• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st ladder test

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Shot at 200 yards no pressure signs all the way up from 41.5 to 45. First time shooting a ladder test so where should I go from here

Attachments

• 0812181619.jpg
    0812181619.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 141
200 yards is iffy for a ladder. Usually need around 300 min, and ideally 5-600 if you can. That being said, work with 42.5-43.2. Impacts are fairly consistent in that range

If I didn't have to go 4 hours round trip and a wife fighting morning sickness I would have done 3 or 400 lol thanks

I see 41.5 high then down to 41.7 then up to 42 then down to 42.2 and I'm thinking either two out of four are you or that isn't the load.
42.5 through 43.2 look like there might be a node there. You might make and shoot 3 each of those and see what you think. 43.7 through 45 are showing a lot of vertical. Again it is either you or that is not the load. If there is a node at 43 then, in my experience, there should be another node in the range you shot - like the man said above, maybe around 45 but watch yer pressure.

I guess I am old-fashioned - I think 200 yards is fine for determining charge weights. On first try, you used single shots. Now that you have a better idea, I would switch to 3-shot groups then 5 shot groups.

FWIW, I have four .308 rifles, 2 bolt guns and 2 semi's, they all shoot the same ammo pretty well. I use Lake City LR and Lapua cases , IMR 4064, Federal 210M, and Sierra 175s. My optimum charge weight is 41.5 grains. My COL is 2.825 plus or minus about .005 (mostly bullet length variation), I seat with a Winson die. I use a .332 neck button. That yields a before-seating neck ID of .303. A .333 button also works but neck tension is lighter so not quite as good when feeding from a magazine. Because Federal primers are pretty soft, anything over about 42.5 grains is too hot in me. You might try that combination. In my guns it shoots pretty much the same as FGMM.

I see 41.5 high then down to 41.7 then up to 42 then down to 42.2 and I'm thinking either two out of four are you or that isn't the load.
42.5 through 43.2 look like there might be a node there. You might make and shoot 3 each of those and see what you think. 43.7 through 45 are showing a lot of vertical. Again it is either you or that is not the load. If there is a node at 43 then, in my experience, there should be another node in the range you shot - like the man said above, maybe around 45 but watch yer pressure.

I guess I am old-fashioned - I think 200 yards is fine for determining charge weights. On first try, you used single shots. Now that you have a better idea, I would switch to 3-shot groups then 5 shot groups.

FWIW, I have four .308 rifles, 2 bolt guns and 2 semi's, they all shoot the same ammo pretty well. I use Lake City LR and Lapua cases , IMR 4064, Federal 210M, and Sierra 175s. My optimum charge weight is 41.5 grains. My COL is 2.825 plus or minus about .005 (mostly bullet length variation), I seat with a Winson die. I use a .332 neck button. That yields a before-seating neck ID of .303. A .333 button also works but neck tension is lighter so not quite as good when feeding from a magazine. Because Federal primers are pretty soft, anything over about 42.5 grains is too hot in me. You might try that combination. In my guns it shoots pretty much the same as FGMM.

Yeah 41.5 is my goto on 175 smk and 168 Nosler BT. Just Wanting a little higher speed
What is the caliber?