• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
My buddy bought a thin filmed wp from nvd (via another company) and I think I would rather have this than a thermal . As I understand I could go filmless for more performance but the thin filmed seem to do more then enough. i Will primarily use this for hunting within 100-150 yards On my lease.

couple of questions, who are the reputable brands? Is nvd good? When It says says 223 safe I assume suppressor is fine and doesn’t change that? Are the unity mounts the way to go (lot of people seem to like them)? Are there any places that train on shooting with nvd? Figured I would need a helmet/bump cap, ir light and/or laser. Anything else?

The general answer on tubes is 5.56 but most people run the 14 head or helmet mounted and use an IR laser on the rifle and/or use passive aiming.
Once the 14 is "married" to the rifle it becomes a bit of a PITA to always bring the rifle to the shoulder to get a "look" around. When it's head or helmet mounted your turning your head to look, the way God designed your body to work, versus turning your whole entire body- essentially doing a "facing" movement with the rifle in hand to get a "look" when the 14 is married to a rifle.

Hopefully that makes sense how I explained it :)

NVD is good to go, we have been working with them for about 15 years. They were the first to offer a 10 year warranty on NV. We have never had an issue they didn't resolve.

My buddy bought a thin filmed wp from nvd (via another company) and I think I would rather have this than a thermal . As I understand I could go filmless for more performance but the thin filmed seem to do more then enough. i Will primarily use this for hunting within 100-150 yards On my lease.

couple of questions, who are the reputable brands? Is nvd good? When It says says 223 safe I assume suppressor is fine and doesn’t change that? Are the unity mounts the way to go (lot of people seem to like them)? Are there any places that train on shooting with nvd? Figured I would need a helmet/bump cap, ir light and/or laser. Anything else?
NVD makes some very good units.

I would not recommend mounting a PVS 14 on a rifle, even 223/556. It can be done in an emergency (that is what Uncle Sugar intended when private Snuffy got in a bind) but you risk recoil damage and burning a permanent image in your PVS 14 if using a Red Dot or illuminated reticle in front of a PVS 14. It will sit there and burn a permanent dot in your PVS 14 even on Night Vision Settings.

In the past it was done out of "desperation" because Civilians could not get there hands on Laser Pointers/LAM/MFAL.

You asked some great questions--and thinking about training puts you ahead of your fellow users. We offer both beginner and advanced classes for low light and no light training. You can see our schedule and course descriptions here:

Additionally, we do offer rental gear so you can try some things out before you decide on what you want to purchase.

Unity makes arguably the best high mounts for optics right now. With NVG shooting and optics, the higher your mount, the easier it will be to shoot passively and acquire the dot through your goggle. An additional bonus of the high mount is that it does help keep your ear pro from getting bumped off your ear by the stock.

You are right about the setup--you will need a goggle, the mount, a head mounted solution (helmet, night cap, etc) and an IR laser. That should get you rolling.

We do offer goggles as well, and with that purchase come the 10 year tube warranty and lifetime warranty on the unit. They are built in our facility to get the best QC and are built to order.

Holler if you have any more questions.

I was not going to use it attached to a weapon but wanted to know if I ever wanted to, I could.

i have a 10.5 in 223. Debating getting a 7in 300bo. I have most of the parts I would need to build the upper. If I do I would Get a unity Red dot.

I will look at the training tnvc, although its not really close to me :(

I was not going to use it attached to a weapon but wanted to know if I ever wanted to, I could.

Yes you can. But I would use that for emergency use only in a pinch.

One of my most favorite phrases.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."