• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 stage R700 triggers

trophyhunter

Gun Father
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2011
    Brownsville, Tx
    Besides the Bix & Andy 2 stage, XTSP Mod22, Huber what other 2 stage triggers are solid?

Recently had a Tubbs trigger and getting cock on close even after adjusting cocking piece ramp.
    Currently running a Mod22 and having lots of failure to reset. Trigger has been adjust by factory, have to press trigger after bolt is lifted to reset trigger.
    Bix...well I’ve seen to many go down
    Huber, couldn’t get it reliable under 2.25lbs, if I closed bolt, slight lift would set off the trigger.

what other triggers?

To add, on almost any single stage it worked fine, from stock R700, Timney, Rifle Basix, TriggerTech

but I don’t want a single stage

I’ve had good luck with my Bix and Huber. I’m probably going to try a TT if they ever release them.

Ive been running a timney calvin elite two stage since it was released. One has had 2 barrels worth of time on it and never had a hiccup. Recently switched to a huber two stage. The huber breaks cleaner to my perception but still use the C.E on my other rifles.

I’ve had good luck with my Bix and Huber. I’m probably going to try a TT if they ever release them.
    Saw the broken sear lever in a nearly new Bix at Rifles Only a few months ago, heard horror stories after that.

huber was good, but if I had it adjust at 2lbs it would set off on bolt lift.

Ive been running a timney calvin elite two stage since it was released. One has had 2 barrels worth of time on it and never had a hiccup. Recently switched to a huber two stage. The huber breaks cleaner to my perception but still use the C.E on my other rifles.
    I’ve been eyeing the CE 2stage, I had the Huber, it’s not as clean on break as either the Mod22 or Tubbs. I really liked the Tubbs cause the overtravel after break that mimics my AI.

so I guess my options are CE 2 Stage or maybe the TT 2stage when it comes out.

I have a CE 2 stage on an ARC Nucleus and a Rem 700. The rem 700 had cock on close that I had to fix, but on the ARC Nucleus, it's fine. I also have the Timney 2 stage on my RPR. All three triggers have functioned great and I like the feel. I can't really compare them to B&A or Tubb, etc as I have not felt those triggers.

ETA: I did have a weird failure to reset issue on the ARC. I emailed Timney and they sent me a lighter top sear spring that resolved the issue.

Reactions: trophyhunter
    My Tubb trigger has been flawless on my M700 for two years. I'm going to try a TriggerTech 2 stage IF THEY EVER RELEASE THEM.

The Tubb & Mod22 are fantastic on break, it’s like super thin glass. 1st feels smooth, has a distinct wall then snap.

mod 22 tuned from them and adjust by my smith do the same thing. Close bolt is butter smooth, 1st is clean with nice wall, 2nd breaks perfectly. Lift bolt, load next round and firing pin falls home. Lift bolt up, firm press on trigger hear a click, close bolt, it’s ready again. It gets old.

Tubbs is weird, push bolt forward, have to press harder, cams over nice, 1st stage is clean, positive wall, snaps very crisp, no mush, still has a bit of travel after break, similar to my AI. Resets perfectly, but have to push firmly to get to the camming of the bolt then falls down like any R700.

and the Tubbs is retardedly large, it won’t go on a hanger style R700, most stocks need to be opened up for it.

let’s make a trigger for R700 that doesn’t fit most R700 stocks ?

but damn does it feel nice after you muscled it close.

Definitely recommend contacting Huber for repair/replace. I have two, both set at a matching 1.5 # total, 50%/50% split between stages. Very clean triggers, extremely reliable and robust. Never a problem with either.

Tubb does warn you that inletting is necessary for his trigger. Not sure why you're complaining.

Which doesn’t make it a “700 pattern trigger.”

Just a trigger that kinda fits some 700 patterns.

Which doesn’t make it a “700 pattern trigger.”

Just a trigger that kinda fits some 700 patterns.

Not only that, but it can take a lot of alteration to just get it to fit into an action.

Neither myself, a gunsmith, nor Tubb himself could get his trigger to work in the Defiance Rebel/GAP Crusader V1 action that I wanted to put it in.

I have a few Tubb triggers in my R-700 pattern rifles like Vudoos and TL-3s.

As far as 2 stage triggers go, it is the best of all the ones I have tried and I am a trigger snob.

Not only that, but it can take a lot of alteration to just get it to fit into an action.

Neither myself, a gunsmith, nor Tubb himself could get his trigger to work in the Defiance Rebel/GAP Crusader V1 action that I wanted to put it in.
    Ever try it in a Impact ?
    The hanger won’t let you

I had to mod my AX chassis a bit to make it sit in, then open up the side for the safety.

Besides the Bix & Andy 2 stage, XTSP Mod22, Huber what other 2 stage triggers are solid?

Recently had a Tubbs trigger and getting cock on close even after adjusting cocking piece ramp.
    Currently running a Mod22 and having lots of failure to reset. Trigger has been adjust by factory, have to press trigger after bolt is lifted to reset trigger.
    Bix...well I’ve seen to many go down
    Huber, couldn’t get it reliable under 2.25lbs, if I closed bolt, slight lift would set off the trigger.

what other triggers?

Huber's aren't user adjustable, you're supposed to send them back so they can set it where you want it. Pretty sure dicking with it yourself voids the warranty.

Maybe that's part of your 'problem'

Reactions: supercorndogs
    Huber's aren't user adjustable, you're supposed to send them back so they can set it where you want it. Pretty sure dicking with it yourself voids the warranty.

Maybe that's part of your 'problem'
    Huber adjusted it
    As I got it, it would set off on bolt open before firing. Sent it in, adjusted heavier and it worked. Bought a few off the Hide and some would do the same.

after having such a pain I called John and he walked me through on what to adjust, remove the cap screw and on the trigger once pulled it’s visible through the same hole. Not lots of adjustment, 1/2 turn to much and itll skip the sear completely.

Huber adjusted it
    As I got it, it would set off on bolt open before firing. Sent it in, adjusted heavier and it worked. Bought a few off the Hide and some would do the same.

after having such a pain I called John and he walked me through on what to adjust, remove the cap screw and on the trigger once pulled it’s visible through the same hole. Not lots of adjustment, 1/2 turn to much and itll skip the sear completely.

That's sorta my point, it can be a pretty intricate adjustment. If you had a lemon they should have replaced it.

That's sorta my point, it can be a pretty intricate adjustment. If you had a lemon they should have replaced it.
    One of my Huber triggers was sent in for a checkup and adjusted (by Huber) and he said it would be unreliable at the weight I wanted. He replaced a couple parts and it’s been bullet proof. Definitely have the inventor take a look.
    Aside - he was pretty adamant about nobody else should work on his triggers. I know of a couple that have tried, tho.

One of my Huber triggers was sent in for a checkup and adjusted (by Huber) and he said it would be unreliable at the weight I wanted. He replaced a couple parts and it’s been bullet proof. Definitely have the inventor take a look.
    Aside - he was pretty adamant about nobody else should work on his triggers. I know of a couple that have tried, tho.
    Ya he told me the same, under 2.5 it might not be drop safe. He also was hesitant of my smith working on them. They spoke for a bit and told him what to do then reiterated it wouldn’t work under what i was hoping for.
    Which led me to the Tubb. Then that eventually led me to current Mod22.

this is over a span of 12-14mths. During that time I’ve had lite strikes, no cock on close, no reset on open or stiff closing.
    Even would test these triggers on the many of the actions that go through the shop to run into the same issues. Maybe I’ve got bad luck ??‍♂️

Reactions: FishDr
    The Timney 2 stages are mushy. The Huber and the Geissele are pretty nice compared to each other. The first stage on the Huber is a little longer than the Geissele.

I have a 2# Huber
    Love it.
    my buddy has an Xtreme and that’s a very nice trigger as well.

would like to try a BnA and the upcoming TT.

T

They look interesting!
    What action do you have them on and at what weight is it set.
    Mine are on a R700 and a Lone Peak. Set at 1.5 lbs. It’s got a nice sear design, that looks a lot like an AI. Very adjustable. Bought mine on sale for $200 each. If you’re curious about them I bet the instructions are available on Geissele’s site.

Vid I made a while back to show the sear engagement.

My CE 2-stage is a creepy mess. It’s not really a 2 stage at all. It’s a single stage with free play in the front end. I’ll put a bullet through it one of these days when I get around to it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bunsen27
    My CE 2-stage is a creepy mess. It’s not really a 2 stage at all. It’s a single stage with free play in the front end. I’ll put a bullet through it one of these days when I get around to it.

this is what I’m afraid of get a CE and it’s creepy & mushy. The Mod22 & Tubb are amazing, super crisp, feel perfect...except before or after firing ☹️

Guess I have been lucky with my 2 stage Tubb and M22 triggers. Lot of triggers, lot of actions, lot of use. Zero problems.

I bet the instructions are available on Geissele’s site.

Last I checked they are not, but I uploaded them in this thread:

My CE was also super mushy and it was dragging so bad I could not get consistent ignition even upgrading to a heavy firing pin spring (32lbs). I did what Mark of SAC does in this video to test the CE it had this exact same issue:

Last edited:
    I think a lot of this has to do with manufacturing tolerances between different companies.

It may be a r700 "clone" but that doesn't mean the critical components have the same dimensions.

I think we're going to see more efforts made to address those differences like BnA does with different sear heights.

I think a lot of this has to do with manufacturing tolerances between different companies.

It may be a r700 "clone" but that doesn't mean the critical components have the same dimensions.

I think we're going to see more efforts made to address those differences like BnA does with different sear heights.
    It’s certainly a different world than AR triggers.
    It’s not all plug n play.

+1 for Huber. Give him a call and he'll take care of you...just don't try to do it yourself. Also note, certain actions have different heights for sear engagement (either Bix or TT has a chart of this, can't recall which). Huber adjusts his triggers to your action, so that is likely the cause. Happened to me when I picked up a used one. Sent it in and had it back within a week and haven't had an issue since

For reference my issue was on a stock Rem 700 action, not a clone action. :(

I do agree that tolerance stacking and variability does cause many of these issues though.

Guess I have been lucky with my 2 stage Tubb and M22 triggers. Lot of triggers, lot of actions, lot of use. Zero problems.
    I’m usually the one that gets the dud. Luckily the group I shoot with also runs a wide variety of parts, some of them can split a ball bearing.

i really like the feel of both the Mod22 & Tubb. When I call the companies they all blame each other “their stuff is out of spec”. In the shop I have access to a multitude of spare parts and can swap all kinds of things from cocking pieces to firing pins. At the range they all work flawless, in a match is when they fail ?

I guess I haven't heard the horror stories on b n a triggers. The 2 I have are extremely nice and consistent, as good as my cg jacksons.

I guess I haven't heard the horror stories on b n a triggers. The 2 I have are extremely nice and consistent, as good as my cg jacksons.
    A good buddy broke the sear lever after maybe 100rds on his 223. He was at Rifles Only, made it through a few stages then he was done.

The part that gets me is breaking during a match. Most of the matches I’ve been shooting in, if you have a really bad stage, you’re done for the day. It’s so tight at the top, hard to have a failure and overcome it.

Here's another vote for the Geissele Super 700. Have two, one on a Bighorn TL3 and another on a Surgeon. Also run a Mod 22 for a few years and actually prefer the feel of it, but OP has had issues with that.

My luck hasn't been very good with two different CE two stages on three different actions, including a Rem 700. Love my Timney 510s though, never an issue.

For two stages, the price of the Geissele is right where it needs to be and great performance so far with a few matches ran on them.

A good buddy broke the sear lever after maybe 100rds on his 223. He was at Rifles Only, made it through a few stages then he was done.

The part that gets me is breaking during a match. Most of the matches I’ve been shooting in, if you have a really bad stage, you’re done for the day. It’s so tight at the top, hard to have a failure and overcome it.
    True, but how many jewels or timneys have shit the bed? One primer pierce and a Jewell has a 50/50 chance of working. Your mention of your buddy's breaking is the first I've heard of a b n a failure. I'm sure theres been more than that, but it's not like a b n a is known for being fragile or prone to failure in dust like a jewel.

I mean I've heard of some guy that had a glock not feed, it happens, but I'm sure the glock pistol line isnt garbage because of a .2% failure rate.

True, but how many jewels or timneys have shit the bed? One primer pierce and a Jewell has a 50/50 chance of working. Your mention of your buddy's breaking is the first I've heard of a b n a failure. I'm sure theres been more than that, but it's not like a b n a is known for being fragile or prone to failure in dust like a jewel.

I mean I've heard of some guy that had a glock not feed, it happens, but I'm sure the glock pistol line isnt garbage because of a .2% failure rate.
    I wouldn’t buy a jewel and still very hesitant on timneys. I get what you’re sayin, not dogging on B&A just when I see it to down after I was already thinking of buying the company (joking) it’s a major heartbreak for me. I trust my experience, I really trust a few of my shooting buddies that can destroy anything. When they start hyping these triggers, I get excited, get to dry fire it and really fall in love. Then watch as he’s cleaning shit left and right and trigger is going great....then the rifle gets chunked 40ft down range cause it failed (joking). See him sobbing in disgust that it’s over, ask “what happened oh great one?”, replies while cleaning the snot dripping “the trigger broke ?”. “Hahahhahha you fuckin idiot, I told you”. But at the same time I feel a flame inside me make a “ssss” sound as someone poured water on it. Another trigger I can’t take on a honeymoon.

I guess what I was tryin to say is when your buddies have stuff go down that you kinda wanted to try it ruins the excitement. I’ll pick up a B&A and already have hesitation.