• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2 MOA of Vortex PST too coarse ?

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I should be receiving my 6-24 PST in the near future and I'm a bit concerned about something. The reticle is graduated in 2 MOA increments and I'm wondering if 2 MOA is too coarse for smaller targets like groundhogs. Or, for 5" wide exterior lights on the outside of houses. I have a Leuopold 6.5-20 with a TMR reticle that allows me to range off the 5" exterior light fixture but I'm really not sure a 2 MOA scope would allow for that.

As always, your wise and experienced answers are appreciated.

Re: 2 MOA of Vortex PST too coarse ?

When I originally ordered my pst 4x16 I ordered it in mrad. While waiting forever for it to ship, I did a bunch of reading about moa reticles and began to second guess my decision for mrad. However, once I studied the pst moa reticle I was convinced that my choice for an mrad reticle was the way to go. Just like you stated, it is graduated in 2 moa increments. I figured that the pst mrad reticle would allow for easier and more precise ranging due to the additional hash marks as compared to the moa reticle(depending on subtension). For the mrad, you separate each mil into tenths. for the 2 moa graduation,i assume you separate into eighths. So perhaps moa may be easier. Regardless,i think that if you dial in your desired elevation, the moa turrets allow for ever so slightly better precision. But, I too am curious what the expert's think.

Red,

If I'm not mistaken the TMR is graduated in 0.5 MIL increments. That's 1.8" @ 100 yds. Not much different from 2 MOA (2.09").

If 2 MOA is coarse, then so is 0.5 MILS.....

No need for the Fusions since I already use an effective Zeiss LRF. But I don't want to become solely reliant on electronics to allow me to range.

Waiting on a 4-16pst moa now but would have liked them to have had the first mark at 1 moa then the two then two after that. Easy to divide the first gap but just been a easy addition to help a bit.

Topstrap

Generally speaking beginners ask if a system is too coarse and experienced ones say too fine.

For beginners the 'need' for a super fine system of measurement that doesnt require skills in dividing the graduations by eye seems very obvious. However it has to stay rather fine or all the lines get in the way. (it is a sighting system first and foremost)

There can be some tricky ways to signify what value the lines have- length, thickness, the occasional number but fine is the design.

Problem i saw with such fine lined systems like the TMR is they work best in broad daylight. I can use my mildot as the sun sets. My TMR partner has to turn his illum on and for me looking past the lit center for my target is counterproductive until complete darkness where its better than nothing.

But that might be me, I cant read numbers on a yardstick at 100 yards using 6X!

Now practise overcomes the 'coarseness' some see in dot or 'wide' systems. Its a skill like driving a stick pickup vs an automatic. But it isnt a handicap.

I understand instant expertize. Many here have started from not knowning a milrad from a MOA now run websites pushing all manner of precision gear these days so it is learnable.

I like the thicker lines and dots of a simple Midot reticle. My favorite uses the genII type half mil hash. Kind of wish there was a scope series with it not in the gold accented Cadillac or Mercedes class.

A nice chevy or ford.

Anyway, while not the best for low light, I believe you will find a bit of skill on your part will have a 2 MOA reticle doing its part.

I would not worry because if you are ACTUALLY going to use your scope for ranging, you are going to ditch the MOA reticle in a matter of months in favor of a Mil based one

NO, what I'm actually going to do is adapt to the new reticles. I learned how to range with mildots and then tmrs, I can do the same with 2moa rets. I posed this question simply to try to determine whether any other, more experienced shooters thought that 2 moa reticles are too coarse thus creating unnecessarily difficult ranging problems.

I kinda' figure vortex studied this feature and chose to incorporate it for a reason. And in a pm I had with someone else, it was mentioned that 1 moa increments would have been too crowded.

As far as being a beginner - well, I never claimed to be an expert. But I also know experts who, if given the option of achieving an accurate answer through an "easy" method or a "difficult" method, will choose the easy method. I imagine in time I'll do fine with these rets. Just don't want to have to over-exert myself to do it.

I was just pointing out tendencies, not slagging anyone. Everyone starts someplace.

Not to belabor another point but terms like expert, difficult- or easy are very subjective.

An easy system under some conditions can be a real beyotch in other situations. If experts flocked to easy then those Christmas tree reticles would be selling like crack hotcakes. The PR on those reticles are so simple even a caveman can....

Experts tend toward the systems that are flexible and just enough so a balance is achieved. They have the skill set honed over years of use that can work without a millipede reticle.

But pay one a few bucks and they will/can shoot anything- they are experts.

Best expert I shot with got me 4 out of 5 by eyeballing the targets. It was a bet I didnt mind losing and the type of expert I was thinking of.

Any way Good Luck

I wonder why Vortex decided not to include the finer hashmarks on the top part of the MOA reticle like they do on the MRAD versions.

I don't think it is too coarse, if 2moa increments do not get you where you need to be, then take 2 seconds to trim the elevation turret +- at .25moa increments. We're talking groundhogs here...

I agree also, I dont really think any finer is necessary, but it is strange that the MRAD reticles have the fine hashmarks up top but not the MOA...Im sure there is a reason behind it though.

There are finer mark on the top which are broken down into .2 mils correct? on the mil version. So a mil is 3.6ish moa? So 3.6 / 10 = .36ish moa x2 = .72moa so is it correct that the small subtensions on top are finer than even 1moa reticles? I am asking to confirm my math?
thanks
T