• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 hour old Remmy LTR DISSAPOINTMENTS!

TexanAviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Houston
I guess somebody decided overtightening and cross threading a thread protection screw would be a good idea. Check out the damage on that thing!

I do not really feel like having them tapped out, just want to keep my Badger stuff factory. Here are some photos.

3345783100_82f1f6b5aa_b.jpg

3344948331_c78c9abdef_b.jpg

Re: 2 hour hold LTR headed back to Remington

That sucks, another option is to have it opened up to 8/40.

Thanks for nothing Remington!

Called them up asking to have it sent back to them to be fixed. Guy told me that they do not pay for shipping for warranty items and that I would have to take that up with the "board of directors". And even once I did ship it, he told me it could be up to 10 weeks till I ever see my 2 hour old rifle again.

This is ridiculous...... I bought this thing from a fella that I saw on gunbroker... wonder if he would be able to do a swap or what not.

I called Chris at Aquila Firearms here really close to me and it is going to be $45.00 just to take that screw out... If I wanted to over tap them it would be $65.00 but I am not sure if I want to do that or if it would be better (list of parts after my rant)

What would you guys do? I am so fucking pissed off right now all I want to do is fight this thing, send it back for a refund and get a different model firearm. I cannot believe Remington is pulling this shit.

Anyhow... what would you guys do? Have it taken out and see if there is enough useable thread (there should be), or have it tapped out to 8/40?

Badger 20MOA Base
Badger Rings

There should be plenty of usable thread in there. Those protector caps only thread in 2.5 to 3 revolutions. If you have to pay 45 bucks to get that little screw out, it shouldn't cost much more to have it redone in 8x40. I'd personally get a driver that fit it, unscrew it, and slowly put in the new base screw (with out base obviously) so you can see that it is going in strait. If it goes in strait without too much force, you'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There should be plenty of usable thread in there. Those protector caps only thread in 2.5 to 3 revolutions. If you have to pay 45 bucks to get that little screw out, it shouldn't cost much more to have it redone in 8x40. I'd personally get a driver that fit it, unscrew it, and slowly put in the new base screw (with out base obviously) so you can see that it is going in strait. If it goes in strait without too much force, you'll be fine.

</div></div>

I got it out.. thing is this screw is not wanting to catch any threads to start going in... I tried cleaning the inside and everything.

Just get a tap, and chase the threads. The rear holes are not blind holes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There should be plenty of usable thread in there. Those protector caps only thread in 2.5 to 3 revolutions. If you have to pay 45 bucks to get that little screw out, it shouldn't cost much more to have it redone in 8x40. I'd personally get a driver that fit it, unscrew it, and slowly put in the new base screw (with out base obviously) so you can see that it is going in strait. If it goes in strait without too much force, you'll be fine.

</div></div>

I got it out.. thing is this screw is not wanting to catch any threads to start going in... I tried cleaning the inside and everything. </div></div>

This thing..... Is that the base screw from Badger or is it the old protector? I'd be focusing my attention on the person who sold me damaged goods. You said you got it off of GB, was it from an FFL advertising it as new, or just someone with buyer's remorse, or??? Worst case, 8/40's are fashionable anyway it seems.....

I had the post on the 5R and badger base. Does your remington already have 8-40 holes to fit the badger base screws or the standard 6-48? If the badger screws are too big you will have to get it done regardless of your situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There should be plenty of usable thread in there. Those protector caps only thread in 2.5 to 3 revolutions. If you have to pay 45 bucks to get that little screw out, it shouldn't cost much more to have it redone in 8x40. I'd personally get a driver that fit it, unscrew it, and slowly put in the new base screw (with out base obviously) so you can see that it is going in strait. If it goes in strait without too much force, you'll be fine.

</div></div>

I got it out.. thing is this screw is not wanting to catch any threads to start going in... I tried cleaning the inside and everything. </div></div>

This thing..... Is that the base screw from Badger or is it the old protector? I'd be focusing my attention on the person who sold me damaged goods. You said you got it off of GB, was it from an FFL advertising it as new, or just someone with buyer's remorse, or??? Worst case, 8/40's are fashionable anyway it seems..... </div></div>

Factory new from a gun dealer with multiple LTR's in stock that I found on gunbroker.

What is the big deal about going 8/40? (newbie) and is that something you would do instead while you were messing with it? I do not have a tap set and I also do not know what a "blind hole" is

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the post on the 5R and badger base. Does your remington already have 8-40 holes to fit the badger base screws or the standard 6-48? If the badger screws are too big you will have to get it done regardless of your situation. </div></div>

No, I believe both are 6-48 since that is standard on the LTR and these Badger screws are fitting just fine.

ya, you'll have to chase the threads like gunfighter said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya, you'll have to chase the threads like gunfighter said. </div></div>

yeah, and it is not happening with one of these bolts... going to call Chris at Aquila and see if he could chase it in. There is plenty of usable thread left in there so I am not worried about that. I just don't want to go through over sizing everything and messing with the base and stuff more than I have to.

What a shame.... I guess Remington has completely thrown their quality and integrity out the window.

You don't chase threads with a bolt, unless you cut all the bolt threads at each 90*,...which I don't advise you, doing, without more iron exper.

Get a tap an be done with it.

Even if you chase it you still may need a little longer scope base screw for that hole.

This is certainly a nuisance and should never have happened, but the solution of buying a tap for $5 and chasing the threads is a simple solution. Taps are tapered, so starting them is easier than a screw....it just takes a little patience and a soft touch. Check it out... it might be easier, (and cheaper) than you think.

TC

Also is this a new weapon or one someone is passing off as new?

I'm not backing Remington or any one, but I've seen folks lie about a weapons true history to sell it as new, before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also is this a new weapon or one someone is passing off as new?

I'm not backing Remington or any one, but I've seen folks lie about a weapons true history before. </div></div>

I answered this question already... Bran new in box from gunbroker... He has many of them in stock.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124682994

Also have my FFL transfer receipt from today at 12:46 if anyone wants me to scan it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is certainly a nuisance and should never have happened, but the solution of buying a tap for $5 and chasing the threads is a simple solution. Taps are tapered, so starting them is easier than a screw....it just takes a little patience and a soft touch. Check it out... it might be easier, (and cheaper) than you think.

TC </div></div>

Well now my scope mounting plans have changed.. Will likely have Aquila do it and I know he should have a tap and be able to do it without me screwing something up on it.... I am not going to touch it until he sees it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also is this a new weapon or one someone is passing off as new?

I'm not backing Remington or any one, but I've seen folks lie about a weapons true history before. </div></div>

I answered this question already... Bran new in box from gunbroker... He has many of them in stock.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124682994

Also have my FFL transfer receipt from today at 12:46 if anyone wants me to scan it. </div></div>

Well the reason I ask, is it looks like to me anyway, the blueing around the rear, front, hole has changed somewhat, just like it would if a base had been put on then taken off.

I've seen a few from remington that had the cap screws in all cockeyed. Usually though, they would stop putting them in once they hit resistance and leave them half hanging out. Never seen it where the base screw wouldn't grab the threads and correct itself, but that one is really in there. Must have been a really determined hungover rem employee.

Also now looking at it, I believe I see the imprint of a base mark over the rear screw area.

Gunfighter, are you talking about the dark ring around the second rear screw? (back to front)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also now looking at it, I believe I see the imprint of a base mark over the rear screw area. </div></div>

The gun is bran new, never registered from a licensed FFL dealer...

The screws do put a slight ring around the blueing around the holes and may have some effect on the finish.

Also, the box was taped with factory tape which we had to cut to open the box. it was taped identically to a SPS Tactical which was setting next to mine on the counter at the gun shop.

i am not trying to be a dick but this kind of shit happens albeit it's bullshit; but it happens. it would be in your best interest to be able to perform repairs on this level anyhow. it is really not that hard. it is a rifle not a swiss clock. you will be further ahead learning to do some of your own work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen a few from remington that had the cap screws in all cockeyed. Usually though, they would stop putting them in once they hit resistance and leave them half hanging out. Never seen it where the base screw wouldn't grab the threads and correct itself, but that one is really in there. Must have been a really determined hungover rem employee. </div></div>

One really determined, hungover rem employee working for a company real determined to support neither their customers, nor their products.

Their closest gunsmith shop that they "work with" is over a 2 hour drive from me.

I will likely have Aquila chase the thread since there is plenty left, then send the bill to Remington along with a letter and a link to this thread to see what they do.

Righteo. Gun is new. Remington shit on you. On the bright side, it should only take a minute to fix, run a tap through it and you should be go to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am not trying to be a dick but this kind of shit happens albeit it's bullshit; but it happens. it would be in your best interest to be able to perform repairs on this level anyhow. it is really not that hard. it is a rifle not a swiss clock. you will be further ahead learning to do some of your own work. </div></div>

No offense taken at all! I need this sort of post. You guys just realize this is my first bolt action/precision rifle. I just found an old tap set of mine but I am going to wait back to hear from Aquila before I touch it since they are right down the road.

I am VERY new to this and this is just VERY frustrating that to me something this simple.... a freaking tiny screw could have such an effect on how I view Remington now as a company.

I have had two guns of mine have to be sent back to the factory for work.... Both were paid for and I had both back to me within a week and a half. There is absolutely ZERO excuse that Remington cannot stand behind this no matter how small it might matter to some.

If anything, thank YOU guys for both helping me, and hearing me out while I vent. I truly appreciate all of you who have posted.

-Nic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Righteo. Gun is new. Remington shit on you. On the bright side, it should only take a minute to fix, run a tap through it and you should be go to go. </div></div>

Stupid question-

Does the tap actually retap everything all the way through? Or just enough so that It catches the threads that are still left?

On the "protector screw" you can actually see the old threads in the groove of the screw, so there is likely no thread there left at all.

emailed the seller asking what he could do..... perhaps swap it with me but he is in NY, I am in TX... not sure how that would work and I doubt he would go for it since I already did my paperwork.

Nic, my man, calm down. Precision shooting takes steady nerves and a calm demeanor -- like an AVIATOR. Don't let one little, bitty problem get your boxers in a wad. In the big scheme of things, this is nothing. And it isn't much in the little scheme of things, either. Imagine having a prized scope mounted in new rings and a matching base from a top mfg. Imagine having all four of the base screws shear right off after the 13th shot from a .308 -- which had previously been fired 1,000+ rounds with the scope mounted in much less expensive mounts. Scope, rings/base fall on the concrete walkway next to the bench. Because the four f'ing little bitty screws provided by the base mfg. were shit. A bad batch.

So, I used an 'EZ Out' sort of device to remove the stubs, and got about remounting the scope -- albeit not in the same mounts, for damn sure.

Breathe man, take a couple of deep breaths. You're gonna need to handle some of these tasks like at least one other poster suggested. Forget the Aquila outfit. $45 to remove a screw is robbery! I think it would have taken them 10 seconds.

As to Remington being Public Enemy #1 because of this, imagine how it would go if you sent them the rifle, because of a screw that costs less than a nickel. They send you a call-tag or RGA number for warranty claim. You box up the rifle, and ship it to them. They receive it, examine it, and fix it. They box it up, and send it back to you. That would take two weeks, minimum. The drive to the UPS store would be more costly, in terms of the time it takes you, than just removing the screw and chasing the threads with a tap.

So, how is the warranty repair idea better? It isn't!!! Shit happens. This was a little piece of corn in the shit world.

Call a regular machine shop -- not these Aquila folks -- in your area, and ensure they are open and would be willing to look at your empty/unloaded/bolt-removed-and-sitting-back-at-your-house barreled action.

Go there, with your tap, and a flashlight, and your barreled action. Tell them this little bitty hole should hold a little bitty screw like the good screws you kept from the other three holes. Then stand back and see what they say.

Five minutes later, you'll be driving home, with the problem solved, and a smile on your face. Breathe man. Easy does it.

Here are some other tasks you should do yourself:

mount scope base and rings and scope

adjust trigger

remove stock, reattach stock to proper torque

clean rifle

Now get to it, and stay off the Red Bull.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunfighter, are you talking about the dark ring around the second rear screw? (back to front) </div></div>
No, what I see is a imprimt that runs along side of the screw hole just where a base would go. Also it looks like a imprint at the rear screw area as well, could be Remington added a base then removed it before shipping, don't know, but I see something. A 20X loop would tell the tale.

By the way, if Remington really had their heads screwed on straight, they would leave their 700 actions in cylindrical form, instead of using a belt sander to grind off the rear top section to the flattish shape. Why they thought that was a good ideal is beyond me. Why do they stay with it? Because about a gazillion bases have been produced over the decades to fit it, and because they're schmucks.

Nate- thank you so much for your contributions.... As my user name hints, I should keep my cool a little more, even on here, hahaha.

In good news. The gentleman who I bought from (see the gunbroker link) got my email and immediately sent me a UPS tracking number.... For the replacement rifle he is sending me! He also sent me an email saying that he was going to send it in an open box, because he is going to go through the rifle with a fine tooth comb and remove the plugs himself so I do not have any more issues!

What an absolute stand up person Frank is. I dropped mine off at my FFL for them to ship so I am out:

$10.00 return shipping to Frank
$30.00 for ANOTHER FFL transfer

I've got half a mind to send this link over to Remington asking for my $40.00 back, haha.

Sorry to hear about this Texan, but I this is one of the reasons why some people always pay more from a local shop since you go over something before you buy it. That, or buy from a reputable person, which it seems like you did.

Too bad you have to keep waiting for your weapon.

I'm curious as to why you chose to spend 40 bucks on getting a new rifle instead of the cheaper option of the tap or the slightly more expensive option and just get it done with 8-40 screws?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kelvrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hear about this Texan, but I this is one of the reasons why some people always pay more from a local shop since you go over something before you buy it. That, or buy from a reputable person, which it seems like you did.

Too bad you have to keep waiting for your weapon.

I'm curious as to why you chose to spend 40 bucks on getting a new rifle instead of the cheaper option of the tap or the slightly more expensive option and just get it done with 8-40 screws? </div></div>

Called two local machine shops and neither would have anything to do with it... Plus it would have been ~ $50.00.

Then on the other hand, the gunsmith I was talking to was $45.00 "bench fee" I guess just to look at it.... not sure, then another $65.00 to tap it out for 8-40's.

I had emailed the guy I bought it through and he wanted the rifle back and sent me a tracking number so.... it is what it is.

Also on the LTR. I wanted to buy local, but I could not find any places that had them in stock.

That sucks. I ran into a similar situation where I ordered a 700 sps tactical in 308, but was sent a 223. Vendor offered to pay for shipping back and refund me the purchase price but in the end I sold it locally for like a $20 profit. Saved him shipping costs back and both of us a bunch of trouble.

Do you have any local shooting groups? I'm surprised you're in texas and lacking smiths or even local shooters who have the materials to do this for you. Maybe its because you're in the "fabled" land and I'm in California.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kelvrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sucks. I ran into a similar situation where I ordered a 700 sps tactical in 308, but was sent a 223. Vendor offered to pay for shipping back and refund me the purchase price but in the end I sold it locally for like a $20 profit. Saved him shipping costs back and both of us a bunch of trouble.

Do you have any local shooting groups? I'm surprised you're in texas and lacking smiths or even local shooters who have the materials to do this for you. Maybe its because you're in the "fabled" land and I'm in California. </div></div>

I have had an overwhelming show of support to help me get into this. I took a member up on his offer to help me mount my scope and what not, but still waiting on it, and now waiting on my rifle, again.

smile.gif

It is a downer when you get a new piece of kit and it's out of sorts straight from the box.

I'm pleased my LTR I took delivery of the other day looks good to go, now all scoped up, will be having its first outing this Sunday.

Let’s hope both of ours are shooters and you're not waiting too long on your replacement.

Just went threw about the same thing with a youth model except they burried the heads in so deep I had to dig for about two hours for the right head, then heat to get em out, took like three hours total to remove four screws with out shitting myself and buggering the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just went threw about the same thing with a youth model except they burried the heads in so deep I had to dig for about two hours for the right head, then heat to get em out, took like three hours total to remove four screws with out shitting myself and buggering the head. </div></div>

Ugh, what a pain in the ass... Glad you got it worked out though...

BTW--

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1043221

Two in one day (just on here)...

Way to go Remington!!!

Yepper, that sure is a bummer.

To some it seems like a no brainer easy fix but to others it is a bit more complicated and they don't want to honk anything up making it worse.

Buying or digging out a tap from a set is a super easy and cheap way to go. Like mentioned before just breath deep and take your time. You'd be suprised how easy it really is. It'll build your confidence for the next little thing that comes along.

good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yepper, that sure is a bummer.

To some it seems like a no brainer easy fix but to others it is a bit more complicated and they don't want to honk anything up making it worse.

Buying or digging out a tap from a set is a super easy and cheap way to go. Like mentioned before just breath deep and take your time. You'd be suprised how easy it really is. It'll build your confidence for the next little thing that comes along.

good luck.

</div></div>

First off, I COMPLETELY respect where you are coming from... But on the other hand. Do you think that everyone that buys these rifles want to have to go out of their way to purchase tools/home gunsmith something broken from the factory?

Don't get me wrong, it is a tiny bug up.... but those holes are the head and shoulders of the rifle. They should be more careful and tighten up their quality control and customer service.

This coming from someone who sent two of my pistols back to shops for warranty work this year already.

My Dan Wesson CBOB had a SMALL issue with two small things (trigger, safety). They paid shipping both ways, fixed the problems, test fired, cleaned, and had it back to me in 7 days.

My Sig X-Five had to go in for a broken sear. Again, shipping paid both ways, back in just under two weeks with a new sear, test fired, etc.

An absolute pleasure dealing with those companies so I have no problem giving credit where it is due.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yepper, that sure is a bummer.

good luck.

</div></div>

First off, I COMPLETELY respect where you are coming from... But on the other hand. Do you think that everyone that buys these rifles want to have to go out of their way to purchase tools/home gunsmith something broken from the factory?

Don't get me wrong, it is a tiny bug up.... but those holes are the head and shoulders of the rifle. They should be more careful and tighten up their quality control and customer service.

This coming from someone who sent two of my pistols back to shops for warranty work this year already.

My Dan Wesson CBOB had a SMALL issue with two small things (trigger, safety). They paid shipping both ways, fixed the problems, test fired, cleaned, and had it back to me in 7 days.

My Sig X-Five had to go in for a broken sear. Again, shipping paid both ways, back in just under two weeks with a new sear, test fired, etc.

An absolute pleasure dealing with those companies so I have no problem giving credit where it is due. </div></div>

Totally understandable. I guess when considering small things you can't compare a broken trigger, safetly, or sear. That's a different story.

Just looking at and considering the cost and frusturation to fix the thread issue was all. Nobody expects to have to fix an issue on a new product but like mentioned above several times it does happen and customers are the ones left with a bit of a bad taste in their mouths.

Some things are easily fixable at home and some aren't. Your not alone. My wife bought me a new Knight's SR15 Match last year and I had to send it back for work before ever firing a round
frown.gif
. I wasn't happy about it but it did get corrected. It took them a couple months and I paid out of pocket to ship it to them but they resolved the issue, test fired, and returned it.

Too bad Remington wasn't a little easier to work with, that sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also now looking at it, I believe I see the imprint of a base mark over the rear screw area. </div></div>

The gun is bran new, never registered from a licensed FFL dealer...

The screws do put a slight ring around the blueing around the holes and may have some effect on the finish.

Also, the box was taped with factory tape which we had to cut to open the box. it was taped identically to a SPS Tactical which was setting next to mine on the counter at the gun shop. </div></div>
Forgive me if I'm wrong here ,but don't FFL's have to open the box and verify the serial# before shipping out? Every rifle I have bought, the dealer always verify the numbers that they match the box.
Unless you picked it up off the factor line you have no way of knowing who could of finger f#$%ed your baby.

Glad you got the rifle exchanged. Remmy's QC sucks these days. Had a similar situation with one of my rifles a while back. Just chased it with a tap like everyone else has contributed.

In these days of the challenges to our shooting past time, it might pay for everyone to learn how to work on our own rifles.

Fly Safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: U2AV8R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you got the rifle exchanged. Remmy's QC sucks these days. Had a similar situation with one of my rifles a while back. Just chased it with a tap like everyone else has contributed.

In these days of the challenges to our shooting past time, it might pay for everyone to learn how to work on our own rifles.

Fly Safe. </div></div>

Sucks to hear you had the same problem. If it were not for my dealer wanting it back I would have done that.

Keep the dirty side down!

Nic