• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2" Hitch Receiver Mount Shooting Bench

TrooperBrian

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Idaho, USA
Lately I've been shooting from prone trying to get a load worked up, but our range is on a slope so I have a lot of trouble getting up and down while laying in mud to make the shot.

So firstly I used my old motorcycle dolly, and a bit of ingenuity.

dsc7094copymedium.jpg

On top of that I found a piece of pipe in the shop that slipped over the top and added some angle iron pieces.

dsc7095copymedium.jpg

I decided to make the bench part out of wood.

dsc7096medium.jpg

And the end result!

dsc7097medium.jpg

For now decided not to paint the steel part in case I want to change anything.

dsc7098copymedium.jpg

Re: 2" Hitch Receiver Mount Shooting Bench

First, it's nice to see someone building their own gear.

Second, that's a SCHWEET setup that I would like my rifle to look like (Is that a B&C Tac Medalist A5 stock?) at some point.

**Edited out #3, apparently I completely failed to read the POU at the top of the post...**

So would you be sitting/laying in the cargo area of your truck to shoot from this position? Trying to picture it in my mind and failing.

What stock is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IndySSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, it's nice to see someone building their own gear.

Second, that's a SCHWEET setup that I would like my rifle to look like (Is that a B&C Tac Medalist A5 stock?) at some point.

**Edited out #3, apparently I completely failed to read the POU at the top of the post...**

So would you be sitting/laying in the cargo area of your truck to shoot from this position? Trying to picture it in my mind and failing.</div></div>

Thank you, and yes it is B&C's A5. I would have picked up a McRee, but I didn't have the money for it at the time. I sit directly to the left of the bench, much like a right handed desk from a classroom.

I have a very interesting shooting pattern from prone. First two shots go into almost the same hole..always. Third shot flies 1/2 to 1" away at 100. Fourth shot goes back in the group. Fifth shot flies WAY out, something like 1.5" on average. I lightened up the trigger and I'm going to try a few different loads and positions/rests before I blame the gun instead of the trigger monkey.

Oh wait I see the confusion. The bench swings out and points straight back. I just had it to the side for the picture, and not to scare the neighbors.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thank you, and yes it is B&C's A5. I would have picked up a McRee, but I didn't have the money for it at the time. I sit directly to the left of the bench, much like a right handed desk from a classroom.

I have a very interesting shooting pattern from prone. First two shots go into almost the same hole..always. Third shot flies 1/2 to 1" away at 100. Fourth shot goes back in the group. Fifth shot flies WAY out, something like 1.5" on average. I lightened up the trigger and I'm going to try a few different loads and positions/rests before I blame the gun instead of the trigger monkey. </div></div>

I was having similar issues when trying to fire precise groups with my rimfire rifle, found out it was my breathing being just ever so slightly off.... recorded myself shooting to find it. almost exactly the same, rounds 1&2 dead on, 3 was a flier, 4 back to norm, 5 a flier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh wait I see the confusion. The bench swings out and points straight back. I just had it to the side for the picture, and not to scare the neighbors.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ahh!!!

That makes sense!!!

I couldnt for the life of me figure out how you were sitting how you described?!

I understand now... I was originally picturing some sort of cross legged sitting position inside the cargo area...

For what it's worth, I have a portable bench that works very well. It is "T" shaped, made with two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together. I then cut 3/4" threaded steel pipe couplers at about a 10-degree angle and welded them to plates that I bolted to the three "ends" of the bench. Black iron pipe serves for legs that screw in and are thus slightly splayed outward. I store the legs under the bench in some blocks with holes drilled in them. Easy to setup and take down, doesn't take up much space, and is quite solid. When the wind blows (as it is known to do in Nevada) you don't get suspension rocking. I find that making your own is often the best bet with many things, so that you get the features you want, and the price is usually much better. There is that whole sense of satisfaction, too.

I built a bench that attached to the receiver hitch a few years ago, I used a tongue jack to stabilize it. It worked well until I quit shooting from a bench now it sits in the back yard. If any one finds themselves in south east Idaho you can have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built a bench that attached to the receiver hitch a few years ago, I used a tongue jack to stabilize it. It worked well until I quit shooting from a bench now it sits in the back yard. If any one finds themselves in south east Idaho you can have it.</div></div>

I'm over in Boise for the time being.

Unfortunately the bench didn't work as well in the field. The amount of side to side play I can fix, but it looks like I'll scrap this project for now. It was a good idea, but didn't work so well in practice. I ended up tucking my knees in and shooting prone out of my trunk.

The tongue jack really makes it solid, you don't get the bouncing and movement when you lift some of the weight off of the suspension. With yours do you sit in the back of the vehicle? On mine I made it with a seat. Mine is quite a bit bigger than yours and sticks out farther.
Wait that didn't sound right, you know what I mean.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tongue jack really makes it solid, you don't get the bouncing and movement when you lift some of the weight off of the suspension. With yours do you sit in the back of the vehicle? On mine I made it with a seat. Mine is quite a bit bigger than yours and sticks out farther.
Wait that didn't sound right, you know what I mean.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Right, I sit in the back of the vehicle. Even with the tongue supported there was a lot more wobble in the secondary joint. I may improve the design in the future, for now it was just a fun project to try out.

Especially now that I've found a much better bench.
laugh.gif

dsc7106medium.jpg

i was going try some similar but on a smaller scale just a hitch mount for a loading press so i can do some loading (different powder charge and different seating lenght) to do proper load development

keep updating on your modification..

Drill a hole and weld a nut over it. Then use a bolt to lock the joints to free up the wobble.

Might do the same for the actual hitch part too.

You can do alot with the 2" hitches. Very handy. I have a loading bench set up as well. You just need to have a wind block so the scale will even out when measuring powder.

I saw a guy recently with a baby stroller as a range cart. Made for nice conversation.lol