• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 Builds Competed

B y r o n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2004
Western Kentucky
These are my first AR builds.

6357.jpg

The top one is built on a Spike's Tactical lower with a Mega M.T.S. rifle length upper. It has a Satern 20" DCM 1:8 twist barrel with A2 flash suppressor. It also has an Adam's Arms gas piston conversion and Magpul PRS stock and MAID grip. The scope is a Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm mounted in Badger rings.

6358.jpg

6359.jpg

The Lower one is built on a JD Machine lower and upper with a Daniel's Defence rifle length Lite handguard. The barrel is a Ranier Arm's Shilen Match 18.5" SPR 1:8 twist with a YHM Phantom Comp/Brake with Closed End. It too has an Adam's Arms gas piston conversion with Magpul UBR stock and MAID grip. It has an EOTech 552 for sighting.

6360.jpg

6361.jpg

Both rifles have AR Gold trigger groups held in place by KNS Precision Gen 2 Mod 2 non-rotating trigger and hammer pins. They also have Bullet Buttons and C-Products 10 round magazines to comply with California's current gun laws. No range time on either as I just finished assembly on the lower one Friday and the upper one today.

It was fun putting these two together and I have 2 more partially assembled, a JD Machine DPMS pattern .308 that I need a barrel for and an AR based 6.5 Grendel. I wanted the Grendel to be gas piston also but the 24" medium weight Satern barrel has a .875" gas block so I'm having to adjust my plans. I haven't decided on a barrel length for the .308 yet but hoping I can get GA Precision to build it for me.

That's all for now, later.

Re: 2 Builds Competed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you're making the best of life in CA </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. Good work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice builds. On the Spikes/Mega, why the two different rings? </div></div>

It's a used pair of Max 50's that I had picked up some time ago and had on hand. I wasn't sure they would work on the AR but actually fit nice for height.

Thanks guys!

Doesn't look like a pair, though. Only the front ring appears to be a Max 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't look like a pair, though. Only the front ring appears to be a Max 50. </div></div>

Sorry, I picked up the ring a long time ago and they've just been sitting on the shelf. Looking at the Badger site it appears they are one of the USMC sets that Marty makes.

Well I got out to the range a couple days ago to function test the pair. Here are some of my observations:

My normal bore sight tool doesn't work on AR platform weapons, too low.

Eotech was good at 50 yards on 100 yard bull but unusable at 100 yards with scope sight-in targets with 1" aiming points.

The YHM brake/comp on the 18.5" gun worked very nice, keeping the dot on target.

I was using some old hand loads of various bullet configurations and weights. I had a few short cycles with light loads but no problems with standard load velocities.

I ran 5 rounds of Federal 69 gr Match through the 20" gun with dirty barrel. 5 shot group was .776" but it had 4 shots at .375". I think the barrel has potential.
smile.gif
Group shot off bipod and rear bag.

The 18.5" gun doesn't appear to be slouch either. At 50 yards it put 5 shots into a half inch group with 4 shots going into almost a single hole. Group shot off front rest and rear bag.

Now it's time to hit the loading bench and see what I can come up with for these two.