• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2.5-16X50mm or 4.5-30X50mm Bushnell Elite for .243

RoughNeck182

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi, new to the forum and just bought my first rifle, a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .243 cal. I'm looking to put a Bushnell Elite 6500 scope on it but wasn't sure which was more practical, the 2.5-16 or the 4.5-30. I will be mostly plinking and target shooting too as far as I can push it out because I have plenty of space (1000+ yards probably) and maybe doing some coyote hunting. I reload and am going to load 105 A-Max's to start with... any suggestions for the scope/set-up in general before I drop $800+ dollars on the glass would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys, great forum by the way!!

Re: 2.5-16X50mm or 4.5-30X50mm Bushnell Elite for .243

If you can shoot past a 1000 yards the 30 power scope would come in handy. Have you considered any other brands? You could pick up a used Leupold Mark 4 for not much more money. I have three Mark 4's and love them all. Just my .02

Roughneck, check out BigRiverTactical.com before you spend the money, he has a better price than that. Now I do not know if they can ship to canada though and not sure if your prise was US or Can. HTH

PS, I run the 105 a-max in my 243 and is great also looked at the 2.5-16 tactical for it.

I bought one of the 4.5-30 models and was somewhat dissapointed. The image just turns to crap above 20X. For that reason alone I would opt for the 2.5-16. If I remember correctly and I only found this out after I bought it was the ADJ range on the reticle is lacking.

I played with mine a few day's and sold it.

NRA-Patron - No I hadn't really considered any other brands as I haven't seen anything else for sale locally in the same league as the Elites so these are the only one's I've had a chance to look through. Also I hear they are good 'bang for the buck', and the large magnification range seemed pretty hard to beat. I should definitely look into the used market though, that's something I hadn't really considered either.
Thanks for the input!

FNG - The price is in Canadian funds.. the price on BigRiverTactical.com at $699 works out to $810 canadian which is about the same as what I would pay locally.

TC1 - "the ADJ range on the reticle is lacking" - Is this to mean it doesn't have enough adjustment for long range shooting or that you found the adjustments inaccurate/not repeatable?

Thanks for all the great input so far guys, this is my first rig and I definitely don't want to regret spending the big bucks!