• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2-10(ish)x thoughts

TheComedian

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2022
Alright, so after wayyy too much time going down the 1-Xx rabbit hole, I've decided to go 2-10(or similar)x with a red dot for a 16" AR15. Have several upcoming tactical carbine classes so durability is top of mind. Any thoughts? Take S&B off the table but otherwise I'm open when it comes to money. Just bought one new gun and have another on order, so I'd like to ideally buy 2 if this setup works.

Alright, so after wayyy too much time going down the 1-Xx rabbit hole, I've decided to go 2-10(or similar)x with a red dot for a 16" AR15. Have several upcoming tactical carbine classes so durability is top of mind. Any thoughts? Take S&B off the table but otherwise I'm open when it comes to money. Just bought one new gun and have another on order, so I'd like to ideally buy 2 if this setup works.
Apparently, I could have look down the board a bit and read the Credo post.

• Haha
Reactions: paulo_santos
TFB TV's Hop liked the new one from Leupold. Brass Facts likes the one from Primary Arms. I like the one from Nightforce. So there's a few more to check out.

The Leupold has shit reticle options.

Unless the PA is their PLX line they’re POS.

Nightforce doesn’t have a 2-10. The 3-10 SHV is pretty meh and only has MOA options too.

I think the GlX 2.5-10 with the Griffin reticle is pretty great, particularly for the money. It has a very usable reticle on 2.5x, I'm fairly fast with it as close as 15M, and reasonable with it even closer. For my uses having a well designed reticle makes more of a difference than glass quality, which by the way is certainly plenty good for anything you might do with a 5.56 IMO. The Chevron center kinda sucks for precision work, so I dial 2 mils low and use the -2 line as my center when I am taking my time and dialing. For holds the simple mil tree is good for practical use with a 5.56.

I also have the Athlon 2-12. The reticle is too small on 2x for quick offhand shooting without illumination, so I end up dialing it to 3-4x for drills, making it kinda useless. The illumination sucks for speed work and lights up the whole reticle which is not ideal. Also noticeably heavier than the PA and the turrets are kinda crappy. On the other hand it has taken some light bashing and not lost zero.

The new Leupold is interesting but the 35mm tube kills it for me. I have a very specific way I like to mount my red dot and no one makes a lightweight 35mm mount that could do that.

If money is no object, I would be looking at the March 1.5-15 DFP now that it comes in a normal 34mm tube.

I'll put in a word for the US Optics FDN 10X or FX10. I've been using the 25x for PRS for over a year now, and it's been solid. The apparent FOV is massive. Eye relief is tight. Parallax is smooth, mag ring is smooth, turrets are quiet but tactile. Capped windage, etc. GAP or JNG-MIL reticle, depending on which is better for you. MK5s have a soda straw eyepiece. USO's is like a HUD. There is tunneling at low power, but if you're planning to use an RDS, it won't matter.

Reactions: TheComedian
The NXS is a pretty nice scope. Lighter weight as well. Used one for awhile on a 6.5 Grendel gas gun and was happy with it. Great resell value as well if you decide you want more or less mag.

The NXS is a pretty nice scope. Lighter weight as well. Used one for awhile on a 6.5 Grendel gas gun and was happy with it. Great resell value as well if you decide you want more or less mag.
I had several. Great scope so long as SFP works for you; the form factor and weight match the small frame “SPR” capability very well. Only time you’ll see me praise a Nightforce, take note.

I agree, the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 is a nice little scope for SPR or hunting use. I also have a couple on airguns and they work well in that role as well. I am usually a FFP guy. However, for the 2.5-10 range SFP works well. If you don't like it you can sell it for little loss. It is also reasonably priced for the quality of construction. The only thing I am not crazy about is the 5 mil/turn turrets.

I agree, the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 is a nice little scope for SPR or hunting use. I also have a couple on airguns and they work well in that role as well. I am usually a FFP guy. However, for the 2.5-10 range SFP works well. If you don't like it you can sell it for little loss. It is also reasonably priced for the quality of construction. The only thing I am not crazy about is the 5 mil/turn turrets.
Agreed. I don’t mind an SFP optic in that mag range.

I'm going to piggyback on this thread since there's a lot of NXS 2.5-10 talk in it... Any of you with one mount an RDS at 12 o'clock forward of the elevation turret? I'm about to order one but looking at pictures, that turret looks fairly tall, possibly tall enough to occlude an ACRO mounted forward of it.

Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR;

I like 12x compared to 10x as far as top end by a lot for distance and that includes using my March 1-10 DFP.
MUCH prefer close focusing side focus too. Part of that is I sometimes swap over scopes to rimfires and air rifles but there is no downside I can think of.
On 2x I can see the reticle on cardboard easily and on most targets unless they are black in which case the illume turned all the way up helps and although not daylight bright it becomes visible. Though of course I'm not denying I would prefer daylight bright illume. Yes at 3x this reticle is easier to see but you mentioned you'll have a RD anyway.
Not the lightest weight scope around and it is solidly built as far I can tell. No problems or complaints in the last 2 years.
Turrets - I have two of these scopes. No scope in this price range I've come across has even come close to the quality feel these have??? And both lock as well as have a zero stop.
12" is short enough.

I've had a NF 2.5-10x24 which was replaced with a Bushnell LRHS 3-12 which was replaced with this HG2DMR. I definitely like the latter over those two other scopes. Would I buy more of these if I had need - YES I would. It is quite unique and does a great job out to 1122Y on my 6mmFatRat as well as plinking on steel in my yard using the Helos G2 DMR 2-12 on my Steyr ProX.

AR/6mmFatRat
20210322_144312.jpg

Steyr ProX semiauto pcp air rifle on bottom. The air rifle on the top has a 34mm Athlon Midas TAC 5-25 on it for comparison.
20221204_134238.jpg

Last edited:
They're all somewhat shit compromises until you spend 3K or more. Vortex needs a G3 Middie, as does Burris XTR 3i and Pro. I'd say the TX6i fits, but it's way too heavy for the mag range.

Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR;

I like 12x compared to 10x as far as top end by a lot for distance and that includes using my March 1-10 DFP.
MUCH prefer close focusing side focus too. Part of that is I sometimes swap over scopes to rimfires and air rifles but there is no downside I can think of.
On 2x I can see the reticle on cardboard easily and on most targets unless they are black in which case the illume turned all the way up helps and although not daylight bright it becomes visible. Though of course I'm not denying I would prefer daylight bright illume. Yes at 3x this reticle is easier to see but you mentioned you'll have a RD anyway.
Not the lightest weight scope around and it is solidly built as far I can tell. No problems or complaints in the last 2 years.
Turrets - I have two of these scopes. No scope in this price range I've come across has even come close to the quality feel these have??? And both lock as well as have a zero stop.
12" is short enough.

I've had a NF 2.5-10x24 which was replaced with a Bushnell LRHS 3-12 which was replaced with this HG2DMR. I definitely like the latter over those two other scopes. Would I buy more of these if I had need - YES I would. It is quite unique and does a great job out to 1122Y on my 6mmFatRat as well as plinking on steel in my yard.

AR/6mmFatRat
View attachment 8076075
Steyr ProX semiauto pcp air rifle on bottom. The air rifle on the top has a 34mm Athlon Midas TAC 5-25 on it for comparison.View attachment 8076078
Nice Steyr air rifles Steve!

I have pretty much settled on NXS 2.5-10x42s or Acogs for my air rifles depending on the purpose.

The wonder twins wear NF. My field guns wear TA33 Acogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
Also very frustrating shopping in this segment and seeing the amazing Zeiss and Swaro offerings but all SFP with fat, useless reticles. I even would've purchased one in SFP instead of the heavy S&B 3-20 had the reticles been decent.

I'm going to piggyback on this thread since there's a lot of NXS 2.5-10 talk in it... Any of you with one mount an RDS at 12 o'clock forward of the elevation turret? I'm about to order one but looking at pictures, that turret looks fairly tall, possibly tall enough to occlude an ACRO mounted forward of it.
Here’s my NXS 2.5-10x42mm with a Nightforce Multimount. I don’t have a dot for it yet, but it should give you an idea of where the turret is in relation to a top mounted dot. I know Koeng just came out with an ACRO mount that replaces that rail piece, but I don’t know if it would put the dot too low.

Edit to add: here's that Koeng mount. Looks like it might work with the NXS, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Pictured with an NX8 1-8 with capped turrets.
1676584062085.png

Attachments

• 2FFA32AD-1D0D-4D59-A30E-36F4632969FC.jpeg
    2FFA32AD-1D0D-4D59-A30E-36F4632969FC.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The Leupold has shit reticle options.

Unless the PA is their PLX line they’re POS.

Nightforce doesn’t have a 2-10. The 3-10 SHV is pretty meh and only has MOA options too.
Totally disagree. I have a 2.5-10 glx and it works just fine. Far from garbage in my opinion. That sounds a bit irrational to say a PA scope is garbage outside of the plx line. Non-Chinese, think it was sub 700 bucks and performs just fine. Maybe it's because my standards are low or I'm just not tactical enough.

Reactions: Cutout and BCP
The NXS 2.5-10x42 is tough to beat. I use one on my main hunting rifle and it's been rock solid. The SFP isn't a deal breaker in this instance if there is anything I'm going to need to hold off for, guaranteed I'll already be at 10x. I've shot steel out to 1,150yds with my 6.5cm and it is a little harder to spot misses, but very easy to spot steel and shoot.

If you find a used one you won't lose any money by trying it. They hold value really well.

Reactions: Bakwa and Cutout
Totally disagree. I have a 2.5-10 glx and it works just fine. Far from garbage in my opinion. That sounds a bit irrational to say a PA scope is garbage outside of the plx line. Non-Chinese, think it was sub 700 bucks and performs just fine. Maybe it's because my standards are low or I'm just not tactical enough.

You can disagree all you want but it doesn’t change the fact that Chinese and Phillipino optics do not have track records of reliability, the opposite in fact.

PLX line is made in Japan which has a proven track record of reliable optics.

There are people that think NCstars are good scopes too…

• Haha
Reactions: Bakwa
The NXS 2.5-10x42 is tough to beat. I use one on my main hunting rifle and it's been rock solid. The SFP isn't a deal breaker in this instance if there is anything I'm going to need to hold off for, guaranteed I'll already be at 10x. I've shot steel out to 1,150yds with my 6.5cm and it is a little harder to spot misses, but very easy to spot steel and shoot.

If you find a used one you won't lose any money by trying it. They hold value really well.

I just got one yesterday for my Fix, I went back and forth between it and the Credo and ultimately decided on it.

No rounds with it yet but I got it mounted up and focused and it’s pretty good so far. I like the size and weight. The glass certainly doesn’t blow my mind though and the mag ring is stiff as fuck, stiffer than the one on the razor LHT that people complain about.

You can disagree all you want but it doesn’t change the fact that Chinese and Phillipino optics do not have track records of reliability, the opposite in fact.

PLX line is made in Japan which has a proven track record of reliable optics.

There are people that think NCstars are good scopes too…
For what it's worth there have been less threads complaining about the Phillipines made XTR3i than the US made XTR3s.

Seems the quality control is better in the Phillipines too with no purple turrets being sent out.

For what it's worth there have been less threads complaining about the Phillipines made XTR3i than the US made XTR3s.

Seems the quality control is better in the Phillipines too with no purple turrets being sent out.

I pretty much live in the Philippines optics range. Price to performance is good and easier to justify in my mind. I don't feel it necessary to pay 3x for the 5% upgrade or to get in the top tier. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns on scopes just as there is for cars or anything else.

Yes. I have a Burris on the Burris 30mm mount. It's totally fine and usable

Attachments

• 20190907_111325.jpg
    20190907_111325.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190907_111239.jpg
    20190907_111239.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 71