• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1st time using LRI

WeiserBucks

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Weiser , Idaho
    I recently bought a barreled action and the tube was way to long for full time suppressor use and was raw stainless.

I sent it off for a simple chop , thread to 5/8-24 and bead blast. I then get an email from LRI that it's been received at their shop . Within 30 minutes I get a phone call letting me know that the brake on it isn't 5/8-24 and won't be compatible.

Hell Ya brother! Customer service! I wasn't going to use the brake anyhow and told them they could chuck it in the dumpster. Pretty awesome that they called me to discuss the potential issue instead of just going through the motions. I wasn't quoted a lead time but turnaround was about 10 business days.

I've used other smiths in the past and will continue to spread my money around, but my 1st experience with LRI has been nothing short of excellent.

My son called LRI this morning to see if they could flute a bolt for him and one for me. They said bring them in. Half hour later he was there. Another 15 minutes both bolts fluted and he was out the door. With service like that you just gained 2 new customers. Btw the bolts look great
    257DA3B7-D4F0-40E1-8878-BAD622035A23.jpeg

I had LRI bush a AI AT bolt and it was quite impressive, I got an email when it arrived and was checked in, and notified that not only was it complete, but with a high-res picture of the work and another with return tracking info. Turn around I think was around 2 weeks with shipping both ways. Very impressed! Some other well known shops could learn a lot from that level of customer service and information.

I just sent a McMillan stock to LRI last week to have the barrel channel opened up to fit a Proof. McMillan said 12 weeks. LRI had it done in 4 days and it’s now on it’s way back. Why people use any place else is beyond me. I read the Patriot Valley thread and just laugh...

Status updates, pictures along the way of the work. Most work turned around in a week or less. I mean they’re miles ahead of everyone else and it’s not even close.

Reactions: beretta_man11
    I plan on using LRI to chamber a couple barrels after the holidays. Never used them before but hear nothing but great things.

Yep, I've had great experiences with them as well. I REALLY dig the updates and pictures sent via their work tracking system. As a lifelong proponent of using customer service as a business differentiator, I am constantly on the lookout for innovative ways to engage customers throughout the duration of an engagement, and this is a fantastic way to do it, IMO... don't make the customer reach out to you for an update, provide it proactively, along with a picture of the work to get/keep them excited! It's a great addition to the business, IMO.

Reactions: rhsc and moosemeat
    I've personally never used LRI, but they are on the very, very short list of gunsmiths I would use.

That list I could count with on one hand.
    I have used them for small work only , but I feel the same way. As efficient as they have completed that work I have full confidence in giving them a full build if need arises.

I've been working with Sam at LRI on custom inletting a Manners stock for a Seekins Havak action. He has been outstanding to deal with. Looking forward to getting it back. The items LRI has worked on for me have been flawless.

For those who haven't held a Seekins Havak in their hand, it's an M700 pattern for sure, but it's also a bit of a departure, the sides are faceted with a nice draft angle, etc. Working with good industry partners like Seekins who are willing to provide what we need (a solid model, in this case) to do things right really helps condense the turn around time for a job like this. Hope it runs well for you.

seekins havak sa bottom model.png

Final result:

20191014_084640.jpg
    20191014_084653.jpg
    20191014_090036.jpg
    20191014_090054.jpg
    20191014_090407.jpg

Last edited:
    For those who haven't held a Seekins Havak in their hand, it's an M700 pattern for sure, but it's also a bit of a departure, the sides are faceted with a nice draft angle, etc. Working with good industry partners like Seekins who are willing to provide what we need (a solid model, in this case) to do things right really helps condense the turn around time for a job like this. Hope it runs well for you.

View attachment 7163938

Final result:

View attachment 7163932View attachment 7163933View attachment 7163935View attachment 7163936View attachment 7163937
    What was the turn around time on this? It looks fantastic!

I need to share my experience with LRI this week. I paid and shipped five Remington 700 bolts to be fluted they received them last Friday . Monday I get notice they are done and being shipped back to me by Thursday . Today I had them in hand ready to go.
    Thanks LRI !

Last edited:
    Reactions: Average guy
    I just had a Defiance, Manners, Proof build done by LRI. Couldn’t have been easier on my end. I’m sure it was a at least a little bit of a PITA for them because I’ve spent most of the last year OCONUS and am still OCONUS (hint for Sam), but they were great.

I’m already planning my next build with them and I haven’t even laid hands on the rifle they just finished. The pics they took are the only thing I’ve seen.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
    Chad D., who is in charge of LRI, is a real professional and he uses a lot of common sense running the business. Which are two main reasons LRI is so good and I'm sure, will keep being good for a very long time.

Chad D., who is in charge of LRI, is a real professional and he uses a lot of common sense running the business. Which are two main reasons LRI is so good and I'm sure, will keep being good for a very long time.

You'll be the only person on the planet to ever accuse me of having common sense. I promise you.

In 1993 a partner and I lost a spades tournament deep in the bowels of the USS Mobile during a Combined Armed Forces Exercise.

The bet was that the loser had to go "rub one out" on the bow of the ship in broad daylight. I learned two lessons that day; I need to get better at Spades and the US Navy does not respond well to Marines "re christening" their ships.

Experience is never cheap. :)

1572880982183.png

Last edited:
    You'll be the only person on the planet to ever accuse me of having common sense. I promise you.

In 1993 a partner and I lost a spades tournament deep in the bowels of the USS Mobile during a Combined Armed Forces Exercise.

The bet was that the loser had to go "rub one out" on the bow of the ship in broad daylight. I learned two lessons that day; I need to get better at Spades and the US Navy does not respond well to Marines "re christening" their ships.

Experience is never cheap. :)

View attachment 7176731
    I'll keep accusing you of having common sense. In 1993 you're not yet running your business, and behaving, to put it mildly, in a weird manner while "wearing a uniform" was, is and will be not that uncommon... In fact, I've done it myself a little bit, w/o lots of thinking, which is normal at a younger age for any individual with a dick. Now you have a business, which works like a clock and takes responsibility very seriously, and you even learned a thing or two about CNC and other shit like this...

I hate to point it out to you, but by numbers, you're a lot better in what you do then most of the other brands in your area of expertise. And Chad, I bet it probably sucks to be one of the best...:D

Best to you,
    Boris, Borka Tools

Last edited:
    Reactions: Average guy
    I didn't purchase a barrel from them, however was having issues with removing my barrel from my RPR, I know who would have thought?. Anyway they responded to a post and suggested their barrel nut wrench. That thing is built like a tank. It grabbed the barrel nut and came off pretty quickly. I ordered it and later that day I had the shipping info in my email, delivered two days later. That's great CS and will always have my business now. Will be ordering my next barrel from them.

just sent them a barrel and super6 action to thread and chamber. Called me as soon as they recieved it just to verify what they were doing and suggested i send the mag so they could check my OAl to make sure everything is going to work. Told them i'll take any advice they want to give me with this build. Super folks