• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 stage AR trigger

Mildot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2003
Central Indiana
I am looking for a 2 stage AR15 trigger for a general use carbine. Want to spend between $80 to $150.

Currently have an ALG ACT single stage in the rifle and while smooth the pull weight is 6.75lbs. Would like to get it down to 3.5 to 4.5 lbs.

What would be a good smooth trigger in that price range?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandhog308
I am very fond of the Ruger 452 triggers. Since they are nowhere to be found, I’ve switched to using the Larue MBT triggers In my ARs.

Reactions: Sandhog308
I am looking for a 2 stage AR15 trigger for a general use carbine. Want to spend between $80 to $150.

Currently have an ALG ACT single stage in the rifle and while smooth the pull weight is 6.75lbs. Would like to get it down to 3.5 to 4.5 lbs.

Thanks
One more for LaRue Trigger. 👍🇺🇸

I also like the MBT-2 for the price (save when you buy 3 or 5), but I will toss a SCHMID INSIDE two stage into the mix.
It's the one with the little "S" on it.
Midway has it on sale from time to time.
OP want's a 3.5 to 4.5 lbs pull but for those that like a lighter pull the Schmid is easier to modify.
Swapping out the disconnector spring with a standard mil-spec type spring or trimming the spring is easier with the Schmid.
The MBT-2 uses a peened in pin for the disconnector that is a little harder to remove and replace.
MBT-2S.JPG

Schmid-2S.jpg

Easy to get either to less than 2.5 lbs.
Floor shims can be used with either to reduce 1st stage take up.
Reduced power TRIGGER spring and get real close to 2 lbs but KEEP the standard hammer spring.
I missed out on the Brownells green adjustable drop in trigger tech while on sale.

MBT-2S modified springs, video on Flickr

Last edited:
I am very fond of the Ruger 452 triggers. Since they are nowhere to be found, I’ve switched to using the Larue MBT triggers In my ARs.
FWIW, those are Schmid Tool triggers. Lots of places rebrand them as their own.

https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/

And as per this trigger pull test (Dvorak TriggerScan system) ... the Centurion version is smoother then the less expensive versions of the Schmid 2-stage elsewhere.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Robotic-Testing-AR15-Triggers-Updated-5-1-2023/12-779525/

I like the pull on the LaRue ( also in the above test link ) ... but honestly I don't like the trigger face profile, YMMV.

Larue is hard to beat for the money, but keep in mind they have slow ass shipping times. It will be a few weeks to a few months before you get it.

I think I have like 6 or 7 MBT across some of my AR's. It is a very thick (wide) trigger and does not feel as nice as the slimmer G triggers IMO. But for $90 or 3/$75 each they can't really be beat.

The other really good choice is the Giessele G2S. Its basically a SSA without the QA and some other shit that doesn't effect trigger pull. They are like $125-150.

I ordered a MBT last week and it was delivered in 8 days. I find the pull weight closer to 5lbs. I did a ten pull average and got 4lbs 15oz. Replace the trigger and hammer spring with the JP Enhanced kit (Red Hammer/Gold trigger) and it came down to 4lbs 2oz with a much cleaner first stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRRPF52 and BurtG
I like those JP spring kits, I used a Service Rifle spring kit on an Aero 2 stage trigger and it brought the weight down from a little over 4 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs. 1st stage is buttery smooth and the break isn’t as crisp as a Geissele but damn nice all the same. I tried the Enhanced Reliability set and that took the weight a little farther down to about 3 lbs.

Reactions: BurtG
Keep first stage to at least 1 pound. Less and reset is soft.

MBT-2S-First-Stage.jpg

Second stage compresses the disconnector spring.
Second stage, with modified disconnector and JP trigger spring adds another pound or pound and a half for a 2 to 2.5 pound total.

MBt-2S-second-Stage.jpg

With the MBT-2S or the Schmid the hammer spring contributes very little to trigger pull.
I suggest keeping the standard hammer spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRRPF52 and mettee
Larue is hard to beat for the money, but keep in mind they have slow ass shipping times. It will be a few weeks to a few months before you get it.

I think I have like 6 or 7 MBT across some of my AR's. It is a very thick (wide) trigger and does not feel as nice as the slimmer G triggers IMO. But for $90 or 3/$75 each they can't really be beat.

The other really good choice is the Giessele G2S. Its basically a SSA without the QA and some other shit that doesn't effect trigger pull. They are like $125-150.
I ordered 3 Larue triggers for the price break 2 weeks ago on a monday and had them on thursday of the same week.
Their shipping times may have improved?

FWIW, those are Schmid Tool triggers. Lots of places rebrand them as their own.

https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/

And as per this trigger pull test (Dvorak TriggerScan system) ... the Centurion version is smoother then the less expensive versions of the Schmid 2-stage elsewhere.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Robotic-Testing-AR15-Triggers-Updated-5-1-2023/12-779525/

I like the pull on the LaRue ( also in the above test link ) ... but honestly I don't like the trigger face profile, YMMV.
Thank you for that valuable information.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I ordered a MBT last week and it was delivered in 8 days. If find the pull weight closer to 5lbs. I did a ten pull average and got 4lbs 15oz. Replace the trigger and happen spring with the JP Enhanced kit (Red Hammer/Gold trigger) and it came down to 4lbs 2oz with a much cleaner first stage.
So the JP trigger spring is worth it for Larues?

I will say that I received a Gisele G2S that needed a very slight mod to the hammer. When you started to release the trigger after a shot, you could feel the disconnector slide down the back of the hammer, engage some lump on it, then engage with the hook. I ground down the back of the hammer, very slightly, so that the disconnector only engages the hook on the back of the hammer.

With an observations of N=1, it appears that the additional QC that the SSA and SSA-E triggers go through important.

That said, post mod, the only sure way to tell the difference between the G2S and SSA-E triggers that I own is with a trigger pull gauge.

So the JP trigger spring is worth it for Larues?

I think so, the first stage take up and reset is rather gritty for my liking and I've never had one actually break at the advised 4.5lbs out of the box, with time they clean up a little.

I've ran the reduced power trigger spring kit (Gold Hammer/Gold Trigger) and have never had an issue will MIL ammo.

They are only $8.00 so I always keep a bunch on hand, mostly the enhanced reliability (Red Hammer/Gold Trigger and install them in all my Geissele and Kac triggers as well.

Last edited:
LaRue best Trigger for the Money. Just wish there barrels were the same. There scope mounts were a good deal back when they were below $200

Reactions: GhostFace
Lots of good recommendations here. The MBT-2S is my go-to for all my basic rifles these days.

My precision guns get TriggerTechs (Competitive 3.5lb, Adaptive, Diamond) and they are absolutely fantastic if you don't mind a short first stage. TT just came out with their Duty triggers that are not much more expensive than the MBT-2S at $130 MSRP. Based on my experience with the more expensive TTs, I'd venture to guess the Duty is worth every penny.

Primary Arms code SAVE12 brings it down to $114 before tax & shipping. They have flat or curved, 1-stage or 2-stage, and 3.5 lb or 5.5 lb varieties to choose from.

Reactions: LRRPF52
I ordered 3 Larue triggers for the price break 2 weeks ago on a monday and had them on thursday of the same week.
Their shipping times may have improved?
Maybe? I Ordered one on the 12th, UPS got it the 14th and I may see it tomorrow. Originally supposed to be delivered last Friday. I think part of their problems is UPS.

Thanks

Its really hard to beat a Larue MBT in that price range, while it's not quite crisp as my Giesselle National Match, its half the price and IMO should be considered the default standard trigger for accuracy-based builds.

I ordered a MBT last week and it was delivered in 8 days. I find the pull weight closer to 5lbs. I did a ten pull average and got 4lbs 15oz. Replace the trigger and hammer spring with the JP Enhanced kit (Red Hammer/Gold trigger) and it came down to 4lbs 2oz with a much cleaner first stage.
Still reliable with 5.56 primers ?

Yes Sir, and if that's something you're worried about go the enhanced reliability spring kit. (Red Hammer/Gold Trigger) there's only about a 3-4oz difference between the two Trigger spring kits.

I don't even use OEM springs anymore with Geissele or KAC triggers, they get swapped out first thing. I'm sure you have access to a Geissele or MBT, order up a JP spring kit and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I never had a single issue with 5.56 primers and mbts. was this a thing?

I have replaced almost all my triggers with the AST and haven't looked back. great break, shoe, quick take up, fast reset, can't say enough good things really

I never had a single issue with 5.56 primers and mbts. was this a thing?

I have replaced almost all my triggers with the AST and haven't looked back. great break, shoe, quick take up, fast reset, can't say enough good things really
I mean with different springs.

I also use a bunch of Larue triggers. It’s either that or spend $300 on a g nm. No in between for me

Keep the alg act and get a joe bobs grip screw and the kaw valley spring kit with it. It makes a world of difference. The grip screw is a must have for all mil spec style triggers.

Reactions: JS8588
I am a fan of Hiperfire duty triggers and the 24E that I have in an 18" 6.5 Grendel. Duty triggers run around $95 and the more precision triggers like the 24E are around $220 +. I mention as an alternative.

Reactions: Quintus
Lots of good recommendations here. The MBT-2S is my go-to for all my basic rifles these days.

My precision guns get TriggerTechs (Competitive 3.5lb, Adaptive, Diamond) and they are absolutely fantastic if you don't mind a short first stage. TT just came out with their Duty triggers that are not much more expensive than the MBT-2S at $130 MSRP. Based on my experience with the more expensive TTs, I'd venture to guess the Duty is worth every penny.

Primary Arms code SAVE12 brings it down to $114 before tax & shipping. They have flat or curved, 1-stage or 2-stage, and 3.5 lb or 5.5 lb varieties to choose from.

My only issue with trigger tech is their weak and quiet reset. I wonder if they improved that with this one.

The design of our new Duty Line was driven by feedback from military and law enforcement operators. They wanted our patented Zero Creep Technology and proven stainless steel internals, but with a more tactile feel. To achieve this, we more than doubled the pull weight and length of the first stage. And after the zero creep break we engineered a much more forceful reset. The result? A totally different feel that offers more certainty with every shot. The Duty Line is TriggerTechs interpretation of what Mil-Spec should be.

My only issue with trigger tech is their weak and quiet reset. I wonder if they improved that with this one.
Totally get that. While I like the TT reset, it's definitely not as forceful as the LaRue & Geissele options.

The design of our new Duty Line was driven by feedback from military and law enforcement operators. They wanted our patented Zero Creep Technology and proven stainless steel internals, but with a more tactile feel. To achieve this, we more than doubled the pull weight and length of the first stage. And after the zero creep break we engineered a much more forceful reset. The result? A totally different feel that offers more certainty with every shot. The Duty Line is TriggerTechs interpretation of what Mil-Spec should be.
I'm definitely going to pick one of these up to compare to my MBTs.

Reactions: JS8588
The LaRue MBT was a massive improvement over my mil-spec trigger. For the price it is definitely worth it, however the break on the second stage is still just a touch heavy to me for precision work. Maybe it just needs some break in though as I only have 100 rounds on it so far.