• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st time out with new rifle.

fordsoldier

Just a dude, doing dude stuff.
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2005
Illinois
This one is for the pro's. Went to the range today with my new remmy 700 in 308. Made some handloads up. using 43.0g, 43.5, 44.0, 44.5 of varget. 175SMK laupa brass and Fed 210m Primers. My 43g were reading on my chronograph 2900FPS. Something is not right.

Any help would be great. I am thinking something might be wrong with the chronograph. Its always been right on before, but today has me wondering.

Re: 1st time out with new rifle.

Any sign of pressure? Flattened primers? Craters? I shoot 43.8gr Varget with Lapua brass and am only getting 2700fps. Does it feel like a hot load? Hard to eject? If I was getting that kinda speed it would really be noticeable. I would suspect the chrono.

well here are the pics of the primers. I didnt anything of it till I started to shoot across the chronograph.

43.0g varget
Picture021-1.jpg

44.5g varget
Picture022-1.jpg

target from 43.g varget @ 100yds.
Picture023-1.jpg

Target from 44.5 varget @ 100yds
Picture024-1.jpg

Perfect day to shoot temp 80 degrees winds 3-5mph.

Do you have any factory ammo on hand? Some good ammo such as FGMM that you can check your chrono?

I wish I could get my hands on some Fed Match, stuff is extremly hard to find still in my area.

Hmm...same here on the availability of factory match ammo.

Do you have anything you could check that chrono with?

I'm no pro but I'd be willing to bet it's not reading correctly.

The rifle may have a really tight chamber. Try some different brass before you junk your chrono. My GAP .308 shoots in the 2690's with 44g. varget,fed match primers,175g. SMK's and black hills brass.

Well, that sounds about close to what I am getting. I am at 43.4 at 2800 fps with 175 smk , lapua brass, and CCI BR2 primers

You clean your rifle lately ? Or his the temperature higher ?

Different batch of Varget ?

COAL the same ?

Out of a GAP 308 Crusader

Its a brand new rifle I have been putting together. yes the rifle is clean. the bore looks good. My varget is out of a brand new 8Ilb jug.

I just ordered some federal GM 175 so we will see if my chrono was just on the blink.

I have read that some times putting a chrono in direct sun light will give you 100-150 FPS faster reading not sure how true that is but.

its a great shooting rifle so I will just tweak the load and see what I get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fordsoldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could get my hands on some Fed Match, stuff is extremly hard to find still in my area.

</div></div>

Midway USA has them in stock now for 36.99 per box of 20

Do you own a .22? Shoot it over the chrono and check readings.

Try some Remington match. My rifle loves it. Don't here to many people here talk about it. But I haven't been able to find black hills around so I grabed a box to try and so far it's realy nice. If you live close to St Louis cabelas has a to of it.

Just curious. Was the chrono fairly close to the muzzle? Sometimes a chrono will pick up the muzzle blast and give an erroneously high velocity. I like to keep the chrono at least 8-10ft away from the muzzle.

Greg