• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

2 remington actions

ddubas

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Sidney,NE
i have 2 remington actions. 1 short with a .378 bolt face and 1 long with a .473 bolt face. the short action is a .223 sporter weight rifle but i'm thinking of doing something in 6.5 with it. 6.5X47 lapua or 6.5 creedmoor or even 6.5 grendel. want something the wife and kids can shoot, low recoil, but still reach out and touch somehting(600 yards or less on deer size animals) the long action has a custom .25-06 barrel and shoots great but i want a larger caliber. at this point i was thinking either the .280 AI or opening the both face and going with the .300 Win Mag. Open to suggestions. Thanks,

Re: 2 remington actions

The 6.5 from a small case is not going to give lots of delivery at 600 yards. Finding someone with the reamer will be a problem.
Opening a bolt face to magnum is definitely go to be a problem with the extractor system it uses. I would think a 30.06 would be a good all around cartridge and about every smith has reamers for it. Also 30.06 ammo is relatively easy to find when out on the road. For a stock I would go with a Richards Micro Fit laminated stock. If your guy knows how to adjust triggers you will not need to sink a bunch in anything else. You will want to get the actions squared and the lugs lapped during the builds.
I just took a LA and barreled it in 308 and it works fine.

have you thought abou the 6.5x55 swede on the LA...look into that one.

The 280AI sounds like a winner. Have you considered a 6x45 for the sa, that would do well to 600 and not have to mod the bolt face.