• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2.905" OAL .308

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
I was trying some handloads a friend prepped. He used the following components:

LC Match brass
168gr SMK
43.0 gr IMR 4064
CCI 200 Primer
2.905 OAL

These shoot .5 MOA out of my 700 LTR, so I guess I am happy but the OAL concerns me. This load he worked up for his 700, I believe it is a PSS or VLS, something other then a LTR. None of my reloading manuals show anything loaded longer then 2.8xx"

They do fit in the mag but dont feed real well.

Your thoughts on this?

<span style="color: #FF0000">ETA: </span> factory bottom metal with internal mag.

Re: 2.905" OAL .308

My thoughts are purely from a past military point of view.

If it has a detach mag or mag box and it runs 110% from those, no problem. If it won't, it's of no use to me, no matter how good it shoots, but thats just me. I've loads that are 2.800 oal and shoot very, very well, in everything they have been tried in.

I shoot the same load at 2.8 OAL. The Remingtons tend to have a very long throat, but I would want to make sure that you are not running the long loads into the lands. This can cause pressure spikes. If you have clearence, your fine. There are tools available to measure your chamber for OAL.

What mag are you using?

Have to agree with GF14E2. If it doesn't run all the time, drop dead reliable then it is no good.

Chamber in your LTR is going to be very similar to chamber in his PSS / VLS. IIRC you can't touch lands with a 168 SMK in factory Rem 700 chamber and still have bullet in the neck.

Have him load you some ammunition at an OAL that will feed 100% of the time from your magazine. Adjust powder charge accordingly and you'll see same accuracy, same velocity from your rifle.

2.935 is what me and my father-in-law worked up for my 700p. even he was cussing because when he was trying to figure out what length we should seat the 150 nosler ballistic tips. he said that "2.935 was really fucking long" oh yeah the brass was a 50% of FGMM and wichester wal-mart special, the winchester brass was more accurate. didn't try loading it in the mag, but they were not into the lands

My current load runs a 175 VLD over 40gr of Tac at 2.910 OAL. This puts the bullet .010 into the lands on a PTG Bisley Palma chamber. This will feed 100% from a Seekins DMS. Velocity is 2625 from a 28" Broughton. I will likely be switching to a 155 or 178 A-Max due to a price difference of almost $10 per box, and better availability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was trying some handloads a friend prepped. He used the following components:

LC Match brass
168gr SMK
43.0 gr IMR 4064
CCI 200 Primer
2.905 OAL

These shoot .5 MOA out of my 700 LTR, so I guess I am happy but the OAL concerns me. This load he worked up for his 700, I believe it is a PSS or VLS, something other then a LTR. None of my reloading manuals show anything loaded longer then 2.8xx"

They do fit in the mag but dont feed real well.

Your thoughts on this? </div></div>

You are not going to find any loading manual to tell you to load a 308 win to a COAL of 2.905". I used to have a Remy XCR and the chamber length on that throat is probably a mile or two. Even at 2.905", I would be long way from the lands. The rate limiting step is going to be the magazine length, which I didn't think was even close to that. I currently load my 308 to a COAL of 2.910" for my 155 scenars and 2.940" for my 208 AMAX. Both are magazine fed from the AIAW magazines <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span></span> AICS magazine.

For the Scenars, being close to the lands is NOT as critical as the Bergers bullets. So, you don't have to load them too long. I would load them as long as you can reliably magazine fed them without sacrifying the accuracy.

Don't know as that I can really agree with load 2.800 or get a single shot. There are other options. If OP insists on loading at 2.9+" for OAL....Notch feed ramp, get Badger bottom metal & Accurate mags w/o front plate so you can get out to 2.980ish" for OAL.

Please re-read my post. I said "Load them to mag length or go buy a single shot rifle.". Not "load 2.800 or get a single shot". A Remmy mag will go longer than 2.800, but if you exceed the mag's length, and most assuredly 2.905" will do it, then why have a repeating action when you can buy a single shot that's stronger/stiffer? If he converts to a BO or Seekins DBM that will accept a 2.906+ seating... then wouldn't he then be loading to mag length?

Funny thing is, I echo'd your comment but just in a more colorful light I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have him load you some ammunition at an OAL that will feed 100% of the time from your magazine.</div></div>

Yep, if he went BO or Seekins he could load to 2.9+" and be mag length. My bad.

OAL is normally determined by MAG length for a repeater, single loading can use OAL in relation to lands etc

My 308 has been setup to feed from modified AICS mag @ 2.920, that allows for .050 wiggle room in mag

Load so it works in your rifle

Karl,
Can you describe how you modified the AICS mags to allow you to load 2.920"? I am looking to put M5 bottom metal, running AICS mags on my GAP .308 and would like to be able to run a 175 VLD out to the lands(about the same OAL as yours).

Thanks

Sent MAgs to Preston n crew @ Surgeon rifles per Geo @ GAP, they removed front plate etc allowing for MAG OAL 2.990

Had to notch feed ramp, pert simple 5mins with dremel

Feeds flawlessly

Factory Remingtons use an extremely long lawyer-proof chamber so that idiots can safely use heavy round nose hunting bullets (like 200s and 220s).

The British have used long (2.900+) throats for years for Palma and Commonwealth competition due to the fact for many years their rules allowed use of (cheap) military surplus 7.62.

Sierras can take a lot of jump, but you may not get optimum accuracy.

Many (including myself) have had fairly good results having a factory 700 barrel set back a quarter inch and re-throated where the bullets don't jump nearly as far.

Simple...

load to max mag length (2.80-2.83)... that still feeds reliably of course.

...adjust charge weight to achieve accuracy node.

DON'T SWEAT THE JUMP!

-Wil