• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2 Questions about Bushnell Elite & Pentax scopes

alee18

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
AZ
Hello SH

1) Can few people confirm that the new Bushnell Elite scope 3-9x40 model E3940 is a replacement and upgrade of previous Bushnell Elite 4200, rather than 3200?

2) Has anyone used or heard anything about Pentax® Gameseeker 5X 3-15x50 scope? I found them on sale currently for $100 shipped compared to the regular retail price of $240. Is this scope worth the money?

Thanks

Re: 2 Questions about Bushnell Elite & Pentax scopes

Nobody knows if E3940 is 4200 or 3200?

I have a couple of the Pentaxs and feel they are great for the money, and their warranty is great for their sport optics brands, I dropped mine twice and bent the zoom ring, or atleast the zoom ring wouldn't move, 19.95 and they sent me a new scope, no questions asked

The new elite line essentially replaced what was the 4200 line. Same glass with supposedly better coatings. The 3200 were discontinued and the trophy xlt took their place.

3200=3 times 9/3=3

4200=4 times 12/3=4, 24/6=4

6500=6 times 16/2.5=6.4, 30/4.5=6.6

this was the magnification range for each of these models

True but there were exceptions. I have a 4200 3-9x40 for example.

The new Elites appear to be a mix of both 3200 and 4200. To make matters worse, the Elite tactical appear to be a mix of 3200, 4200 and 6500. Being vague has allowed the company to adjust prices upward for what used to be 3200 scopes. For another example, the 10X40 was a 3200 and is now an Elite Tactical scope.

The New Elite scopes are, like RFutch said, the old 4200 with upgraded coatings, Rainguard HD, and different fill gas.

The Pentax GameSeeker isn't even in the same ballpark as the Elites.
Bought 2 or 3 of the Pentax and I wasn't impressed. Gave them away to kids at my shooting club.

For the price it's very difficult to beat the Elite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello SH

1) Can few people confirm that the new Bushnell Elite scope 3-9x40 model E3940 is a replacement and upgrade of previous Bushnell Elite 4200, rather than 3200?

2) Has anyone used or heard anything about Pentax® Gameseeker 5X 3-15x50 scope? I found them on sale currently for $100 shipped compared to the regular retail price of $240. Is this scope worth the money?

Thanks </div></div>

3-9 is a non-AO model, the cheap price is for a reason: the better alternative - bush elite 3200 4-12 is a good starter scope( I have two) when you are ready to move up put it on a 22 bolty for a nice trainer

the 100$ pentax is a 100$ scope, also not AO, not the deal of a life time

All the Pentax scopes I inspected at SHOT had below average glare performance. Not a big deal for target shooting at the range, but a deal breaker in my view for a big game hunting scope. It's surprising, since the Pentax porro prism binocular I use is excellent.

So then the older version Elite 4200 3-9x40 is better than the new Elite model E3940 3-9x40?

No the new 4200s are "better." But, I doubt you'll even see a difference.

I still own one Bushnell 6500 (4.5-30) and two 3200 (5-15). Very satisfied with their overall glass quality. Cannot tell difference between them and a Zeiss conquest I used to own. Of course, they are a notch (or two) below PR, S&B, SWFA, Swarovski but the price/quality ratio holds out much better IMO, if you are on budget

The turrets on the 3200 are crisp and click well. On one of mine, after turning up and down a few times, the elevation turret drifted a little and does not align perfectly with the zero-marking. Just by 0.1 MOA maybe, and it stabilized at the same position. It still shoots out to 200 yds very reproducibly. The other 3200 is good. The 6500 is very nice I have not had any issues

Overall they are excellent scopes for the prices you pay for them. The custom service is top notch