• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 2 stage Glock trigger???

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
Hey guys, I ran my qualification with my old Miami Vice 5906. I was just hitting better with it than my Glock 23. Since then I have added a Venom Vortex to the Glock. I am now hitting better with it. I have developed muscle memory to the SW 5906 2 stage trigger.
Is there a good 2 stage trigger for Glock or should I just retrain my brain?
Thanks for your time and input.

Apply the fundamentals & the Glock 23 will serve you well.

Pistol shooting is very easy as long as you apply the fundamentals. When you don’t apply the fundamentals it gets really hard. Quickly.

I view the Glock trigger as a two stage already. There's a lighter takeup weight up to the wall. Apply more pressure to break through the wall and it goes bang.

Common problem with Glocks is double tap. Usually second shot goes out. You must work more with the trigger to control it. Longer travel. Try to feel when its set back and dont take it all the way forward after the shot

Reactions: WATERWALKER
Common problem with Glocks is double tap. Usually second shot goes out. You must work more with the trigger to control it. Longer travel. Try to feel when its set back and dont take it all the way forward after the shot

This is a really good point when shooting pistols in general. When you press the trigger, catch your reset; if your finger comes off the trigger at any point while firing (say a “4 rounds in 6 seconds” stage) you’re wrong. This of course is assuming your grip, finger placement on the trigger, etc is correct.

It may be easier to diagnose your issue(s) if we knew whether you’re right or left handed, knew where you’re losing points, could see your target & a pic of your hands holding the pistol.

Reactions: Paqueo
Pistols don't have two stage triggers. Slack in your trigger doesn't mean it's a two stage.

Two stage triggers have two sears. There isn't a pistol out there like that.

Prove me wrong

Reactions: WATERWALKER
When you press the trigger, catch your reset; if your finger comes off the trigger at any point while firing (say a “4 rounds in 6 seconds” stage) you’re wrong. This of course is assuming your grip, finger placement on the trigger, etc is correct.

Rob Leatham comes completely off the trigger.............

It's really clear in the strings of fire between 2:24 and 2:40

I think pistol shooting exceeds long range rifle shooting in the amount of things that people consider absolutes that really aren't

Whenever I see shooters slapping the trigger it almost always leads to slamming. I certainly wouldn’t argue w/ R. Leatham’s success. No doubt he can shoot.

Whenever I see shooters slapping the trigger it almost always leads to slamming.

Not sure what you mean by slamming. Haven't heard that term before?

Most shooters have atrocious fundamentals, so massaging the trigger ever so perfectly only means they have one less thing to fix.

I understand what you are saying from a technical perspective. Maybe I am wording it incorrectly. The S&W 5906 that I have had extremely light take up to a hard stop. Then it has a light press to discharge.

Pistols don't have two stage triggers. Slack in your trigger doesn't mean it's a two stage.

Prove me wrong

I understand what you are saying from a technical perspective. Maybe I am wording it incorrectly. The S&W 5906 that I have had extremely light take up to a hard stop. Then it has a light press to discharge.
I know. I have a 915 (the poor man's version). The double action on it sucks ass but the single action is sublime and just like you describe, with a crazy short and crisp reset.

The SA on my 915 actually runs about 4.5 lbs but the break is so crisp and sharp that it feel like much less.

Prove me wrong
108317.jpg

Depending on the glock you get, the triggers can vary for ok to mushy. I went through 2 different trigger kits to find the setup I liked to get rid of all the mush. A good trigger is not a replacement for good fundamentals, but I will definitely help you perform better.

Not sure what you mean by slamming. Haven't heard that term before?

Most shooters have atrocious fundamentals, so massaging the trigger ever so perfectly only means they have one less thing to fix.

Often times when shooters come off the trigger during the shooting sequence (ie; 4 in 6) they try to catch the reset catch the & slam the trigger. The thought process w/ a double-action trigger is like “OK, almost a perfect sight picture, line the sights up perfectly, not perfect (all while in the wobble zone), perfect sight picture” & they slam the piss out of the trigger & impact low on the target.

As far as jerking the trigger? Let’s say you’re goal is to shoot 12 rounds in 4 seconds. You’re going to jerk the shit out of the trigger to get them all off. You should still observe proper fundamentals as much as possible, but you shouldn’t be too concerned about a one-hole group. Let’s suppose you’re shooting a ten inch 5 ring at seven yards. You’ll have an acceptable margin of error which is pretty forgiving . So slamming the trigger in a point shoot situation won’t hurt you nearly as much.

Last edited:
The thought process w/ a double-action trigger is like “OK, almost a perfect sight picture, line the sights up perfectly, not perfect (all while in the wobble zone), perfect sight picture” & they slam the piss out of the trigger & impactlow on the target.
Gotcha

I see that too. I learned on double action revolvers. I don't have the issue. The secret to double action pistol shooting is that the trigger moves at one constant speed from beginning to end.

It also helps to have significant grip and arm strength and to know how to lock the wrists. Handgun grip has so many nuances I can't even describe how I do it. I can show you.

Gotcha

I see that too. I learned on double action revolvers. I don't have the issue. The secret to double action pistol shooting is that the trigger moves at one constant speed from beginning to end.

It also helps to have significant grip and arm strength and to know how to lock the wrists. Handgun grip has so many nuances I can't even describe how I do it. I can show you.

That’s a brilliant observation. I teach quite a bit & I explain it in much the same way. I describe it as a “conveyor belt.” Its super easy to show it w/ a double action trigger while the hammer swings.

For students that really slam the trigger, I tell them to think of the trigger as a conveyor belt; once it’s in motion it doesn’t stop. Whatever the error is currently will be far more forgiving than slamming the shit out of the trigger.

Last edited: