• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2.5 miles in Ukraine?

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    Don’t know why this was started in the bear pit, but I’d like to see some discussion here about the round, rifle, scope, barrel, and probability of this alleged feat

Reactions: 232593
    Here's what I have gleaned so far, in part from this website: https://sites.google.com/view/horizonslord/

1200mm barrel, so 47"
    Claimed 1100 meters/sec with 750 grain bullet (3600 fps)
    Lots of good pics and videos in the above link and in the bear pit link

In this video, look carefully at slow-mo approx 22 seconds - it's a hang fire:

Last edited:
    Eduardo knows the guy apparently, he's a good shot, been in the game a while. Bartlein delivered barrels. We know it's possible to tune a computer to deliver good data at such ranges. Now, can you do that deliberately on demand? Oh hell no. The bullet does need to land somewhere, and this time it landed where a guy was standing. I know a guy that hit an Iraqi office standing in a vehicle at 2000 odd yards with a Barrett .50. Given that gun is about 1 minute of Jeep at that range, you'd say that shot is impossible. It's just not something one can do repeatedly. Skill gets you closer to the target area, but your buddy Chance has a lot of responsibility for actually hitting something you wanted to.

IMG_5215.png
    IMG_5213.png
    IMG_5212.png
    IMG_5214.png

Why the old Soviet 14.5x114mm case necked down to 50cal? If you are going that big I would prefer a 20mm wildcat. But no matter why they are always truck moa guns. I have never seen low SD/ES and consistency with such cartridges. Probably no one is capable of getting the accuracy needed with all the 14.5. 14.9 and 20mm wildcats, which is why you see them used in "sniper rifles" mostly in poor, underdeveloped countries. Such cartridges would only be interesting if they were accurate at range (accuracy of 0.5moa) but this is not the case. If the kill shot at 2.5 miles is real at all then it was pure luck.

Reactions: stefan73
    I was going to make a thread about this account, but decided against it due to the likely politcal opinions, but if anyone is interested, this Yuri account on twitter owns a gunshop in Kyiv and fundraises/buys ELR rifles and optics for some sniper groups.
    There are some things I think people here would find interesting about different optics experiences, rifles, and bullets used.
    He talks about what holds up and what doesnt in a warzone (Not always applicable to us civilians, but still interesting to me at least)
    They run a lot of CheyTac 375/416.
    ATACRs, S&B, Leupold, M200 rifles etc....
    He mentions Gen3 Vortex, but said they have to give them to people who are very careful with them 😁.

Twitter account has the most detailed info...

A Youtube video on him

There is video of the supposed 2.5mi shot, but its grainy AF.
    That 52yr old guy was supposedly a competitive shooter before the war fyi.
    14.5mm Russian case necked down to Nato 50cal projectile.

Last edited:
    That was not political. It's just a fact that Ukraine is rather poor and underdeveloped compared to the USA. That's not even meant in a bad way. That such a shot has a lot to do with luck is also a fact.

Why the old Soviet 14.5x114mm case necked down to 50cal? If you are going that big I would prefer a 20mm wildcat. But no matter why they are always truck moa guns. I have never seen low SD/ES and consistency with such cartridges. Probably no one is capable of getting the accuracy needed with all the 14.5. 14.9 and 20mm wildcats, which is why you see them used in "sniper rifles" mostly in poor, underdeveloped countries. Such cartridges would only be interesting if they were accurate at range (accuracy of 0.5moa) but this is not the case. If the kill shot at 2.5 miles is real at all then it was pure luck.
    Maybe the 14.5 had better availability than the 20mm?

Reactions: stefan73
    That was not political. It's just a fact that Ukraine is rather poor and underdeveloped compared to the USA. That's not even meant in a bad way. That such a shot has a lot to do with luck is also a fact.
    Sorry for any confusion, I wasnt referring to your post in any way.
    Back to your regularly scheduled programming folks...

Last edited:
    Reactions: SEPAboltrifle
    20 mm is already a gunnery. How accurate are best guns at 2.5 miles?

what powder would you use?

14.5mm has 650 grains H20 case capacity. Anybody know what Anzio Ironworks 20mm vulcan uses for powder?

ZPU and DSHK (there are variants that use that caliber) use that round and would be readily available over there. From a supply standpoint using that brass makes more sense.