• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st round of large frame questions

Ohioan

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
Franklin County, Ohio
1. What barrel length is common for 308? I have seen a few 18", a 16" here and there, mostly 20", and a random 22". Just curious because for some reason I have it in my head 22" is optimal.

2. Is there a forend that has a similar mounting as the Geissele stuff? I have them on my small frames and love them.

Folks smarter than me about the S/A .308 (Jack Leuba Knight’s Armament) have stayed that by 16” you have full burn on a .308. KAC does a 16” Carbine and a 20” Rifle. By default, I have several 16” guns.
I have gone to 1000yds with a 16” gun several times, but it’s VERY ammo sensitive. For 800 and in, 16” all day.

As far as the “Geiselle Forend”, I can only think you’re speaking of M-Lok ? That’s pretty common on several guns now.

18” or 16”. I’ve fooled around with both and stuck with 16”. How compact are you wanting the package to be? A 16” can be loaded with lighter bullets to negate speed losses going with that short of a barrel compared to a 22”. Pair a 16” barrel with a folding stock and you have something pretty special.

Totally use driven. I like 16in for most of what I do. If you are doing stuff at longer ranges you'd want 6.5CM anyways.

No. I was referring to the barrel nut they use that has a larger bearing surface and that doesn't need to be timed with the gas tube.
Most aftermarkets won’t have a barrel nut that needs to be timed with the gas tube.

1. What barrel length is common for 308? I have seen a few 18", a 16" here and there, mostly 20", and a random 22". Just curious because for some reason I have it in my head 22" is optimal.

same question, however I notice that with the bolt-action 308, it seems that there's more 20" - 24" barrel popularity, not so much the 16" barrel, as compared to a semi-auto 308, where the reasoning outlined above seems to prefer the 16" to 20" barrel length range. and the explanation above makes sound sense to me.

so is there something else that applies to bolt-actions, that doesn't apply in the context of semi-auto 308's?

2. Is there a forend that has a similar mounting as the Geissele stuff? I have them on my small frames and love them.

if you're referring to the barrel nut, cross-bolt arrangement, the SLR rails are sorta similar, and I think the newer Aero Atlas also uses a cross-bolt wedge arrangement, but just 1 cross-bolt. I have a few SLR Solo rails on Aero M5 uppers, I like their barrel nut system, doesn't require timing.

ETA: seems like the Aero Atlas does require timing, according to the install video.

Last edited:
same question, however I notice that with the bolt-action 308, it seems that there's more 20" - 24" barrel popularity, not so much the 16" barrel, as compared to a semi-auto 308, where the reasoning outlined above seems to prefer the 16" to 20" barrel length range. and the explanation above makes sound sense to me.

so is there something else that applies to bolt-actions, that doesn't apply in the context of semi-auto 308's?

Most guys using a precision bolt action rifle are doing so likely to make hits at the further edge of the .308 envelope and want the added velocity to make it there.

If you're using a semi auto 308, typically, you're trying to make very rapid hits at shorter distances and weight saving and maneuverability are a big plus.

If you're goal for your rifle is to make 1k+ yard shots, then by all means step up to a 22-24in barrel. I think the majority of us will switch rifles and or calibers for those applications.

Depending on your ammo, there is a ROUGHLY 230-300 fps difference from a 16" barrel to a 28" barrel. ROUGHLY 20-25 fps per inch for everything in between ;)

If you are shooting 1000 yards most often you probably want the longer barrel

That said I have a .308 AR10 with a 16" barrel and can shoot out to 600 yards consistently with reasonable groups without any issues. I do not plan to shoot this gun any further (I might try 1000 yards once, but not regularly), so leaving it as it is.

If you want a longer barrel than 16” you might as well make it a 6.5.
I have AR-308 uppers, 308, with 14.5", 16", 20", and 24" barrels. That's what I like about AR's, is you swap out the upper and it changes the character/purpose. I do shoot, just for fun, at a 1000yd range.