• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

yeahkkyle

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
US
Got a little action tonight after the storm passed. Started around midnight and was flurrying still. Hit the double cottontail a few times on our first set and had a fox barking but wouldn't come in. We hunt off an old striping mine road and have 4-5 spots with patches of woods and grass fields to set up in the area. Around 130 the snow stopped and we were just packing up to move to another set and I shined the next field quick and saw 2 sets of eyes at ~650yards Hopped in the vehicle and drove down to get a closer look. 2 red fox in the field at 250 yards running away from us. Finally got them to hold up at 335yards before entering a patch of woods and I squeezed one off.
pups3.jpg

2uhre2u.jpg

Nice head shot. Took a few pictures and drove back down to the main road. Set up on another stand and not even 5 minutes in 2 more came in to another field. It was my buddies turn, hit this one at 157yards.
nnmek6.jpg

Saw the 2 that got away with both of our pairs and had another one later in another field but was too far to make an ethical shot. Had 3 coyotes howling around 345 but wouldn't come in so we called it a night.
1h8siq.jpg

Re: 2 Reds

Damn... Ive always wanted to ad a fox skull to my wall of euro mounts... Maybe someday I will have the opportunity to shoot one...

Nice looking fur. I thought we were chilly at 20* hunting last weekend.......that looks downright cold.

GOOD wORK........... BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF MY YUTE.....1960`s
the state of WIS. used to pay 7.00$ apiece to exterminate them.....both red and grey.....
Like DUMMIES we did...seldom see them today....
bill larson

The one I shot has really nice fur. If I'm lucky I'll get $35-40 for the fur, the other one is pretty much ruined from a body shot. I use a 95gr vld .243 and put a small enter and exit hole, no damage. My friend uses a .22-250 and it tears them up sometimes. I use my .223 once in awhile but I'm more confident with the .243 to make longer shots so I usually carry that. I was tossing around the idea of a full mount but we will see. The area we hunt and also around my house has surprised me at how many fox there actually are. I wish we had more coyote though. They are spread out a little in our area and most get shot during deer season.

Weather wasn't that bad. Dropped to about 19* with a slight breeze here and there. Two weeks ago it was cold with a high of 11* for a couple days.

Thanks. Hoping to get out tomorrow and Tuesday night a little. I definitely will be hitting them hard next weekend too.