• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 1st LPVO under $1,000

C_R_Slacker

Slowpoke R.
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I'm moving my red dot from my 16" carbine to a new 300blk pistol. I'm looking to replace the red dot with a LPVO. I've never had a scope of this style, so i don't know if i will even like one. I'm wanting to try one out without dropping big money on a top tier optic.

I want the most red dot like experience on 1x with a useful bdc or mil reticle for shooting at distance. Daylight bright is a must. I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere, and this is what I've come up with. Let me know if there is a good option I'm leaving out.

Steiner p4xi 1-4 and trijicon accupoint 1-4. I would rather have a 1-6, but these seem to be highly regarded for their 1x performance and seem to be good value for the money. I wish trijicon would offer one of their acog like reticles in the accupoint, but i guess i can live with the triangle post.

Other than those two, I'm not seeing many in the same price range that are widely recommended. There are some newer, less proven models out that look promising on paper, but I'm having problems finding reviews on them. These are the u.s. optics ts 1-6, meopta optika, and athlon midas btr. All are 1-6, which i like, and all have usable reticles, but i haven't heard any info on reticle brightness, glass, durability, eyebox, etc.

Any help is appreciated. I'd prefer to buy new, and i really want to stay in the price range of the optics listed above. Thanks in advance.

Man eurooptic was selling g2 1-6’s for $899 a couple weeks back. There’s no reason you should pay more than $775 for a used g2 razor 1-6. Can you find a better optic for the money? No. You’re spending at least 400-500 more for a used mk6 or nx8.

Reactions: hk dave
Man eurooptic was selling g2 1-6’s for $899 a couple weeks back. There’s no reason you should pay more than $775 for a used g2 razor 1-6. Can you find a better optic for the money? No. You’re spending at least 400-500 more for a used mk6 or nx8.

Yeah, i knew someone would mention that, haha. I don't have the money right now, so any current amazing deals are off the table. That, and I'm a weight weenie, haha. That's the main reason I'm unsure about lpvo's in general. I'd like to stay as light as possible, at least until i get used to it, then maybe move into a genii-e if i like the lpvo in general.

The weight is in the exact center of the rifle with a g2.

Also—why on God’s green earth would you prefer to ever buy a new vortex? PM the seller for the S/N. Confirm S/N with Vortex. If it adds up then you literally have no worries. Or you could pay $400 more for a cool sticker. Dumb.

I'd probably stick with the P4Xi 1-4x24. It is pretty light and very good on 1x. Given that you switching from a red dot, 4x top end is probably enough.

When you are ready to buy, if you manage to find a Razor within your budget, it is definitely an excellent option. The C-more, unless something has changed, is a perfectly decent scope, but not the equal of the Razor. It is the same OEM design that everyone uses.

Another scope to keep an eye on is Sig Tango6 1-6x24. Every once in a while I see these on a deep discount.

ILya

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
The weight is in the exact center of the rifle with a g2.

Also—why on God’s green earth would you prefer to ever buy a new vortex? PM the seller for the S/N. Confirm S/N with Vortex. If it adds up then you literally have no worries. Or you could pay $400 more for a cool sticker. Dumb.

I didn't see where i wanted a vortex except that i might consider a genii-e AFTER i initially tried a lpvo to see if i even liked that style of scope. You do you, I'll do me. If you have nothing else to add, stfu.

Seriously...who is dumb here? I said i prefer to buy new. You say buy used. I said I'm a weight weenie and want to keep it AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE and you recommend the heaviest scope in the category. I have my reasons. You don't have to agree, but to recommend the exact opposite of the OP isn't contributing to the thread and is the exact reason i hesitate to even ask. Every this vs that thread devolves into something stupid because people like you can't answer the question asked.

Last edited:
Steiner 1-4 with plenty of room in the budget for a good mount. Price on the vortex viper pst gen 2 1-6 is coming down close to the steiner. Very good as well with a smidge more top end. Not too cluttered reticle and if you know how to use sterelok ballistic apps you can get a pretty good idea of where your rounds will drop. Both daylight bright, good glass, quality companies. I will be running both next month for run and guns.

Razor2 all day long, regardless of weight imo.
to me the weight gain is a small price to pay vs the PX4 (which is a great scope for the money!) when your budget is $1000 unless weight is the most important factor.

I've read that the Vudu 1-6 is also very good, but I have zero experience with that optic.

Here’s the challenge. Without spending more money you aren’t going to know how much you really like them. That’s because the higher $ 1-6 optics are going to have a better eyebox, features and illumination. They are also going to be heavier because they are more robust, bigger tubes, etc.

I just went through this same decision. I really wanted the Kahles 1-6 for the low weight and great 1x performance but didn’t want to drop $1,600 on a used one.

I ended up budging on my weight savings and got the Razor. It’s been awesome. I wish it weren’t as heavy because this is on my run n gun rifle but I couldn’t afford lightweight & performance. I couldn’t imagine liking one with less performance though as I had tried a lesser model previously and I didn’t care for it because it was really just “meh” at everything.

If you really don’t know if you’d like it then buy the Midas that Doug has on sale for $219. It’s going to be just about the best chance for a “not sure if I’ll like it optic” without dropping 2x as much coin. Just know that the performance and usability is going to go along with the price vs what you’ll get into with something like the Vortex or Kahles.

I think you aren’t getting the answer you’d hoped for because that answer doesn’t really exist. Now if someone would hit the market with a 1-6 with the performance of the razor at under 18oz for less than $1k? Sign me up.

Here’s the challenge. Without spending more money you aren’t going to know how much you really like them. That’s because the higher $ 1-6 optics are going to have a better eyebox, features and illumination. They are also going to be heavier because they are more robust, bigger tubes, etc.

I just went through this same decision. I really wanted the Kahles 1-6 for the low weight and great 1x performance but didn’t want to drop $1,600 on a used one.

I ended up budging on my weight savings and got the Razor. It’s been awesome. I wish it weren’t as heavy because this is on my run n gun rifle but I couldn’t afford lightweight & performance. I couldn’t imagine liking one with less performance though as I had tried a lesser model previously and I didn’t care for it because it was really just “meh” at everything.

If you really don’t know if you’d like it then buy the Midas that Doug has on sale for $219. It’s going to be just about the best chance for a “not sure if I’ll like it optic” without dropping 2x as much coin. Just know that the performance and usability is going to go along with the price vs what you’ll get into with something like the Vortex or Kahles.

I think you aren’t getting the answer you’d hoped for because that answer doesn’t really exist. Now if someone would hit the market with a 1-6 with the performance of the razor at under 18oz for less than $1k? Sign me up.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I know buy once cry once, you get what you pay for. And i don't have an issue buying top tier glass, it's just that when it comes to lpvo's in general, I'm not sure if i even like the category. But i get that a lower/mid tier lpvo might not be good enough to even get a good feeling of what they can really do. Sounds like the steiner might be the best bet for trying one out for now. Then, after i have more experience with it and have time to save money, i get get something top of the line.

If you're looking for a red dot like experience, I'm sorry to say, you're likely going to be disappointed.

The awesomeness of a red dot is that you don't have to be perfectly shouldered or even in any really good position to see the thing.

With a LVPO, it's a non moving crosshair. You have to be behind the rifle. It is not nearly as forgiving as a red dot.

I've tried a few different LVPOs and I always come back to the Razor because it has a very forgiving eyebox... nothing like a red dot, but it's enough where you don't have to be perfect.

I know you are not currently in the market for one, but in the future when funds clear up and you can find an E version of the Razor, might be worth a look.

If you're looking for a red dot like experience, I'm sorry to say, you're likely going to be disappointed.

The awesomeness of a red dot is that you don't have to be perfectly shouldered or even in any really good position to see the thing.

With a LVPO, it's a non moving crosshair. You have to be behind the rifle. It is not nearly as forgiving as a red dot.

I've tried a few different LVPOs and I always come back to the Razor because it has a very forgiving eyebox... nothing like a red dot, but it's enough where you don't have to be perfect.

I know you are not currently in the market for one, but in the future when funds clear up and you can find an E version of the Razor, might be worth a look.

I have a feeling there is a good chance this is the road I'll go down, haha. But i want to try something cheaper and lighter at first. If i can get used to the eyebox and added weight, maybe jumping to a razor won't feel like such a drastic change from a red dot.

I don’t think you’ll find one that’s exactly like a red dot, it’s just the nature of the beast. Love my Aimpoint and I’m fast with it. The Razor isn’t far behind though. You have to be a little better on your form but I recently competed with it for the first time and loved it. There were 4 rifle stations on the course that ranged from 40 yards to 500 yards. I took 1st place in 2 of them and 2nd in another. It was just as fast as my red dot up close and no trouble seeing the 500 target.

I don’t see myself going back to a red dot for that type of shooting. IMO you can’t beat a good LPVO for versatility within 500 yards.

I just don't see where people need daylight bright dots on lpvo's. If the sun is that bright then the reticle should be blaringly obvious. With a reddot you only have the dot and if it washes out in bright sun then you have nothing to aim with. I have shot competitons with distant targets not painted or back dropped by forest and could still see the reticle plain as day. These are with sfp low powers so maybe a ffp low power would be pretty small and hard to make out.

I just don't see where people need daylight bright dots on lpvo's.
Same reason red dots are so fast up close. You don't need to focus on the reticle, or even focus through the scope really. Pull the rifle up, keep both eyes open, see a bright spot floating on a target and pull the trigger. I ran a non daylight bright scope for years, and there's no doubt that I shaved fractions of seconds off my close range snap shooting especially while moving when I went to a bright dot.

I have a Trijicon Accupower 1-8 on my 300 blackout SBR. It is my second LPVO (the other is a Leupold 1.5-4). I like the Trijicon and would buy it again. I find I like the flexibility of 6x, meaning I keep it there when I run magnification during qualification because it works at all ranges for my eyes. At longer ranges, 100 yds, the full 8x is nice. Big, it is a good sized optic as far as diameter. It is plenty bright for me and my experiences. I have a friend with a Vortex 1-6xand it is nice too. I also have a friend with the Trijicon 1-6x Accupoint and it is nice glass. I wanted the features of the 1-8 Accupower.

I know you said under $1,000. I have seen this one on sale for under $1100. I think it was on sale within the last week too.

As far as LPVO go...I like mine much more than adding a magnifier. With that said on a small SBR or pistol a good red dot will help keep the weight down.

Mike