• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1st handgun purchase?

Nac

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
NJ
I am looking to get my 1st handgun just waiting on my pistol permit. I have shoot handguns before my brother is a SO I bought him a Sig 226 9mm for his graduation 5 years ago and mostly shoot that and his Glock 23/22 .40. I am looking at maybe a Wilson Combat CQB. This will only be for range use, I am new to my own handgun so what is the basic difference from the 3 guns I have shoot and the 1911. Any recommendations and points would be helpful.

Re: 1st handgun purchase?

All 3 of the pistols you are considering are good pistols. The Wilson is a custom made 1911.Fit and finish is excellent.They are also very accurate and reliable.The only down side is the cost, about 2000 dollars. Glocks and Sigs are good pistols also at much cheaper prices. The Glock is the simplest pistol to use and maintain of the three. If this is your first handgun purchase I would reccommend the Glock.

The Wilson is great and so are the Sigs. Take a look at the S&W and Springfield lines as well. HK is a personal favorite no matter the caliber. Try to find a range that rents pistols and try a few to see what fits your hand and feels right. The new Sig 226 or 220 Elite Dark with the short reset trigger, HK 45, Kimber crimson Covert, and Sig 556P are all on my shopping list this summer. If range use is your primary purpose, I would consider ammo price and/or the availability of a 22 conversion. 9mm is typically the cheapest centerfire pistol round available. I picked up a 22 conversion for my Kimber 1911 last Christmas and find myself shooting it a whole lot more nowadays. Last week alone I put a whole 550rn brick through it for a whopping cost of $14. If that sounds interesting to you, look at the Sig 220,226,229; 1911 (non-sig, the conversions don't seem to fit); the Beretta 92; and some of the more popular Glocks (I can't suggest a model for Glocks, I'm a Glock hater, maybe someone else can suggest a model).

well i plan on reloading soon just bought a case of Laupa factory ammo (.308) so I will be setting up to reload so will relaod for the handgun also. i can shoot my brothers glock or sig any thime that why i was thinking the Wilson Combat

A good quality 5" 1911 in .45 is a very versatile pistol and an excellent place to start. If you have the money you can't go wrong with the Wilson. I still use my Wilson and have kept it since Bill built it for me in 1984. What you buy today, and start with, you may not end up with. But it's the journey that matters and not the equipment you have at a given moment.

i happen to have a low serial # CQB commander match BBL with 4-5 mags still like new finished in all green by Wilson
that im going to be posting really soon just need to get pics its a gret gun im just swamped with 1911's and need to thin the heard

All three are great pistols. It's cliche to say, but you really can't go wrong with any model from any of those manufacturers. I think the Glock (Model 19 in particular) might be the perfect handgun for new shooters. It's simple, reliable, and competitively priced. If money is not an object, then check out the Wilson. It's a hell of a pistol that is backed by a hell of a company. If it were me though, I'd rather get a "cheaper" Glock and spend the rest on mags, ammo, and training. Take your time finding the right gun for you. I'll pay dividends down the road. Cheers!

I say XD. I would hate to get my Wilson scratched up during every day carry. In my opinnion the XD is better than the glock in every way. I know Glock lovers will disagree, but I have the compact 4" .45 XD and it is perfect for carry. Never had a problem. I carry a Sig 229 as well and it works great.

Matthew

Buy a Glock with necessary gear (holster/mags/etc) and a truck load of ammo. Think about going to a handgun school and practice, practice, practice.

Louis Awerbuck would be my recomendation. He's in your neck of the woods in Aug... http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

There are several other reputable instructors/schools out there, I'm just not familiar with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say XD. I would hate to get my Wilson scratched up during every day carry. In my opinnion the XD is better than the glock in every way. I know Glock lovers will disagree, but I have the compact 4" .45 XD and it is perfect for carry. Never had a problem. I carry a Sig 229 as well and it works great.

Matthew </div></div>

+1

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">GLOCK</span>

You are in NJ - so get a G19 / 9MM with 15 round mags, the legal limit here</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say XD. I would hate to get my Wilson scratched up during every day carry. In my opinnion the XD is better than the glock in every way. I know Glock lovers will disagree, but I have the compact 4" .45 XD and it is perfect for carry. Never had a problem. I carry a Sig 229 as well and it works great.

Matthew </div></div>

In my opinion, a tool is worthless if you're not willing to use it. If I had a wilson, it'd probably be as worn as my Kimbers are.

The XD is far from better than the Glock in "every" way. It does have more durable magazines, a better trigger, and better factory sights, and a grip angle that I like better.

It also has a really high bore axis, which IMO, destroys all of the good features it has. Bore axis height is the biggest factor in recoil control and follow-up shots.

It's really too bad the XD is this way. In September, they were available for $420 with 4 mags--a GREAT value. Obama's election drove the price up considerably.

The S&W M&P is the new polymer on the block. It combines some of the best features of the Glock and XD. It has a light trigger with a short reset, the 1911 grip angle, interchangeable grip backstraps, etc.

I prefer 1911s, but the M&P is my favorite of the polymers. The compact M&P is all wrong, though. It's just too small. The Glock 19 has that market cornered (and the G19 has a 4" barrel, too!).

For the OP,

I'm sure you'll like a Wilson, but there are a lot of nice 1911s on the market. I have shot a Wilson, and the performance/fit did not fit the price tag...but if you must have a nice, semi-custom 1911, go for it. For the price they're charging, though, I think you could get a full-custom 1911 just the way you want it rather than a cookie cutter model.

man everyone will say to get a glock..... theyre good ...but in my opinion a springfield xd would be perfect for you to learn on! they have far less recoil than most pistols on the market,a lifetime warranty, and are based off a mix between a glock,sig , and 1911 utilizing the best aspects of all three! check out the springfield armory website. i own 4 glocks and 2 xd's i carry my xd .357 which is chambered in .357sig. our dept. is going to the xd's later this year. ive put over 5k rounds through my xd.45 and no problems what so ever !!!!!!! and less money to buy than a glock or a 1911 ,and hold a better resale value. glock have become overrated due to popularity but still a good gun! before buying at least compare the 3 as far as the way they feel in your hand and an if you can test fire all three and compare ..... it will ultimately ome down to whatever you personal preference is ,but t least compare the three before you buy!

All are great choices....but don't overlook the CZ's....affordable and very reliable...

B.

Sig or H&K if you can afford it.....Glock , Springfield XD , M&P if you can't......just my take on it.....Good luck on your choices. You might want to consider price and availability of the caliber you are considering because do to the Obama craze people are grabbing everything off the shelves... SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig or H&K if you can afford it.....Glock , Springfield XD , M&P if you can't......just my take on it.....Good luck on your choices. </div></div>

I have owned everything in your list besides the XD.

You give no evidence why the HK or Sig are superior to the Glock, M&P, or XD.

Both require a user to learn a double action/single action operating system (unless you carry the HK C&L), which, IMO, makes them far less desirable than the polymers mentioned here.

I would rather have a Glock, XD, or M&P over any Sig or HK.

Everyone has their preferences......I gave you mine... I have owned XD's as well, the one I had produced massive amounts of FTF's but I think I had a bad one, I would be willing to try another but in XD M but I have a friend that had horrible luck with his XD M in 40 cal. ( and other's tried his XD M and it shot like crap.)and sold it ..... I have had the best results with H&K and customized 1911's and Glocks but I hate the way a glock feals in the hand and so that leaves H&K , Sig or a nicely customized 1911 for my choice. As far as preferences between double action / single action, I can quickly adapt by memory and I really could care less on which one I grab. I like many weapon platforms and I refine the ones I have when I see a weakness and if it proves unreliable or not confidence inspiring, I sell it. I like my 1911's, I like my H&K's, sold my glocks but I wont knock them, sold my XD but won't knock them. I have owned and shot many brands and versions, I just gave you my opinions..Once again, good luck with your choices......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The compact M&P is all wrong, though. It's just too small. The Glock 19 has that market cornered (and the G19 has a 4" barrel, too!).

</div></div>

To each his own. I have the XD compact and M&P compact in .40 S&W as well as the G23. All good, all reliable, all affordable at the time, though I got absurdly great deals on the Glock and the Smith! Also have the M&P full size .45; also a great pistol!

To the OP, don't get sidetracked by opinions as there is no end to them. Your task is to make a decision, buy extra mags and ammo, a good holster or two and practice, practice, practice.

If you plan on carrying concealed, I think you'll find the compact XD or M&P a better fit than a G19 or 23. Additionally, stainless is good for close contact wear and sweat resistance!

smith & wesson model 60 in .357 Mag or .38 spl. +p

ruger sp101 in .357 mag

much easier to conceal carry.

or if you're looking for a semi,

SA XD .45 acp service or compact with rear safety. similar muscle memory to a 1911.

good luck and keep shooting.

I second the journey comment and the no end to opinions comment and all three of your choices. In a perfect world, all law abiding men that pay taxes would own a BHP, any Sigg, a 1911, any of the Glocks, and a nice .22 for all day shooting.

Rare it is for someone to tell me, "I just have this one pistol..."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The compact M&P is all wrong, though. It's just too small. The Glock 19 has that market cornered (and the G19 has a 4" barrel, too!).

</div></div>

To each his own. I have the XD compact and M&P compact in .40 S&W as well as the G23. All good, all reliable, all affordable at the time, though I got absurdly great deals on the Glock and the Smith! Also have the M&P full size .45; also a great pistol!

To the OP, don't get sidetracked by opinions as there is no end to them. Your task is to make a decision, buy extra mags and ammo, a good holster or two and practice, practice, practice.

If you plan on carrying concealed, I think you'll find the compact XD or M&P a better fit than a G19 or 23. Additionally, stainless is good for close contact wear and sweat resistance! </div></div>

I love my M&P. I just wish the compact model had a little bit longer grip. I have the 5" 9mm pro model, and the trigger is excellent.

I'm pretty sure the XD would be hard to conceal, but I've never owned one.

Any smaller polymer pistol is a joy to carry. I have carried the G19 OWB with just a t-shirt covering it with great success.

When I get older I may take to wearing the Guayabera type shirt common to older Latin men! I'm not Latin, though I did marry into a Cuban family! That shirt is great for carrying outside the waist band in comfort and still concealed.

At any rate I carry IWB with rare exceptions such as night carry, post hurricane property watch and winter where a good cover is easily worn. As it gets pretty steamy here in Tampa, I'm partial to stainless but the Glock finish is amazing and is probably as good as stainless.

My XD Compact .40 is indeed wider in the slide than the M&P. Honestly, (Here it comes) I have a Taurus Millenium compact .45 that fits IWB even better than the XD or Smith! And it's 10 rounds of.45!

Yes I own a Taurus...

Quee.....So how do you like cleaning the Millenium...hahaha I've heard they are a sweet piece......until you have to take it apart and clean it..... Grab a can of Break free and a high pressure air hose and have it ready to blow the cleaner off and that should do the trick...... It's all good....SmokeRolls

xdm 40 my recent favorite. too big to conceal but a damn good shooter. had a fnp 40 better size and felt better in my hand but had reliability problems with the plastic fire control housing cracking. shot several glocks don't the the unnatural angle of the handle. xd is the way to go!!!

I will break it down for you:

1911 = superb combat handgun if operator takes the time to learn to handle it properly and ONLY trains with same type firearm.
Condition one is the ONLY reccomeneded method of carry and this takes a bit of discipline. avg time to master this firearm = 24 to 30 hours 1500 rounds rounds

SIG = excellent combat hangun, trigger change from double to single takes a bit of getting used to, but can safely be carried round in chamber, de-cocked like a revolver for the first shot.
avg time to master this firearm = 16 hours 1000 rounds

GLOCK = as close to an "idot proof weapon" ever designed. Trigger same for every shot, REQUIRES holster that covers the trigger card, very easy to learn. A few pros shun these due to their simplistic nature, however imho, a sidearm is something you use to fight your way back to your rifle or shotgun, and in this capacity the glock shines. utterly reliable, wet, dirty, upside down. every time to squeeze the trigger you will hear a load bang. thats the #1 reason most carry them.
They are NOT target guns, you will never get one to shoot groups like a 1911.
avg time to master = about a day. 200 or so rounds

Shoot them all if you can, then purchase the one that "feels" right.

No one can tell you when you are in love, you just know it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quee.....So how do you like cleaning the Millenium...hahaha I've heard they are a sweet piece......until you have to take it apart and clean it..... Grab a can of Break free and a high pressure air hose and have it ready to blow the cleaner off and that should do the trick...... It's all good....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Cleaning?

It's not significantly different than any other pistol, though I now feel the need to drag it out of the safe to see what you are referring to...

I like it even though MegaCab thinks they suck
grin.gif
I don't bring it up often though as I don't want him to stop sending me pictures of his harem dolls!

Actually I bought it to commemorate the death of a buddy three years ago. I'll keep it regardless of Jack's cruel slights of the Brazillian pistol!

Well if you don't mind spending the money for a Wilson then you might as well get an STI or SVI 2011 type high cap because there is not a better more reliable pistol.Go for 40S&W also.

There is a Millenium custom in the firearms for sale section that is KICK ASS!!!.As a matter of fact I'll sell you my STI edge so I can get my hands on that thing.

As far as inexpensive I'd go for the S&W MP

Steve

for a range gun you will have a hard time getting something better than a 1911 . The triggers are great and accurate . I would look for a used high end gun and get a 22lr upper from dawson precision to play with

If you're willing to spend the money on a Wilson, go for it. I would say you'll probably never need another gun, since that will serve many purposes (certainly including range use), but I don't know many gun enthusiasts who stop at one. Wish I could've afforded a Wilson for my first gun, that's for sure!

I would say a 1911 Springfield Armory. if you don't like something about it change it (its like the chevy of pistols). My every day carry gun is a HK USP 45. 12 round, I wont give it up! However cost and use is very important.

I would get the one that works and fits you the "best". I would go and try everything you can get your hands on. Try a 9mm, .40, .45. Try a Glock, XD (XDM), 1911 (or clones), 226, and the list goes on. I ama engineer by job and education. The Glock is the "engineers" pistol. They work and work well. Problem for me is they dont fit me well. For me the XDM is my carry.

one other point. get ammo, lots and lots of ammo and learn that pistol.