• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st Time with the "OCW" at the range today

remr5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Maryland
Hi, after hours of reading what it seems like millions of opinions and professional articles, I had a chance to get to the range and put it to the test.

Weapon system info. Remington 700 SS .308 5R 20 inch with a YHM Phantom Suppressor. MK4 3.5x-10x Leupold, TMR reticle, 20moa Ferrel Base, Badger rings. CDI Bottom metal. Stock HS Precision Stock with some mods.

Ammo. Hornady 178 bt match(not A-Max), Varget powder. Federal once fired gold metal brass (will be switching to Lapua), CCI # 200 primer COAL 2.855

Reloading equipment. RCBS powder measurer 09010, Cabella's brand digital reloader scale, Frankford Arsenal digital caliper, Hornady and Sinclair bullet comparator and 30 cal inserts, RCBS Rock chucker Press set with the sizing die, Lee Cast Press set with the seating die. Redding S Match two die set with a .337 bushing (bumped the fired case should 1 to 2 thousandths.

The target was at 100 yds. I got great results with 44.9gn load and 45.3gn. The 44.9gn load group was .48 inches and the 45.3gn load was .54 inches center to center. Two rounds were in the same hole with the 44.9 I got one case with pressure signs with the 45.3gn.

I tested some other popular loads but they did not work so well in my stick.

4-25-11targetocw.jpg

The closest I could get my Chrono was about 18ft.The tape measure stopped at 10ft and the range is an odd set up to say the least, but I will have a longer tape measure tomorrow so I know the distance for sure. The 45.3 was flying at 2647 fps and the 44.9 was 2620 (this was measured at around 18ft)

The top middle is the 44.9gn and the top right is the 45.3gn. All in all a great day and I love the "OCW" test.. After I find the sweet spot, I will shoot it at distance.

Tomorrow I will refine it a bit with 45.0gn, 45.1gn and 45.2 gn. I also loaded two other strings with a coal of 2.845 with 45.0gn and 45.1gn.

Re: 1st Time with the "OCW" at the range today

OCW isn't about phucking group size.......

It's about barrel harmonics and bullet exit.

Find THAT sweet spot, then worry about how small you can make the group.......

I agree the "OCW" is not about group size by its self, but if your shooting is sloppy then how will you know which load to go with? Accuracy is consistency and this is a vital part of the test.

Dan Newberry states in his article that the shooter needs to be able to shoot "MOA" groups in order for the "OCW" to perform as needed. So I'm not sure why your so upset that you need to leave comments like you did.

I just wanted to be detailed in my post to document my experience and maybe help some other newbie out. I have had to read a lot of posts to get my questions answered that I have because guys leave out info in their posts.

It's clear you mis understand what I was trying to convey, so I apologize for not making that clear. However your comments are unwarranted and unwelcome.

Hi, I got to the range yesterday and again learned a lot of good info. The pic is my results. The target was again at 100 yds and today I had a long enough tape measure. My chrono was 20ft from the muzzle. After looking over everything I think the 45.1gn with the coal of 2.845 is the load I'm going to refine. Any thoughts are welcome.

4-26-11targetocw.jpg

Sorry, but I'm lost on this one too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remr5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 45.1gn with the coal of 2.845 is the load I'm going to refine.</div></div>

If you don't mind me asking what is "coal of 2.845"?

Hi, It is the cartridge over all length from the brass base to the bullet tip.

I will try to resize them. They were real big and I shrink them. This is the best I can do until I get home.

4-25-11targetocw.jpg

4-26-11targetocw.jpg

You def have a 2+1 grouping going on. In my experience when I have similar grouping, if I seat the bullets deeper into the case, the 2+1 pattern resolves itself.

As per the OCW, I agree from the target it does appear that your OCW is around 45g.

I would recommend that you shoot one more round robin test with the 45.1g OCW charge, but vary seating depth by 0.005". From your 2+1 pattern, I would assume that the groupings will get better as you go deeper into the case.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You def have a 2+1 grouping going on. In my experience when I have similar grouping, if I seat the bullets deeper into the case, the 2+1 pattern resolves itself.

As per the OCW, I agree from the target it does appear that your OCW is around 45g.

I would recommend that you shoot one more round robin test with the 45.1g OCW charge, but vary seating depth by 0.005". From your 2+1 pattern, I would assume that the groupings will get better as you go deeper into the case.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. </div></div>

I agree with kyreloader per above...

Thanks for your comments, this is what I was thinking and also what a friend advised. But it's good to hear from others to see what they think. I'm planning on loading 45.1 and adjusting the seating. I will hopefully get to the range Monday and give it another go.

If you have a good group that has ugly groups within .1 higher and lower of it it is not an OCW load.
OCW loads are by definition loads that will be forgiving within a +/- couple tenths of a grain charge weight.

Use .2 or .3 intervals and if you are going to shoot only three shot groups shoot a couple of each.

Hi, by looking at the above two targets, what do you think I should shoot next? I loaded up several groups of the 45.1gn with different COAL. I'm making and educated guess by looking at data from both targets that the 45.1 gn is the "OCW" for my rifle. I'm making an educated guess that if I would have had the 45.2gn loaded with the shorter COAL it would have printed like the two previous groups.

I can always go back a load that just to see, but again by looking at the two I'm sure that what it is. However if you disagree I would like to hear your thoughts.

Hello, I got to the range today and most things went well. On the second string the stupid pills kicked in and I got all F***** up! But I recovered and found my final results. The coal 2.805 grouped the best with four bullets in one hole. Mv was 2624 @ 20 ft. Tomorrow I will shoot them at 200 and 300 yds. I also loaded some of the sorted brass that was light and heavy just to do some comparative tests.

I will have a chance to shoot 600yds in two weeks to test them at a longer distance. Here is the target from today.

5-2-11target.jpg