• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 Garands restored

Sailormilan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
While this isn't normal guns for here, I thought you might like to see a couple of nice restore Garands.

I have spent the past two weeks working on a Basket case Garand that I got from a guy on another forum. I knew when I got it from him it would require some work. But, it took a bit more than I had planned.
It was a CAI import, with a barrel totally gone. Rusted, and worn. Missing the rear sights, and a broken safety. Stock was a POS birch stock, with both handgaurds cracked and no good.
First thing I did was order a good used barrel, but when it got here it would not headspace to the bolt. So, I had to order another bolt. I ordered a -19 SA bolt, which is a good match for the 3.2 million receiver. It headspace perfectly and required very little lapping.
Yesterday, I bead blasted everything and reparked it, using a home parkerizing solution in the manganese phosphate type. This gun is destined for a buddy, and he wanted it black.
Boyd's had a stock special last week, in the slim cut WW2 style stocks. So I ordered 2..one for my buddy's gun, and one for my #2 son's Garand. Yesterday the stocks got here. I did some minor fitting last night, and this morning I finished them. My buddy's stock is finished in Early American stain, and currently has 3 coats of Tung Oil. Stain was used because there was a bit of sapwood on the stock and lower handgaurd.
#2 sons's Garand started life here as a Rack Grade Woodless Dane from the CMP. I had to replace the barrel, and the barrel that is on it now is just a temperary barrel for fitting things. It is finished in WW2 style zinc phosphate parkerisng, the mid grey finish shows the lead dipped heel. The stock is finished in 2 coats of Tung Oil.
They are now installed on the guns. There are a few parts that need to be installed, but for all intents and purposes, they are done.
My buddy's Garand before:
000_2081.jpg

As it is now:
000_2124.jpg

My #2 son's Garand:
000_2127.jpg

Re: 2 Garands restored

Great Work, they look gorgious! Would love to get my hands on a nice Garand, but was not able to find one in Austria for a decent price :-(

Ah well, there are always the Mosins :)