuperSeal110

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2005
Michigan
First chuck of '09. Got him out on the g/f's parents farm.

The shot was close, 40-45yds. The chucks do love broken cement slabs.

.17rem did it's job with the cheap MidwayUSA Dogtown .20g bullets. No exit, though it did rip a little of the chucks skin by the elbow. Turned the chuck into a jug of water.

DSCI0049.jpg

DSCI0046.jpg

Entry.
DSCI0047.jpg

No exit, but tore the skin.
DSCI0048.jpg

Last pest of the day.
DSCI0043.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

Re: 1st chuck of the season.

Every adult female chuck killed before June 1, leaves 4-6 little ones to starve in the den. If you want to eradicate chucks, keep shooting them in the spring. I have seen huge areas of prime chuck country in upstate NY totally devoid of chucks because of spring shooting, fencerow destruction and "Yotes". Works about as well as shooting doe deer at the same time.,,,, think on your hunting future.

Looks like SuperSeal's chuck is a nice male. But I agree on practising restraint until the pups are ready. Mr Humble how did you come up with June 1st? I'm just trying to educate myself on chucks. For my area it looks like we have 2-3 litters per season. I'm going to take a bud out next weekend to get some chucks. But he's shipping out and didn't get any chucks since his last deployment. After that I'll concentrate on scouting and fishing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every adult female chuck killed before June 1, leaves 4-6 little ones to starve in the den. If you want to eradicate chucks, keep shooting them in the spring. I have seen huge areas of prime chuck country in upstate NY totally devoid of chucks because of spring shooting, fencerow destruction and "Yotes". Works about as well as shooting doe deer at the same time.,,,, think on your hunting future. </div></div>

Now if you had a farm you would have a total different view on the early chuck shooting wouldn't you? Once you let them bread, theres more crops going to be ruined. That's a lot of $$$ being loosed just to shoot chucks. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a place to be able to shoot chucks all day, but when you see loans for 30k-40k for just crops, you think different...

With the economy taking a shit and it's harder and harder to get crop loans, I'll do my best on eliminating the crop eaters and saving my g/f's father some $$$ down the road.

When you find me a farmer that wants them around, plz, lemme know...

I wish the FUDD hunters would just stick to the other hunting websites.

Razor,

I've been very impressed with this little .17rem. So far it's what I grab for when I head out. Everything I've hit so far has been DRT. I've taken a groundhog, coon, crow, and countless muskrats. Everything died with one shot.

My .223ai was 17.5lbs and with some swapping around/chopping, it's down to about 14.5lbs. Nothing you want to lug around for a long distance. Mainly used for my 1k range gun.

My .204 is another heavy truck axle. With the DPMS 24" upper, it's around 10lbs without any optics. Needless to say, it sits in the safe with little to no use.

I do have a light weight .223ai build that should be done around Aug/Sept time. Going to identical to my .17rem, but a different color McM stock and the barrel will be 21". I'll have a tough time deciding on which one to carry then.

June 1st applies to Finger Lakes area of upstate NY based on input from DEC biologists. While I agree chucks are destructive, so are deer.
If you want to continue chuck hunting, some restraint is in order. If you want to maximize crop production, kill all the chucks, deer, crows, other animals that eat crops, cut down all the woodlots and tear out all the hedgerows. We did the same thing once before in another area of the USA... it became known as the dustbowl.I don't live in NY anymore and we have no shortage of gophers and p-dogs here. So you do whatever you want, but principles of conservation apply to all species that we wish to perpetuate for future hunters. Not many folks still alive who remember when the White Tail deer was almost extinct in NYS.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">June 1st applies to Finger Lakes area of upstate NY based on input from DEC biologists. While I agree chucks are destructive, so are deer.
If you want to continue chuck hunting, some restraint is in order. If you want to maximize crop production, kill all the chucks, deer, crows, other animals that eat crops, cut down all the woodlots and tear out all the hedgerows. We did the same thing once before in another area of the USA... it became known as the dustbowl.I don't live in NY anymore and we have no shortage of gophers and p-dogs here. So you do whatever you want, but principles of conservation apply to all species that we wish to perpetuate for future hunters. Not many folks still alive who remember when the White Tail deer was almost extinct in NYS....... </div></div>

That is what I am doing. I shoot every deer, goose, and groundhog I can put cross hairs or a bead on. And I shoot crows for fun since they like destroying my trash. I also gas the hogs when I have time.

Ground hogs don't contribute anything and the dustbowl wasn't caused by killing animals. It was caused by plowing under sod to raise row crops. We don't plow anymore. Chemicals control most of the weeds.

Deer and ground hogs are smart and adaptable enought that they will never be extinct. Not with all the housing devolopments around.

Hey not so humble, you ever shoot a cow elk or antelope doe after october 1st? tell us the difference between that and shooting a female rodent before june 1st. one is o.k. but the other is not?

GET A CLUE!!!!!

My comment was dealing with public lands since I don't have access to farms. My understanding is in my area farmers aren't allowed to poison varmints to control there populations. So hunting them early makes sense to control populations. On public lands I like to make sure the litters have a chance so that I'll have good hunting lands for the future.

man mother f*ckers cant just stay the fuck out of a good chuck thread... its just sick... if you dont have anything good to day shut the fuck up... one chuck or 100 chucks... it does not matter because there is still a shit load of them that you never see... and there is a huge diff. between deer and chucks... i have never ran over a deer hole with the haybine and got a bill from new holland for 4500$...

.17rem strikes yet again, but on a buddies farm. Few crop eater we won't miss.
DSCI0052-1.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Nice job SuperSeal!!! Dammit cuz of you I'm green with envy. Still gimpy over here but I'm going to sight in the AR..... Maybe I should be thanking you.

Grin. Spent today shooting grackles and starlings with the .17M2's at the buds farm. Beautiful day for that.

Damn, SS110! your getting me in the mood......see how many i can shoot before june 1st!

Keep rollin em !!!

A buddy got one yesterday behind our house off our private drive. I had to go onto his turf and bust one. Wasn't planning on shooting a chuck there. Originally went to sight in a .17m2 for today and spotted another male in the tall grass watching me.

I don't know how the .204 does on groundhogs, but on our rockchucks with 39 BKs it will get the smaller ones good air time and it will knock a big chuck down with out a problem.

Nice going SS.

Only shot s few Ghogs with the .204 when I had my pencil thin one. .204 was a good rnd for the Ghogs. I was shooting the cheap 34g midway dogtown bullets.

I have a brick of 500, 39g blitzkings for the AR I neeed to load up.
DSCI0618-1.jpg

nice clean kills....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only shot s few Ghogs with the .204 when I had my pencil thin one. .204 was a good rnd for the Ghogs. I was shooting the cheap 34g midway dogtown bullets.

I have a brick of 500, 39g blitzkings for the AR I neeed to load up.
DSCI0618-1.jpg

</div></div>

Guess those made it past the June 1st, but not by much...

Those were from a couple years back.

My buddy says that he likes his 204 better than his 17 Rem. "Less fincky" is how he puts it with about the same killing power. He don't think they blow them up like the 223 does. 500 38 BlitzKings,... now I got something else covet
wink.gif
. I have about 300 55gr Spire Points that I'm gonna try. After that it will be some 69gr CC and whatever else I can get my hands on.