• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision 2 cheaper vs 1 expensive

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Ok... I have waffled back and forth on this for a while and need some advice.

I’ve got a pulsar scanner and a pulsar scope which works pretty well for me.

However, I’m intrigued about going with a helmet mounted thermal like the NOX. Due to budget I’d have to sell both the scanner and sight to find something like a NOX.

From those that have experience, is it better to have two lower end thermal devices or one higher end? Will I regret having to swap the NOX back and forth between platforms?

Last edited:
    If you have to shoot quickly after spotting the target, yes it will impact you. I hunt coyotes and as an example, I wouldn't want to be using a NOX to scan, and after seeing a coyote approaching, detach, and connect to my gun and shoot. This would not be nearly as effective as using two separate devices. However, it is totally going to depend on your use.

That’s a good point. I figured you could swap them pretty quick but I haven’t tried it.

I do also have my PVS14 and laser setup on my night hunting rig so I can snap shoot quick on anything close range.

If you are in a set position and can see your quarry approaching at distance then this is doable. Example, this past weekend we had parked the buggy at the edge of a several hundred acre field while hog hunting and I fired off the caller for kicks and giggles. A couple of coyotes popped out of a treeline about 400 yards out and started heading our way. I was still wearing the HMT from driving (MH25) and had it been weapon mountable could have made the swap.

But, when we are driving and looking for the piggies and come across them things happen fast. Typically I barely have time to brake the buggy and flip the HMT out of the way in order to get behind the WMT before they disappear.

Stalking may allow more flexibility in swapping between HMT and WMT, but I think still having a scanner on a lanyard will still be desirable. Just so when you take the device off the helmet and place it on the rifle you will have the ability to see what the quarry is doing without having to point the weapon. Especially when they deviate from the script and detour through the woods, get lost in the crp field, disappear in the folds of the land, etc.

Reactions: Rerun7
    we hunt big open fields in Ohio and indiana. many times detecting coyotes coming in from distances out to 1000yd. for example monday night we had a pair that was not hard charging but coming in solid at a standard trot. from time of detection/ID at 550yd to inside the killbox at 200yd or less it took less than 1 minute for them to cover. if you think you are capable of dropping a nox off your helmet, finding and locking it on a picatinny rail(preferably the same rail slot as when you zero it)....all quietly of course, then getting back on the gun to engage them hoping like fuck they didnt bust you while you were fiddlefucking your nox trying to get it on your rifle in the dark. then more power to you....

we hunt big open fields in Ohio and indiana. many times detecting coyotes coming in from distances out to 1000yd. for example monday night we had a pair that was not hard charging but coming in solid at a standard trot. from time of detection/ID at 550yd to inside the killbox at 200yd or less it took less than 1 minute for them to cover. if you think you are capable of dropping a nox off your helmet, finding and locking it on a picatinny rail(preferably the same rail slot as when you zero it)....all quietly of course, then getting back on the gun to engage them hoping like fuck they didnt bust you while you were fiddlefucking your nox trying to get it on your rifle in the dark. then more power to you....

This. I have a Skeet-irx that can be used on rifle, helmet, or handheld. I don’t move it around on the fly because the time and shift of my focus that it takes would result in me missing shots. I know it feels tempting to go cheap, but my advice would be don’t.

Reactions: mikefraz
    Yeah, you guys confirmed what I kind of assumed.

We can’t hunt coyote at night (hopefully that will change soon) so I’m after pigs. Was envisioning helmet mounting while moving and then switch it to the rifle while stationary and just scan from the tripod.

I also got to thinking about the fact that right now if one of my thermals break, I have a backup and am still functional. I’d be screwed if I had only one device.

I think the real issue is I want to move to a helmet mounted scanner but there aren’t a lot of great options between the Breach (poor CS) and the NOX (requires me to drop to one unit).

I’ve thought about the China skeet but I’m a little concerned about the durability

Yeah, you guys confirmed what I kind of assumed.

We can’t hunt coyote at night (hopefully that will change soon) so I’m after pigs. Was envisioning helmet mounting while moving and then switch it to the rifle while stationary and just scan from the tripod.

I also got to thinking about the fact that right now if one of my thermals break, I have a backup and am still functional. I’d be screwed if I had only one device.

I think the real issue is I want to move to a helmet mounted scanner but there aren’t a lot of great options between the Breach (poor CS) and the NOX (requires me to drop to one unit).

I’ve thought about the China skeet but I’m a little concerned about the durability

can find some ir patrol or reaps used for decent price if you are a little patient and keep your eyes peeled.

You can get away with one unit for both head and gun if you're pig hunting.
    Yeah see this would never work for me the way I pig hunt. It's way too dynamic. We ride around, spot, and shoot. Dismount and stalk if the opportunity arises. If I had to take it off a helmet and mount it on a rifle I'd miss a good 30% of the opportunities that present themselves on any given night. Been murdering swine with a single WMT for years. I have been saving for a HMT, and it is sure going to be nice.

Another example of how it's too subjective to make a blanket judgement I guess.

My first thermal was an apollo. I attached a lanyard on it and ran it as a spotter around my neck, but practiced the hecque out of clipping it on gun , quickly, with one hand. It worked well ! And this was using the apollo as a 1x thermal scope, I didn't actually use it much as a clipon, it worked fine as per the above. But, is there always time ?
    No.
    Sometimes I see a yote in my sights the instant I power up the UTC with the rifle on the tripod and the yote is at 100yds and moving out of my LOS, have to shoot instantly or gone.