• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.2 or .25 mil reticle

ohhowtheturntables

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2023
tn
Hi new to snipers hide and was wondering if I could get a opinion on reticle. I'm getting into PRS and narrowed the scope I want to Burris xtr pro and was wondering which reticle is best. Im coming from a MOA background so any help would be appreciated.

Don't fight the inevitable go to mil and never look back. Everyone in PRS is shooting mil.
The way you use a reticle it really doesn't matter but it will just save you the step of converting everyone else's dope in your mind when conversing with other shooters.

Reactions: camocorvette
I fell in love with a .2 retc over 10 ys ago when S&B came out with the H2CMR. I believe it was the first .2 available.

Having recently switched to the .25 i wish it was available 10 years ago. Still able to be very precise with wind holds, it is more intuitive and less cluttered. I also feel its faster as there are less lines and you dont catch yourself counting lines. Every one of us is very fluent in quarters as we grew up with 4 quarters is a dollar... Very fast and easy to apply to scope usage.

So glad the XTR Pro offers the SCR-Q quarter mil retc. Just go mil. It gives up nothing to MOA in terms of accuracy and all you friends are using it. It is a big deal being able to share wind calls.

GL
DT

Reactions: ohhowtheturntables
Sorry I may have mis understood your question. I thought you were asking Mil or MOA but you are wondering between a .25 and .2 graduated reticle.

I've never played with .25 I'd guess it's really not going to make a big difference. When holding corrections it should matter zero, but it may offer a slight more chance to make a mental mistake if trying to make a dial correction off a miss or if you have to hold for a target, even then you should only be off .1 at most.

I’ve grown to really like the SCR2 reticle and have the XTR pro on two of my rifles (centerfire and rimfire). At first the reticle in .2 MIL increments seemed a little busy and I found myself bracketing off the larger MIL marks for half MIL holds, but over time (and a lot of dry fire) I’ve gotten more comfortable with the finer hash marks (.2 and .8 are on the left, .4 and .6 on the right) for more precise holds. Ditto with wind. I shot a couple matches recently with a friend who‘s reticle only went down to .5 MIL and making micro adjustments for wind was more coarse for him than it was for me.

I haven’t tried the quarter mil reticle, and the concept intrigues me. But having learned to use to my .2 reticle, imma stick with what I know. I’m sure either one will do you just fine once you get used to it.

I tried the .2 of the Vortex EBR-7C and found it too cluttered.

I switched to the U.S. Optics MPR and it is much better .2, .5, .8 — it also doesn’t look like a spaghetti mess to me at lower power.

-Stan

8AA60FDA-6DEB-42C2-B1FF-03E3ED923C45.jpeg

I fell in love with a .2 retc over 10 ys ago when S&B came out with the H2CMR. I believe it was the first .2 available.

Having recently switched to the .25 i wish it was available 10 years ago. Still able to be very precise with wind holds, it is more intuitive and less cluttered. I also feel its faster as there are less lines and you dont catch yourself counting lines. Every one of us is very fluent in quarters as we grew up with 4 quarters is a dollar... Very fast and easy to apply to scope usage.

So glad the XTR Pro offers the SCR-Q quarter mil retc. Just go mil. It gives up nothing to MOA in terms of accuracy and all you friends are using it. It is a big deal being able to share wind calls.

GL
DT
How do you run your dope for a match/stage?
Do you write it down in .25 increments or do you just write it down normally and work out the holds as you are shooting?

I’ve not tried a .25mil reticle but I feel as though it’d take more brain power to work out holds.
Where as a .2mil reticle it’s easy to hold for .2/.4/.6/.8 and the bracket the target for .1/.3/.5/.7/9 holds.
Holding just off for a .2/.3 hold then bracketing for a .1 hold seems like it’d be annoying on under time pressure.

How do you run your dope for a match/stage?
Do you write it down in .25 increments or do you just write it down normally and work out the holds as you are shooting?

I’ve not tried a .25mil reticle but I feel as though it’d take more brain power to work out holds.
Where as a .2mil reticle it’s easy to hold for .2/.4/.6/.8 and the bracket the target for .1/.3/.5/.7/9 holds.
Holding just off for a .2/.3 hold then bracketing for a .1 hold seems like it’d be annoying on under time pressure.

i just write down the actual wind. its easier than it sounds as we are so naturally attuned to quarters. usually wind and time isnt that crazy you can still get things done. example below my mindset would be .25 on left edge for B target and .25 on right for R target and .25 center for Y target.

2020 NM SCOPE.jpg

now if time is super fast, I will prob dial and hold either side from there or if a bunch of targets I will usually have a bracket wrote down hopefully centering on one of the quarters

on matches where I run a BDC knob I have at least 2 winds and that is esp useful if not all targets are in same direction (different value hold for wind.)

pro knob 1.jpg

end of day, as someone who has over 10 years in competition on a .2 ret from scopes I own including S&B, Vortex, Minox, NF, and Burris, it was very fast to switch to the .25 and I felt much more natural.

GL
DT

i just write down the actual wind. its easier than it sounds as we are so naturally attuned to quarters. usually wind and time isnt that crazy you can still get things done. example below my mindset would be .25 on left edge for B target and .25 on right for R target and .25 center for Y target.

View attachment 8128049

now if time is super fast, I will prob dial and hold either side from there or if a bunch of targets I will usually have a bracket wrote down hopefully centering on one of the quarters

on matches where I run a BDC knob I have at least 2 winds and that is esp useful if not all targets are in same direction (different value hold for wind.)

View attachment 8128052

end of day, as someone who has over 10 years in competition on a .2 ret from scopes I own including S&B, Vortex, Minox, NF, and Burris, it was very fast to switch to the .25 and I felt much more natural.

GL
DT
Thanks for all the responses! I feel like quarter will feel more natural coming from MOA background and less clutter is also more appealing. Do you ever feel like its less precise 800+ if doing holdovers switching from a target lets say from 500m for time? Also when your doing your wind holds in matches do you typically have two wind holds and when you get out there just eyeball it if all targets are roughly in the same direction? Thanks for the help thus far new to this and any information is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: D_TROS
The problem with .25 mils is your dope. Its always going to be best to write/communicate your dope to nearest .1

In use, good reticles designed around .2s are easily resolvable to .1.

This is done simply bracketing the open-space between the .2's (eg space between .2 and .4) which will give you the tweener value (eg .3). This is why you don't normally need .5 marks at all, if you are just looking for effective .1 resolution (since your dope is .1).

However, the "half value" of full Mils is an argument for speed/clarity and this is seperate from resolution. IMHO, if you want less/simpler markings, then the .5 is good addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley_white