• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 sided question- 280AI & powders

freebird63

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho USA
I got rid of my 300RUM for health reasons and fell into a sweet deal on a cutom 280 AI, it came with some brass and a set of Lee dies. For some reason the re-sizer die is scratching the heck out of my cases so that gives me a good excuse to get the redding dies I want. If anyone has any good loads for the 280 AI it would be great if you could point me in the right directions. The other part of my question is I see some people are using RE22 powder, but I have heard its very temp sensetive, I do have some H4831SC. I also see others using IMR powder but I am not sure how temp sensetive that powder is, anyone have any answers to that one???? mainly IMR 4350 and IMR 4831. I live in Idaho so the temps during hunting season can vary from below freezing to 70 degree's. Thats why I was leaning towards the extreme powder that hogdon makes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck in Boise

Re: 2 sided question- 280AI & powders

Hodgdon Reloading Center Load data Center has many loads for the 280 AI. In addition, the 7mm REM SAUM has the identical powder capacity to the 280 AI, so load data (worked up from below) can also be used.

H4831 and H4350 produce very good velocity with bullets up to 150 grains, after that H-1000 and Retumbo can be used effectively.

None of the H Extreme powders are a temp sensitive as the RL or IMR lines.

h4831sc with the 150-162's, after that I found H1000 to work better for the 162-180's in my regular 280 that I had.

Retumbo is on the borderline of being too slow for the 7 WSM, it's better than H1000 but requires compressed loads to do it. I strongly suspect that Retumbo will be a little slow for your needs.

H1000 would be where I bet money on the performance to be for all things considered.

Thanks guys. I grew up on the Oregon coast and use to shoot a 7mm, this was long before the short mags or the ultra mags. My friends father was a reloader and his pet load for the 7mm was a hornady 162 BTSP, 67gr IMR 4831 and CCI large rifle magnum primers. Back then we didn't have a chrono but that load was the most accurate load I have ever shot. But then over on the Oregon coast the temps were pretty stable so thats why IMR powders shot so well., but here in Idaho usually openning day is pretty nice, thou a couple years back we couldn't make back into one of our favorite huntin spots as there was too much snow. I emailed Walt about what data they had for the 280AI and he said they didn't have any data but to check out the regular 280 and work up from there. If the feds would ever get off their butts and send me my tax return then I could afford the redding dies some other reloading components and have been checking out that new vortex scope with the first focal plane. Anyways thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to see how this bad boy performs on a monster muley.
Chuck in Boise

I've just recently got my 280AI from GAP and have been working up loads for Berger 168g VLD. Tested IMR7828ssc and H4831sc. Did ladder testing with both and then followed with load development work using the IMR7828 as I was able to get about 150fps more vel with max loads in IMR vs max load with the H4831. However, I never could get the IMR to group worth a damn (1.5 -2.2" groups after playing with two accuracy nodes and varying seating depths). So I went back to a node on the H4831 and it was like magic. When I worked various seating depths I was consistenly getting groups of 0.3" to 0.7".

Have given up on the IMR for this rifle/bullet combo but love the H4831sc. Getting velocities of 2810fps using 59.2g H4831sc, Berger 168g VLD, F210, Nosler brass.