• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 1st PRS Match

trident512789

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2021
here
We have a couple PRS matches coming up and I'm thinking of attending.
Problem: Never shot beyond 100. Ranges are limited locally. I have a Kestrel, handloads, everything setup (gun/bipod/bags), but my shooting had been done at 100 yards only.

Do you just go for it? There is a range where you can qualify to go to 200,400 for steel but those targets are fairly large and woudln't give me much feedback ond dope.

Just sign up and go for it, the best way to learn is to jump right in. If you can get out to confirm dope out to 400, that would be good to do before hand, even if it's not exact. Other shooters will be more than happy to help you throughout the competition.

If you can get fresh paint on the 400 yard targets, it will help big time. Or shoot some tiny objects on the 400 yard berm.

Reactions: lash
Problem: Never shot beyond 100. Ranges are limited locally. I have a Kestrel, handloads, everything setup (gun/bipod/bags), but my shooting had been done at 100 yards only.

Do you just go for it? There is a range where you can qualify to go to 200,400 for steel but those targets are fairly large and woudln't give me much feedback ond dope.
What Raptor said. You can prep the best by dry firing at home and practicing off of the back of a chair, different rungs on a ladder, laying a 2x4 across two cinder blocks and practicing off that...Anything to help you build a position and you'll be at least prepared for the various props. You have a kestrel right? Go to that 400 yd range and run dope using the kestrel so you're prepared for that as well. Run scenarios on the 200 and 400 yard targets...2 shots each going back and forth and practice dialing your scope, believe me you'll be doing that in a match. Make sure you're at least on the centerline vertically speaking on the 400 yd target and true your dope. It will at least give you a starting point.

Now, at the match, DON'T WORRY ABOUT SPEED! And don't worry about hitting anything beyond 600 yards (I assume you're talking PRS Centerfire here), with the practice you've put in, focus on the 600yd and in targets. LEARN from your misses and adjust. Even if you adjust wrong in the beginning, adjust. Get a coaches wrist band and some cards and a wax pencil so you can write down the dope for the various stages and use it during your stage.

Finally, just have fun at the match. Meet people, don't just be a loner. People will lend you equipment, help you with wind calls and anything else, so let them help you. TAKE IN ALL THE ADVICE AND LEARNING YOU CAN at the match. Ask if you can video shooters and learn how they set up on the props, use bags, etc... Most won't mind. Anyway, welcome to the sport and just enjoy it.

Is it possible to get that range to let you paint a water line on the large steel targets? Or even just paint them white so that you can see your impacts? Either will work but a water line will provide the best feedback imo.

Reactions: DGD6MM
Sadly no one is allowed out to them to paint/mark/etc.
Just curious to know what state your in? I’m in the same boat. East coast, range won’t allow you to paint the targets. I have shot beyond 100, and practice dry firing on makeshift barricades. At least I know you can just jump in and do a match. I’ll have to travel to a different state but when I’m ready I will

Do you know your velocity?? You will probably be close with velocity and ballistic calculator. Learn how to true your B.C.. Then the first stage take your time on the shots 600 plus use that info to true your B.C.

yep, jfdi. let everyone on your squad know it's your first match and surely all will give you lotsa help, spotting & adjustments, loan out their bags & gear, etc.

this first match will really be dope-gathering for you, so do what you can to spot hits and misses and adjust accordingly on the next stages.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
Some ranges offer a tune up day the day prior to the match. This is a great time to true up your ballistics. See if that is an option where u plan to shoot.

Ask questions...
Let your squad mates/ RO know that this is your first shoot

If you don't have a ballistic program input your data into jbm ballistics and print out a dope (trajectory card) May want to laminate it or make extra copies

Try others bags/tripods/packs etc BEFORE you buy a bunch of stuff you might not like after you get more familiar.

Watch how other shooters approach/shoot a stage

Most of alll...

HAVE FUN

I'm going to give a different perspective.

Everyone is always like... no pressure, we love the newbs, just be there to learn, have fun, talk to anyone you want, yada yada yada. And that's all true (to an extent). But it's not like all the seasoned people are there to serve you. They aren't there FOR you; they're there to compete and be focused on competition. It's not a Pro-Am event (unless its GAP Grind at K&M which is the greatest PRS match on earth IMHO).

Fact is, all but one PRS match I've been to has been extremely fast-paced and overtly overwhelming for a newb. You have usually 90 seconds to shoot 10 rounds at sometimes 6 different targets at ranges you've never shot even sitting comfortably at a bench. Even if you have or borrow some glass, find the targets on the glass, get your bearings... you still won't find them well through the scope especially after the shot before you transition to the next target (unless they're close together, and they often aren't). You have to learn the landmarks and reference points and learn how to find them through a scope while teetering a rifle on a cattle gate which you've never done before. That's the challenge, but it's... a lot for your first, second, and third PRS match. It just is. Some guys - especially ex-military - get it fast. Maybe you will... that's great! But it's a lot.

Anyway, I have gotten used to the pace mostly, and so will you, but it can and likely will be overwhelming your first time. Don't let it shake you. I make it a point now to find first timers at any PRS match I go to (knowing full well I'm still a newb and struggling myself to be accurate) and make sure they know where to go, what to do, how to squad, etc. Matches I go to at one particular location are run kind of... sink or swim... and I don't think that results in repeat PRS-ers. In fact I knew three guys who I was talking to at one match who vowed never to come back after going to a PRS match at that location because they felt being they were ignored and lost. At other locations, it's a much better-run event where newbs are acknowledged beyond some obligitory mention during the safety briefing as if it's a surprise they're there in the first place (god that pisses me off when that happens). They are welcomed. They are called out and intentionally paired with someone who can show them the ropes and/or spread out into groups so they don't all end up in the "left overs squad" full of newbs that can't help each other get better and feel comfortable. I would see to it that happens for you at your first match. It'll make you love the game that much more. Find someone who knows what they're doing... be humble, and ask for their help learning the ropes. You'll find you'll get that help. But if you don't ask... it's most often the case you don't get it.

Just know, as a newb, you'll be busy. You'll be busy watching others, trying to remember and relate to the stage descriptions which are often written by someone who didn't quite excel at descriptive writing in school (been many times even the RO was like... "um, forget that just shoot left to right because that makes no sense" or something). You'll be digging into your chosen ballistic tool (app, Kestrel, etc.) to get your dopes for the next stage while trying to integrate what you learned about the wind and actual POI in prior stages. You'll feel obligated to make yourself useful by being a backup glass guy or running the click counter or whatever (and you'll learn a lot from that so do it... sparingly and after you're fully ready for your next stage). You'll forget to go to the bathroom and eat. You'll forget to drink water (don't). You're head might be throbbing because you've been surrounded by rifles with muzzle breaks blowing concussive charges at you all day. It's fun as hell, PRS, but it's not a book club.

But you're going to get your first hit at 600. And at 800. And maybe at 1,000 if the wind doesn't bite you. And you'll feel the bite of the long range shooting bug. And so long as you've met some guys and gals and remembered their names enough to be able to in the parking lot after the rankings are announced something like "see you next time John, nice shooting today, appreciate your help... oh and way to recover on Stage 4"... you did it right. You really got to know someone. That'll make the next PRS match where John or whoever likely will be at a ton better.

I learned all this late. It clicked for me at my most recent match which was what I needed - slower paced, longer shoot times, slightly closer targets. I got to allow my introvert brain a minute to relax and talk to people about more than just... their rifle. Also, what I learned is to be comfortable being terrible. To ask - not expect someone to tell me - how I should approach XYZ stage. I've learned to ask the glass guy - if we are doing calls - to do calls in a certain way so I can understand them better. I've learned to introduce myself to three people in the parking lot and ask about their gun so I can get to know someone and maybe end up squading with someone interesting or using the same cartridge, etc.

Hopefully the above helps. IF someone told me the above before my first PRS match, I would have had a better time I think.

Just go and have fun. Run your data ahead or time and print it out in case your electronics go down. Always have a back up paper copy in the pack. Watch how people run the stages and that will help you learn. Shooting a one day match first would be a good idea before getting into a two day. You will probably suck your first match but it doesn't matter as there is no pressure to win. Shoot and learn and have fun.

Biggest thing over fun is being safe. Jacob at Rifles Only always used to say this before a match, paraphrased "It's just a rifle match. No one will remember who won in two weeks but they will remember the guy who ND'd and hurt someone."

Sign up for a match and email the match director and tell him your new, this is your first match and if possible can he pair you up with some one to show you the ropes. I bet you he can and will do that. Once you go, listen and do whatever that guy tells you. Don't snub his advice even if you think it's wrong, aside of saftey shit. Watch and listen, just see how everybody else is doing it and do your best. Be friendly, ask questions but don't bother people who are next up to shoot. Ask the guy that just got off the line your questions not the guy who's heading up to shoot because he's thinking of what he's gotta do. Once you shoot out farther have some body tell you where your shots landed if you can't tell and true your dope on the fly. Lastly enjoy your self

Reactions: iceng

Just go for it. Let the MD and your squad members know its your first match. There will be no shortage of help, equipment to try, or suggestions. Just make sure your rifle is zeroed, and know your bullet velocity if possible. And remember to have fun and dont take it too seriously.

Everyone is always like... no pressure, we love the newbs, just be there to learn, have fun, talk to anyone you want, yada yada yada. And that's all true (to an extent). But it's not like all the seasoned people are there to serve you. They aren't there FOR you; they're there to compete and be focused on competition. It's not a Pro-Am event (unless its GAP Grind at K&M which is the greatest PRS match on earth IMHO).

Fact is, all but one PRS match I've been to has been extremely fast-paced and overtly overwhelming for a newb. You have usually 90 seconds to shoot 10 rounds at sometimes 6 different targets at ranges you've never shot even sitting comfortably at a bench. Even if you have or borrow some glass, find the targets on the glass, get your bearings... you still won't find them well through the scope especially after the shot before you transition to the next target (unless they're close together, and they often aren't). You have to learn the landmarks and reference points and learn how to find them through a scope while teetering a rifle on a cattle gate which you've never done before. That's the challenge, but it's... a lot for your first, second, and third PRS match. It just is. Some guys - especially ex-military - get it fast. Maybe you will... that's great! But it's a lot.

Anyway, I have gotten used to the pace mostly, and so will you, but it can and likely will be overwhelming your first time. Don't let it shake you. I make it a point now to find first timers at any PRS match I go to (knowing full well I'm still a newb and struggling myself to be accurate) and make sure they know where to go, what to do, how to squad, etc. Matches I go to at one particular location are run kind of... sink or swim... and I don't think that results in repeat PRS-ers. In fact I knew three guys who I was talking to at one match who vowed never to come back after going to a PRS match at that location because they felt being they were ignored and lost. At other locations, it's a much better-run event where newbs are acknowledged beyond some obligitory mention during the safety briefing as if it's a surprise they're there in the first place (god that pisses me off when that happens). They are welcomed. They are called out and intentionally paired with someone who can show them the ropes and/or spread out into groups so they don't all end up in the "left overs squad" full of newbs that can't help each other get better and feel comfortable. I would see to it that happens for you at your first match. It'll make you love the game that much more. Find someone who knows what they're doing... be humble, and ask for their help learning the ropes. You'll find you'll get that help. But if you don't ask... it's most often the case you don't get it.

Just know, as a newb, you'll be busy. You'll be busy watching others, trying to remember and relate to the stage descriptions which are often written by someone who didn't quite excel at descriptive writing in school (been many times even the RO was like... "um, forget that just shoot left to right because that makes no sense" or something). You'll be digging into your chosen ballistic tool (app, Kestrel, etc.) to get your dopes for the next stage while trying to integrate what you learned about the wind and actual POI in prior stages. You'll feel obligated to make yourself useful by being a backup glass guy or running the click counter or whatever (and you'll learn a lot from that so do it... sparingly and after you're fully ready for your next stage). You'll forget to go to the bathroom and eat. You'll forget to drink water (don't). You're head might be throbbing because you've been surrounded by rifles with muzzle breaks blowing concussive charges at you all day. It's fun as hell, PRS, but it's not a book club.

But you're going to get your first hit at 600. And at 800. And maybe at 1,000 if the wind doesn't bite you. And you'll feel the bite of the long range shooting bug. And so long as you've met some guys and gals and remembered their names enough to be able to in the parking lot after the rankings are announced something like "see you next time John, nice shooting today, appreciate your help... oh and way to recover on Stage 4"... you did it right. You really got to know someone. That'll make the next PRS match where John or whoever likely will be at a ton better.

I learned all this late. It clicked for me at my most recent match which was what I needed - slower paced, longer shoot times, slightly closer targets. I got to allow my introvert brain a minute to relax and talk to people about more than just... their rifle. Also, what I learned is to be comfortable being terrible. To ask - not expect someone to tell me - how I should approach XYZ stage. I've learned to ask the glass guy - if we are doing calls - to do calls in a certain way so I can understand them better. I've learned to introduce myself to three people in the parking lot and ask about their gun so I can get to know someone and maybe end up squading with someone interesting or using the same cartridge, etc.

Hopefully the above helps. IF someone told me the above before my first PRS match, I would have had a better time I think.
You think too much…

Shooting at 1000y is just like shooting at 100y, but with wind. Dont get wrapped up in distance.
If you are a solid shooter at 100, I can put you behind my rifle at 1000, figure the wind for you, and you can hit.

For your first match. FIRST AND FOREMOST....
you are NOT going to win. you are NOT going to excel (its a game that you have to learn). You will NOT hit everything or mostly everything like the guys that do it all the time. Drop your ego and high expectations at home before you leave and you WILL learn a massive amount and you will have a blast.

Take your time. You have 90 or 120 seconds to find and hit all the targets, plus move, plus change your dope, plus build a position, plus a million other things. Take your time with it, watch the experienced guys, get your hits.

I suggest immediately taking whatever shots possible and cutting that number in half and set that as your expactation to make your impacts. Instead of rushing through 10 shots, you can take those 5 shots, get your dope right, effectively double the time that you have to shoot the stage, take the time to build your positions correctly/solidly, take your time pulling the trigger, etc. You can speed up as you get the hang of it.
What you always see is new people RUSHING the entire day and they never even get a chance to think. Its over before they know it and they dont know what happened.

DEFINITELY tell your squad that you are new. You would like some pointers, you would like some help. I guarantee people will help you, people will let you borrow their bags/gear, etc. Unless its a huge 2 day national match, everyone isnt "they're there to compete and be focused on competition." They will gladly help you and hold your hand.

Its going to be a FIREHOSE of information. Bring a notebook and jot some notes down. Stuff about your issues on a stage, stuff about what people tell you, etc.
Ask someone to video your run/s and video some of the better guys to compare. It will be very visible in the difference of how you move and run the stage.

Go slow. Dont get overwhelmed. Break down what you're doing.
-Movement to the position.
-Build your position. Take a few extra seconds to position your bag, take a few seconds to position your body. Take a few to position your rifle.
-Find your target. Dont get flustered and overwhelmed trying to find your target through your scope zoomed in on 25x. Look at the target, look over your rifle, point your rifle at the target, look through scope at 12-15x.
-Take your time making a trigger press. You will be wobbly. Take your time.
-Repeat as many times as the clock allows.
If you RUSH through 10 shots and dont do any of that, you'll get one hit. If you just take your time and go slow and tell yourself you're going to only worry about 5 shots, you'll hit 3 or 5 and be so much happier with the day and be able to process what the fuck just happened that stage.

Again, ask the guys for help, let them know that you are new or that its your first match. Ask for tips.
Dont worry about looking stupid or feeling stupid.
You will absolutely look new, everyone was at some point. Theres not reason to feel stupid.

GO FOR IT!
You can usually go early to zero and get dope at distance.
-Pick 1 bag and a bipod.
-Slow and steady. Only plan on shooting half any given stage in the limited time.
-As tempting as it may be to go full power in your scope stay under 20. Mid power will help locate targets and spot misses.
-Be safe
-shoot shit
-Have fun

Fyi, any target at distance will tell you if your calculated dope lines up with actual.

Practice the Rifle Kraft targets at 100yds. Watch his videos and keep shooting those 12 shot drills at 100yds.

I am just a part time 1 day shooter myself but this is what I have learned while helping people out the past couple years.

My tips for a new shooter.

1. Keep it simple, 1 bag a bipod and a gun.
2. Dial all your elevation. You will time out on some stages, you will time out new even if you are holding elevation so dial.
3. Make the shots you take count. Try to build solid positions and make good trigger presses. If your reticle is bouncing on a 2 mil wobble zone from a solid prop you need to adjust your body position. If you get 6 shots off and hit 4 of them, well good. That's better than rushing through 9 or 10 to get 3 or 4 hits. The first word in PRS is Precision so spray and pray will not improve you in the long run.
4. A lot of new shooters have trouble with finding targets on the clock. Get your body square to the target! I just watched some new guys at Pigg a couple days ago struggle with this. Run your scope around 15x for everything the first few matches.
5. Watch a couple of the better shooters run the stages. See if they run bipod or bag on a certain prop. I would suggest bipod anytime you can in the beginning. Don't mess with stuff you have never seen on the clock. If some guy cleans with tripod rear or a a tac table just remember how he used it and practice it the next time you head to the range. If you start feeling like you should try to handle a tripod and a gun and a bag on a 5 position 90 second stage remember Tip #1.
6. This is a game, that's it. This is mix of ex military guys along with a teacher, a plumber, a lawn man etc. Some of the guys are cross fit kings and some are overweight middle aged men(like me). Its a game so don't be intimidated to play a game.
7. Ask questions and remember names of the guys in your squad. Some of these guys you just shot with in your first match will be a shooting buddy for years to come. There are a ton of great people at these matches.
8. Everything above is meaningless if you flag someone with your muzzle or send off a stray round down range. Chamber flag in the gun unless you are instructed to remove it by the RO when its your time to shoot. Close the bolt once you are on target. Bolt always open and back when you are moving. At the end of each stage, drop your mag, insert the chamber flag then dial back to zero and move off the stage. When moving from side to side remember to keep the gun pointed down range.
Go to the match and shoot!

Last edited:
Just go to a match but I'd look for a club match rather than an official PRS points match. Match directors are usually pretty helpful and can set you up with a willing mentor. I frequently play the mentor role for new shooters at my regular monthly club match. Expect to do badly your first time out, take it slow & watch your gun safety above everything else, try to focus on one target at a time and don't get frustrated. Once you have a few matches under your belt you'll see where your gear works and where it doesn't and what skills you need to work on. Bolt ALWAYS open and back until you're pointed at a target you're going to engage. If you spill the beans on where you're located, some generous soul here might just be willing to give you a quick intro to the common gear, how it's used and how to set up a position to take a shot. You might consider some formal training as well. That'll give you experience shooting long range while using your gear. Should provide a useful leg up.

In fact I knew three guys who I was talking to at one match who vowed never to come back after going to a PRS match at that location because they felt being they were ignored and lost.
Those are the guys who put absolutely zero effort in learning anything at all about the sport ahead of time and who expect to be led by the hand instead of putting forth some initiative and understanding that shooting sports are sports first and not casual plinking sessions.

Those are the guys who put absolutely zero effort in learning anything at all about the sport ahead of time and who expect to be led by the hand instead of putting forth some initiative and understanding that shooting sports are sports first and not casual plinking sessions.
Sadly, probably exactly the case. Even when the MD hands me a newb, there's some effort that new guys have to put in. About as many new guys don't come back after their first or second time as do even with the added hand holding. The game is easy but it's not simple and I think a lot of guys try to get into the sport thinking that it's both or not recognizing that there is a difference.

Reactions: On_target68

That's my plan this Saturday 3.26.22....my first match

In case I didn’t say this yet, you think too much. Pretty much yes to all you said, but you are way overthinking it. If you’re that worried about things going in, you’ll do worse than ever. Or, you’ll wait another two years and 4000 rounds practicing before you even know what exactly to practice.

Some people are wound up so tight that you couldn’t fit a pin up their ass. (Not an attack on you)

That's my plan this Saturday 3.26.22....my first match

I’ve seen many first timers do better than they thought they would by just showing up with minimal expectations and (mental baggage) not overthinking their introduction.

That's a great first match. I was originally signed up for it but diverted to WAR.

The QSC matches are very well run, you will have a good time.

That's a great first match. I was originally signed up for it but diverted to WAR.

The QSC matches are very well run, you will have a good time.
It was a great first match. Great people. I actually scored some points. Have so much to work on, but can't wait for next one .

As someone looking to do my first, long overdue, match in a few months… this was by far the best advice I’ve ever read.

Alabama Precision in July. There’s one in June but I have something going on that weekend. I’m also still trying to fine tune my rifle. It’s a shooters challenge that from what I’ve heard is mostly geared to newer shooters.

Reactions: Jmkjr87
Many covered it, and a few covered it well.
Get in contact with match director "im a rookie, can i pair with someone friendly to make sure i dont do anything stupid, and help me hit steel ?" ... Good to go.

The WORST rookies ive met are fclass fudds. "Ill show you how it done. Your sport is kinda stupid. Ill do a match or 2, prove that ill be top 5, and go back to real mans sport". Aaaand promptly get match DQ, or struggle to get 10% of the points on offer. Or argue over something completely stupid like "i should get extra time because i had a knee operation a few years back, so just let me get prone, ill shoot the entire stage from there, and the time starts from my first impact. Ill need a few sighters, coz thats how we do it in fclass". Yes im serious.

Go, hqve fun, be a sponge. Learn. Enjoy. Expect to do super shit on the first stage or 2, but compare your first stage with your last, bet you do 50% better. Best training in a compressed format..

Good luck !! Take photos and videos. Get someone to film you with your phone. Compare first vs last stage.

The WORST rookies ive met are fclass fudds. "Ill show you how it done. Your sport is kinda stupid. Ill do a match or 2, prove that ill be top 5, and go back to real mans sport". Aaaand promptly get match DQ, or struggle to get 10% of the points on offer. Or argue over something completely stupid like "i should get extra time because i had a knee operation a few years back, so just let me get prone, ill shoot the entire stage from there, and the time starts from my first impact. Ill need a few sighters, coz thats how we do it in fclass". Yes im serious.

That is great, more fudd stories please

Reactions: deersniper
I'll need a few sighters, I don't know why I find that so funny