• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2 Piece Wheeler 34mm rings with level (review-ish)

Nathantc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 20, 2020
Got my Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 mocked up in some wheeler 34mm LOW rings.

DO NOT BUY THE WHEELER RINGS EXPECTING THE LEVEL TO BE OF ANY USE AT ALL. If it was fixed and not foldable it may have worked. Yes you can adjust the mount to correct the level, but the level will never rest in the same spot twice. It cannot be trusted. Rings are "ok" but highly recommend lapping them as they are cheap and it shows in every way. Would they work, sure, i think so, but they will never be more than just a mock up on this rifle. They are so loose i can move the scope in these photos for a reason.. Currently waiting on my Warne skyline medium mount that should be here Monday to actually mount this optic for the time being.
Just thought i'd share my experience on these if anyone else is thinking they would be a cheap option in larger ring sizes. I would not buy them twice. Even at their normal price of $70ish id say they are over priced.

Again, wheeler rings are "ok" if on a budget and you personally can lap them. Personally i only have them because i got a deal on them for $20 shipped, and now i see why.
sny44i.jpg

9bv101.jpg

gbl8lj.jpg

I've got 2 sets. On a 308 and a 22. They've worked well for me without lapping. I agree completely with ditching the level.

3go61x.jpg

o5hlf0.jpg

My warne skyline mount came in yesterday and i can say it night and day difference in quality. Im sure the rings could work just find due to their mass. Just instantly seen to many issues common to cheaper rings for my liking.

Are you referring to the issues you stated above or was there something beyond that after you began using them? Curious for future reference for myself.

Are you referring to the issues you stated above or was there something beyond that after you began using them? Curious for future reference for myself.
the thread on them were very rough and would making torquing them impossible, On 3 different rails including one i know to be true i use for testing rings, the did not line up at all. The level as stated is worthless. Im not saying they are unusable, im saying they are not priced accordingly. They are 100% on the same level as the basic extra high rings that come with cheap optics. If i were putting a $100 scope in them, i would not care at all. But even the strike eagle at $700, there is no way i would do that. They were bad enough i only had them finger tight on the scope tube just so i could play with the scope at range and make sure i want to even use it or not. I just dont understand how the wheeler rings sell for more than the basic $20-$30 rings at walmart. Even those i've had less complaints about. Can they be used. Im sure, would i trust a pricy optic ($500-$3500) in them, oh god no.

I did notice that the screws for the ring caps turn freely without the cap. But im guessing the holes dont line up well. When you try and put them together the screws end up in some sort of a bind getting pretty hard to turn.

I don't know why anyone would buy wheeler rings and expect anything else.

I don't know why anyone would buy wheeler rings and expect anything else.
hell i had no idea about wheeler as a company at all other than my wheeler FAT wrench. In photos and a LOT of online reviews they seemed like a good option. Well at least i didn't invest much in them. Just a paperweight currently. Might use them for testing scope tracking when i build me a rig for doing so.

If you think Wheeler's bubble level is useless wait until you try to use the bubble levels on a Spuhr or RRS mount. Those are absolutely garbage or it could be my eyes not being able to even look down or focus on them unless I move my head back and away from it.

If you think Wheeler's bubble level is useless wait until you try to use the bubble levels on a Spuhr or RRS mount. Those are absolutely garbage or it could be my eyes not being able to even look down or focus on them unless I move my head back and away from it.
That is exactly it, where can you easily check the level without issues?
Spuhr, Aadmount or US Optics style picc mounted level require movement to check.

Vortex/Holland/whoever on the scope aren't too far to move to check.
I have also seen some Steiner T-Series rings, which have an integrated bubble level in the top of the ring.

SPL28448.JPG

im just going to stick with this style. Get it level to the reticle. forget about it. even if removed from the mount, leave it on the optic forever. Better than anything else i've ever tried using. They can be cheap $4 or they can be nutts $200. Personally i would not buy one of the folding/telescoping ones. Basically Get one with no moving parts, clock it to be exact with the reticle.
1631575529794.png
1631575529794.png

Reactions: kmckinnon
That is exactly it, where can you easily check the level without issues?
Spuhr, Aadmount or US Optics style picc mounted level require movement to check.

In front of the parallax dial is the only place that has worked for me without taking my cheek off the cheek rest.

Reactions: Nathantc