• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 Groups in One?

ToddKS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Wichita, KS
While shooting my last group today (10 shots) I got an intersting result. I had 6 shots in one nice group and 4 shots in another nice group about 1 MOA above it. I had been having similar issues earlier in the day but had written those high shots off as fliers, etc.

My question is what could I be doing in my setup or technique that would cause my shots to miss high on a semi consistant basis?

I do not believe this is equipment releated but rather operator error. My theory is that I am doing something wrong intermittently, but the error is consistant (thus the off target shots forming a second group). The error appears to only affect elevation, not windage. My problem is I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Groups were shot using a Harris bipod with rear bag. Winds were almost non-existent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am 99% sure that this is operator and not equipment or ammo related.

Re: 2 Groups in One?

Yes, I do pre load the bipod, but it is possible that I may not be consistant on this.

Range: 200 yds

Rifle is bedded. Action screws are set with a torque wrench to 45lbs front screw, 25lbs rear screw, which has historically been the preferred settings on the rifle.

If you haven't already done this...the next time you are at the range crank up your scope to max power before you shoot and watch your reticle. It may be your heartbeat. If you're shooting from a common bench it could be your fellow shooters.

Did you break your cheek weld after the sixth shot, move away from the rifle? Change anything? Did you check your NPA before every shot?

Could your stock be digging into the rear bag during recoil? That will cause a slight increase in POI.

Check all your hardware for tightness. Mounting screws, mounts, action screws, etc... sounds weird but it sounds kind of like something is jiggling around just ever so slightly.

The screws on everything were set with a torque wrench and I verified that everything was still torqued when I returned from shooting.

Cheek weld was broken after each shot. To the best of my ability I was verifying my NPA before each shot, but that does not mean I was successful in this.

The 4 shots that went high were not all in a row. They were shots 1, 2, 6, and 9.

Rear bag issue is a possibility as my rear bag is not very firm. It has occurred to me that my sling swivel is not flush and is sitting on the rear bag. I am going to try removing it next time and see if that helps.

Breathing is always a possibility, but I feel like I normally do a pretty good job controlling my breathing and breaking the trigger at the bottom of my breath.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The 4 shots that went high were not all in a row. They were shots 1, 2, 6, and 9.

</div></div>

This information helps.

My rear bag is a TAB and they are not very firm either but when used correctly there is no substitute IMO.

I'm thinking it is not the sling swivel. I use the sling to pull the rifle into my shoulder when shooting prone with my non firing hand.

Do you dry fire? If not, try it. It can really help

Work on your form, especially follow through.