• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2.5-10x42 NSX tracking issue

AVN8TOR

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
PA
Hello Hiders. I've been a long time lurker and not much of a poster. I think the last time I posted it was pre-scout days. This will be long so here goes...

Today I took my NF 2.5-10X42 to the range atop of a LMT MWS .308. I shot it suppressed and non suppressed totaling ten rounds. Looking through the scope I decided to secure the rifle and dial the elevation knob to measure the POI shift between the two groups. When I got to .7mils of adjustment the reticle stopped moving, yet the turret still clicked and felt as though it should have been moving for what I was dialing. I thought ok, it's me not the scope as this has never given me an issue in over 4 years of service. I dialed backed to zero and removed the elevation turret for further inspection which revealed nothing unusual. I replaced the elevation knob and tried the aforementioned process again. This time the scope tracked as it normally should. I proceed to shoot another two groups both suppressed and non suppressed to verify the POI shift I previously shot. Again I proceeded to dial the elvation to measure the difference and exactly the same thing happened again. Once it reached .7 mils of elevation the reticle would not move any longer. Anything past .7 mils dialed had no effect on reticle movement. Once I dialed back down to .7mils and less it tracked normally again. Next I tried the windage knob and it functioned normally both 5.0 mils left and right without issue. Having no idea what to do I called NF customer support. A very nice lady named Carolyn (I believe) answered and assisted me with this issue. I explain all of this to her and she explained this issue has happened before and I may not have my rings (NF rings) tightened to spec. I said I'll check when I get home and left the conversation at that. As luck would have it there was a group of LE SWAT snipers (I hope that's correct terminology) working on the range beside me. I approached them asking if anyone had a torque wrench and one guy had a Wheeler Fat wrench. Perfect! I run back to my rig and check the screws and found nothing loose. Just for shits and giggles I try the elevation knob again, and again it starts working normally! Dials perfectly through 10 mils. I think to myself, "Of course why wouldn't it." I then proceed to shoot three rounds suppressed and check the elevation tracking again. As before it tracks normally for .7mils then stops again. Wonderful. I return the wrench and go home. I come home and sure enough the scope is acting just as it was when I left the range. .7mils of adjustment and nothing else. I check all the srews with a Snap-On inch pound wrench and everything is normal. I do one more tracking test, as per usual now, it starts tracking again perfectly. So now here I am typing a book on SH wondering what I should do. Should I take it back out to the range and put a few rounds through it just to see it track .7mils again, or should I just send it back to NF?

If you've made it this far I really do thank you. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.