• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st time at the range / Savage 110 BA / 338 Lapua

lds4mysanity

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Corpus Christi, TEXAS
Well...was all pumped up to run my first rounds through my new 338 LM. Finally got my scope mounted by a gunsmith, the rain stopped and the range dried out. Drove 40 miles this morning, did not take any other weapons (wanted to just focus on the 338LM) got all set up ....

Catastrophic Failure!

The gun would not fire. Some weird stuff going on with the safety and the trigger. Messed with it for 2 hours and could not get it to go.

I will be calling Savage Arms tomorrow morning.

I would like to hear from you if you have one of these rifles.

Re: 1st time at the range / Savage 110 BA / 338 Lapua

Headed back to the range this afternoon. I think the problem is not with the gun, but with the shooter. Will report back with what I think I was doing wrong after I return this evening.

lds4mysanity,

I don't know if you adjusted it, but Savage triggers can be a little tricky when you get them down to minimum pull weights. You have to keep the safety adjusted back as you reduce weight or all you will get is like the safety is on. Too far back/too low of weight and it won't engage.

Then again, I don't know if that particular rifle even runs the same standard triggers as their standard rifles.

No. I did not make any adjustment on it. I dry fired it out of the box and it is extremely light. After talking with a friend and reading the manual apparently if you close the bolt too hard when the trigger is set so light, there is a safety mechanism that prevents it from firing. I am going back out to the range today to try it again. Will report back this evening.

There were no problems with the gun. Apparently I was closing the bolt too hard and was triggering a safety mechanism that prevented the gun from firing. It performed flawlessly when the bolt was closed slowly. Ran a few rounds through it and discovered the scope was walking in the rings. I am going to have to make a change on the rings.

It has the "Target Precision Trigger" . It can be set to approximately 6 ounces says the owners manual. If I had to guess, it can't be set at more than a pund. Maybe less.

I've heard that was a pretty good trigger. But, I haven't worked with it personally.

FWIW though, your description sounds an awful lot like when I've tried to adjust the standard pre-accutrigger too light.

Although, a 6 oz. trigger could be pretty easy to trip if you do push the bolt forward too hard. I mean trip by technically not getting trigger sear to bolt catch contact while cycling the bolt, thus not arming it.

I had the same problems with my first Accutrigger. I'm not a fan of super light triggers so I just turned it up a little and I've had no problems since.