• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s 2 choices in marriage

Re: 2 choices in marriage

don't get married or get married.

In about another month, my wife and I will have been together 39 years. In all that time I don't think either of us has declared a "BOSS". We have lived in a negotiated peace.

Robert A. Heinlein said, "If it turns out that you're right in a family argument, apologize at once."

One of the secrets to a happy relationship is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert A. Heinlein said, "If it turns out that you're right in a family argument, apologize at once."

One of the secrets to a happy relationship is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
</div></div>

Is that from one of his books? Which?

Compromises suck, because neither one gets what they really wanted.

Variety works better; where each gets their turn, and the other gets some personal alone time, or learns something new.

39 years in July.

Greg

a great institution,if you like being institutionalized. 15years on my life sentence.

That is the greatest one on this page!! I have been in for 7 years and i guess that is just the beginning!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a great institution,if you like being institutionalized. 15years on my life sentence. </div></div>

The Heinline quote is from Lazarus Long's Notebook, in "Time enough For Love". It is usually rendered: "If you realize you are right, apologize." A very good read. (Lazarus wears a blaster at all times, even in the shower. Or at least a vibro-knife)
Either way, it was Heinline's way of saying that one can be the bigger person in the situation by taking the lower posture. Rather than being "RIGHT" and having her PO'd at you, he espouses apologizing, and later benefiting out of appreciation for what a sensitive guy one is.

My father-in-law, before his death was a real character. He would tell the young brides to be:

You could give so many men so much pleasure, or one man so much misery (when married)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compromises suck, because neither one gets what they really wanted.

Variety works better; where each gets their turn, and the other gets some personal alone time, or learns something new.</div></div>

+1

If you compromise, you're only 1/2 happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert A. Heinlein said, "If it turns out that you're right in a family argument, apologize at once."

</div></div>

Took me a while to learn this lesson...........
cool.gif

Me, too. I'm on my third - and last - wife. Works both ways, though - she's on her third husband.
laugh.gif

Old saying: Too soon old, too late smart.

Two other choices: When the Little Woman is right, you can accept it and be encouraging, or you can continue to be an ass. Attitude is everything.

As for me, I'm on #last: more than one, less than three.

The thing is to bend with her,but you're two steps ahead in thinking. Honey,do you think I could go hunting,wannt go too? No?,Okay , have fun at the mall! Never be piss off in front of her,if you do,you're just taken 4 steps backwards.Lots of times its better not to say anything.

its sometimes easier to beg for forgivness(after the fact) than it is to ask for permission(before). now dont take that as "i can cheat and beg for forgivness" no, it doesnt work like that. it can, and has worked for "honey, i was on post, and the range was right there, i decided to shoot for an hour, im sorry".

one of my NCOIC's taught me that.

Never married and no plans to....Why buy the cow when the milk is free?

For those Hienlein fans, try ..."Have Spacesuit, Will Travel". I really prefered his earlier work, the stuff before "Stranger in a Strange Land". .More pure adventure, less highbrow philosophy.

Heinlein: <span style="font-style: italic">Starship Troopers</span> had an effect on my choice of military service. I read it again every few years.

Goldie said:
Never married and no plans to....Why buy the cow when the milk is free?

I dont see how the milk is free, you pay for it in anyway you get it!! Movies and such cost money, Wives nag and bitch in your ear. 8 months on my life sentence. May god have mercy on me lol.

Starship Troopers was his best, followed by The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - (of course in my opinion).

As far as Lazarus Long's marriage philosophy, I don't think I will take that advice from a guy who had his mom, and his two cloned daughters. Still a hilarious and awesome character, just really weird when it came to sex - he'd do it with a toaster if it had legs (in fact, Heinlein did have one of his characters do it with a toaster...excuse me, "grokked" it).

In any case, to the subject at hand, I'm envious of all of you who are happily married, and hope someday to join the club. The challenge is finding someone who, at the end of the day, makes you not care if you're wrong or right.

edit to add: of course, with all things, TANSTAAFL

I think a good woman lets her man think he's in charge and because she'll honor him by truly taking his final word as the word- then he really is in charge

but what makes a marriage happy is a true partnership- that isn't just about compromise and negotiation but true support of the other- which means giving in when its the right thing to do...and when each person is fulfilled as an individual- they have that much more to offer their spouse and children.