• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st Piece of the Puzzle

HogsLife

War Machine Leather Works
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2018
    N. Idaho
    Mail call. This showed up from Altus today. I’m digging this stock ALOT. Beautiful. Manners Elite Hunter TA w mini Chasis inletted for Rem 700 LA and Proof Sendero.

E4DE29A5-133B-47F6-ACCF-DBDE5D7A5CE6.jpeg

44D340B7-EC35-4175-85F3-56A77EE7A3E5.jpeg

Plan is to build my Idaho Elk rifle on it. Have a 26” 7mm Proof CF blank coming for it and have a donor action already. Still kicking around whether I’m gonna run a standard 7 rem mag or a 7 Sherman Max though.

7 mag in my opinion. 7 max is awesome but they seem to be hit or miss on there speed/pressure plus everything for them costs more. But only hunting rifle maybe look at 28 nosler

7 mag in my opinion. 7 max is awesome but they seem to be hit or miss on there speed/pressure plus everything for them costs more. But only hunting rifle maybe look at 28 nosler

True. But i I gotta completly set up to reload for 7mag too. Dies, brass, billets, powder everything. Seems at this point the 7mmax isn’t even much of a wild cat with fully prepped brass available, dies reamers etc.

28N was in the mix too but that barrel
    Life… not a huge deal on a hunting rifle I know, but I like to shoot. Lol

True. But i I gotta completly set up to reload for 7mag too. Dies, brass, billets, powder everything. Seems at this point the 7mmax isn’t even much of a wild cat with fully prepped brass available, dies reamers etc.

28N was in the mix too but that barrel
    Life… not a huge deal on a hunting rifle I know, but I like to shoot. Lol
    Yes the barrel life is horrible. I had all 3 and my favorite for just hunting 28 nosler. The 7 mag was great for shooting long range and way easy. I really liked the 7 max to me it was the perfect case but i seem to had issues for speed which a few people also did. Not sure if it was fluke but it did hammer

Reactions: HogsLife
    Yes the barrel life is horrible. I had all 3 and my favorite for just hunting 28 nosler. The 7 mag was great for shooting long range and way easy. I really liked the 7 max to me it was the perfect case but i seem to had issues for speed which a few people also did. Not sure if it was fluke but it did hammer
    no you’re right .I have seen guys not get that 3k velocity with 195’s they were shooting for. Close. Still not “slow”. Some got it and some didn’t. Seems like it’s possibly a barrel thing. Some barrels are faster than others. could be wrong but it looked like Proofs may have been on the slower side? but I don’t know. That’s just piecing together posts on forums.

no you’re right .I have seen guys not get that 3k velocity with 195’s they were shooting for. Close. Still not “slow”. Some got it and some didn’t. Seems like it’s possibly a barrel thing. Some barrels are faster than others. could be wrong but it looked like Proofs may have been on the slower side? but I don’t know. That’s just piecing together posts on forums.
    A combo of a faster barrel and n570 powder i think is the key.

A combo of a faster barrel and n570 powder i think is the key.

well I have like 24 lbs of 7828ssc. Heard it gets good velocities, but have no personal experience with it. This will be the first magnum I’ve loaded for.

I have used very little of it. Very similar to reloader 22. Its between 22 and h1000 burn rate chart. When i used it i was trying to replace re22 and in most rifles had better speed some slower. But i think it will work great since you have it specially in these times. What bullet you going to shoot?

I have used very little of it. Very similar to reloader 22. Its between 22 and h1000 burn rate chart. When i used it i was trying to replace re22 and in most rifles had better speed some slower. But i think it will work great since you have it specially in these times. What bullet you going to shoot?

195’s are all well and good but I’ll probably run the Berger 180 VLD’s or 180
    ELDM’s. Seems like I heard guys maybe getting slower speeds with eldms due to the longer bearing surface on the ELDM’s ?

Stay away from the 180 eldm they blow up alot and im not talking about on game never tried them because they never reached the target. Its all over here that the eldm and a-tips blow up pretty bad. What twist rate? Id say 180 but i use to shoot softer bullets i have now moved to the solid copper hunting bullets pva bullets and when i get a tag in a few years i will try the badlands i was going to test the 180 berger but backed out lol

I would stick with the 7mag.

If for some stupid reason something happens to your ammunition you can probably walk into any hunting store and purchase it.

I went 300 win mag for just that reason. It may not be the latest and greatest but I guarantee I can find ammunition anywhere I travel to. All I would have to do is rezero if I had an emergency and not loose out on my hunt.

Stay away from the 180 eldm they blow up alot and im not talking about on game never tried them because they never reached the target. Its all over here that the eldm and a-tips blow up pretty bad. What twist rate? Id say 180 but i use to shoot softer bullets i have now moved to the solid copper hunting bullets pva bullets and when i get a tag in a few years i will try the badlands i was going to test the 180 berger but backed out lol
    Yup, now that you mention it, I have heard that anout the ELDMS and A Tips. Berger VLDS it is.

Twist rate 1:8.4.

Yup, now that you mention it, I have heard that anout the ELDMS and A Tips. Berger VLDS it is.

Twist rate 1:8.4.
    People have great things to say about bergers i never shot anything with them but seen others and sometimes they scared me off haha

Ive never hunted with VLD’s so I have no idea. I’ve always hunted with 142gn SMK’s in my Lapua, 140gn ELDMs in my Creedmooe and barnes TSX’s in my 308. I will be running the VLD’s in this build

It seems like the opinion of VLD’s is split between guys that have had awesome luck with em. Shit, @Diver160651 dropped an elk at 917 yds with a 168 VLD in his 7 mag.

And then you got the group that says the thing jacketed “target” LR bullets (VLD) got no place in hunting. For all the Guys that love em theres just as many that don’t. Lol

Ive never hunted with VLD’s so I have no idea. I’ve always hunted with 142gn SMK’s in my Lapua, 140gn ELDMs in my Creedmooe and barnes TSX’s in my 308. I will be running the VLD’s in this build

It seems like the opinion of VLD’s is split between guys that have had awesome luck with em. Shit, @Diver160651 dropped an elk at 917 yds with a 168 VLD in his 7 mag.

And then you got the group that says the thing jacketed “target” LR bullets (VLD) got no place in hunting. For all the Guys that love em theres just as many that don’t. Lol
    I seen the 140 vld be terrible at camp from a 6.5-284 on coues deer had to shoot it 5 times. The 168 i think in 7 mag took 2. But seen others not very impressed. My dad uses a 6.5-300 weatherby and uses bullets that have the same jackets at berger they look the same just a small company and i hate those things his bull this year at 540 shot it like 5 or 6 times had blow ups pencil throws lucky the first shit hit the bone of should it blew up but dropped him where he couldnt get up but wasnt to impressed

• Wow
    I am in the camp of target Bullets work just fine.
    But on my Win Mag I went with 200 ELD-X. They have meet my expectation. The rifle shoots well below 1/2 moa at 100 yards.

I love my 7 Mag with 180 Hybrids. Zero problems, easy load workup, several powder options, and it has anchored everything that has been shot with it.

I’m sure the 28N and Max are great choices but the 7 Mag is a high-performance easy button.

I love my 7 Mag with 180 Hybrids. Zero problems, easy load workup, several powder options, and it has anchored everything that has been shot with it.

I’m sure the 28N and Max are great choices but the 7 Mag is a high-performance easy button.
    Did you have to throat yours for the 180’s ? Figured 7mag I was gonna end up running 168’s , and 7 max probably 180’s-195’s

I am in the camp of target Bullets work just fine.
    But on my Win Mag I went with 200 ELD-X. They have meet my expectation. The rifle shoots well below 1/2 moa at 100 yards.
    I agree man i shot a hog booking it quartering away at about 300+ With my 6.5x47 pushing 142gn SMK’s. Lead her a hair too much and put it right in front of her shoulders. Small entrance. Small exit she dropped like a pallet of bricks landed on her

22C523C5-B7D4-4FBF-AAC8-0CE91B905FA2.jpeg

Fuck small entrances and exits.

You’ll come to appreciate a good hunting bullet after you have to chase something for a few hundred yards through the brush.

You’ll be pleased with the eldx, it’s not as expansive but it does carry through while still leaving good damage on the larger species.
    8D8F9897-F118-4544-A78D-D12B69BB722B.jpeg

Fuck small entrances and exits.
    View attachment 7665183
    Oh I agree we want damage but that smk did work and with zero meat lost.

haha, bout 10 years ago I was deer hunting out in Ca. Black tails. Little fuckers. Anyways I was hunting with my 308 and Barnes 168gn Match TTSX hand loads.

I jumped this little 100lb forky and he bolted about about 259-300 yards or so running directly away. I Shot him through the back end with that solid Cooper. Fuck…. looked like a truck landed on him. That bullet destroyed half of that buck. Whole left side was gelatin.

Probably 30-40gns too heavy for Ca deer lol. In my experience, them coppers do a lot of damage . That 168 Match actuality shot pretty damn good at distance to, but rest are kinda meh accuracy’s wise at distance

For what it’s worth I use the Berger 168VLD but the thinner jackets “hunting” version.

I also shoot the mandated solids in California on pigs. Barnes -to hammers have poor BCs and honestly do not work as well for me and my friends as traditional jacket bullets, hunting or target.

For what it’s worth I use the Berger 168VLD but the thinner jackets “hunting” version.

I also shoot the mandated solids in California on pigs. Barnes -to hammers have poor BCs and honestly do not work as well for me and my friends as traditional jacket bullets, hunting or target.
    Can you tell more on hammers? You are the first person ive seen say didnt work very well on game

I
    Can you tell more on hammers? You are the first person ive seen say didnt work very well on game
    can’t speak to the hammers as I’ve never used them. But living and hunting in California I did use the Barnes coppers a lot. The Barnes TSX .30cal 168gn Match absolutely hammered and did a lot of damage terminally.

Thanks Jim. Yeah I think I’m gonna go the same route with the Berger Hunting VLD’s but the 180’s. I don’t foresee myself messin with the 195’s yet

I think he was referring to their accuracy.. if the accuracy isn’t there last a then the rest doesn’t really matter. . Not when you have those Barnes TTSX, TSX, LRX. They perform terminally and maintain a level of acceptable accuracy.

I shot a few hammers didnt work for me switched to pva copper and worked great. I want to try badlands next. But everyone loves hammers it seems like

Good lookin stock!!
    Sounds like a solid build.

one comment though.

Rings are no good for that scope……

You need a SPUHR. 😉
    36mm QD for a great bargain and a great cause!!
    Post #9