• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 stage trigger, Why is it better?or not...

dukedurham

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
What's the reason that a 2 stage might be a better mouse trap? I'm trying to decide which way to go for my fire control. CG Universal users ring in. Heck, tell me what you like / dislike about any trigger you've tried. Best of luck in the New Year, Duke.

Re: 2 stage trigger, Why is it better?or not...

All I can say is that with the two stages I've got (CG Jackson and RRA NM on ARs) I get piece of mind from having more sear engagement. The CG Jackson trigger is a great trigger, I just can't find anything not to like about it.

i hate pre-travel and go to great lengths to avoid or minimize it. the two stage trigger seems like a huge step backwards to me.

each to their own, tho.

Same here I like positive pull,now if I could get my AR triggers to feel like my Rem700 triggers I would be a happy camper.

I hate 2 stage trigger's, my Rob. Arms XCR has one and I'v been waiting for the single stage one to come out to replace it with. A good crisp single stage trigger set up with the right pull weight for the job is a much better, (and safer) trigger in my book.

How much pre-travel we talkin'? I was not aware of that. Like a Para LDA kind of travel? Explain. Then what about the second stage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same here I like positive pull,now if I could get my AR triggers to feel like my Rem700 triggers I would be a happy camper. </div></div>

Buy a JP trigger.

Some Service Rifle competitions require a trigger that will hold 4.5 pounds. With a two-stage, that rule can be effectively made moot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some Service Rifle competitions require a trigger that will hold 4.5 pounds. With a two-stage, that rule can be effectively made moot.</div></div>

Can you explain that? I like a two stage trigger because I feel like I tend to slap at it less, but I don't understand how it would effect the measurement of pull weight.

The CG triggers are the best in my opinion.
For me, it allows me to put a nice even holding pressure on, and actually shoot my pulse, right when I want it to.
I would guess it added at least five points to my twenty shot strings.

Duke, you didn't say your intended use and that has some bearing on your choice. As can be seen from the posts there are 2 camps on this question and they come from disparate shooting disciplines. You have the hi-power bunch (slow fire, plenty of time to take the shot) that favor the 2 stage and the 3 gun/tactical bunch (shooting on the move, quick shots at different distances on different sized targets) that favor single stage. Not to say there isn't some overlapping between the two.
I can shoot a 2 stage but would much rather shoot a good single stage. I run JP's in my AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some Service Rifle competitions require a trigger that will hold 4.5 pounds. With a two-stage, that rule can be effectively made moot.</div></div>

Can you explain that? I like a two stage trigger because I feel like I tend to slap at it less, but I don't understand how it would effect the measurement of pull weight.

</div></div>

3 lbs first stage + 1.5 lb second=4.5 lbs.

Because you have already pulled 3 lbs in the first stage, the trigger effectively feels like it has a 1.5 lb pull when you pull the second stage.

Am I odd-man-out that I prefer something more like 1.5lb first stage + 3lb second instead of the other way around?

I think Bronco has it right. In my view, formal competition is the place for 2-stage triggers. All my other shooting is single stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think Bronco has it right. In my view, formal competition is the place for 2-stage triggers. All my other shooting is single stage. </div></div>

Somebody better let Accuracy International in on that little secret!

This is for a paper puncher,sometime whistle pig whacker, just too dern fun not to shoot it a crap ton hillbilly redneck idea of a 1st build rifle. I have no formal experience with match competition, however, this doesn't exclude the idea that I might try one; High Power, Tactical, F-Class or otherwise. I'll likely not achieve the level of High Master, but I do like to push myself. That was one reason for asking about the C.G. Uni. The 2 stage idea piqued my interest and since I really know butkis about true function and application of said control, better to learn from the more experienced folk.
smile.gif

19Scout77, It is no secret. I will give my view to anyone who asks. Accuracy International is more than welcome to my opinion, just as you are. keep 'em centered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 19Scout77, It is no secret. I will give my view to anyone who asks. Accuracy International is more than welcome to my opinion, just as you are. keep 'em centered. </div></div>

It's all good brother. I started with a 2 stage when I bought an Anschutz 1807 when I was a kid and 25 years later, I am about to buy my second (this time a CG Jackson). In between its been all singles.

I think that one is less likely to have a negligent discharge with a two-stage trigger. On the other hand, I have single-stage triggers adjusted to around 3.5 pounds, and I've never had a ND with one of those, either.

I just like the feel of a good two-stage trigger, enough so that I have one on my AR15, but that's as much a matter of individual taste as of functionality.

And some people put a drop-in two-stage in their ARs, because the stock trigger they got is crappy, and it's easier and cheaper to do that than to get a good gunsmith to smooth out the stock trigger.

The main thing is to avoid a trigger which is too light in a fighting rifle. If you want a very light trigger on a bench or target gun, have at it.

Give me a two stage anyday. Most all of my rifles (paper punchers *and* bambi killers) and silhouette pistols have them.

My AR sports a RRA Nm 2 stage trigger. Difference was night and day compared to stock Colt heavy clunky trigger. If you've got some extra $$$, Geiselle trigger is the way to go!!!!

It would really be best if you could at least go to a gun shop and play around with both styles. As previously stated it comes down to personal preference and what you are used to shooting. I prefer single stage and have JP and McCormick SS triggers in my AR's. ANYTHING will be better than a stock trigger!

My OPINION on what is too light... anything less than 3.5lbs on a service rifle. If you pull a clean crisp 3.5, you'll swear it's lighter.

Jim

I see that a lot of AR style guns are getting the 2stage upgrade, but what about the bolt runner? Does this style control not do as well here? Goin'Hot, that's what I was thinking as well, maybe 3 lbs.

With an AR, doubling can be a problem, when something lighter than the stock trigger is used, if the grip is less than firm, and the trigger is not held until recoil subsides. That's why it's important to use a trigger appropriate for the gun's use. The stock trigger can be pulled without disturbing aim, if it's smoothly pulled with a straight finger. This means placing the finger on the trigger to feel comfortable, rather than try to get the tip of the finger on any part of the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dukedurham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see that a lot of AR style guns are getting the 2stage upgrade, but what about the bolt runner? Does this style control not do as well here? Goin'Hot, that's what I was thinking as well, maybe 3 lbs. </div></div>

As Sterling Shooter explains above, the ARm being a semi (or in some cases, a fully) automatic rifle,requires a trigger design that ensures uou will only fire one round per trigger pull, if that is what it is set for. I should think that it is probably very disconcerting to have the rifle double or even go full auto when you thought only one round would come out. The other big issue with the AR-15 is the incredibly long lock time, due to the design of the hammer and floating firing pin interaction. It's not quite as long as a flint lock, but it is much longer than the lock time of a bolt rifle.

For a bolt action rifle, the trigger only needs to release the firing pin or striker, which is under spring pressure. You can get it to go even faster with a stouter spring and a titanium firing pin. This provides for a lock time under 4 milliseconds, closer to 2 milliseconds. The trigger can get quite light and there is no danger of doubling or going full auto. The trigger does not have to capture and retain the striker after it releases it.

The AR-15 trigger has a lock time in the 12-15 millisecond range. It is heavy because of many factors, not the least of which is the fact it must capture and hold the hammer back when this object gets pushed back by the rearward action of the bolt carrier group. The hammer must positively capture and hold this hammer, or else you get doubling or worse. So the hammer design on an AR is more complex than on a bolt rifle because of the fact it has to do several things. A two-stage trigger is a great way to overcome the weight inherent to the AR trigger but that complicates it further as the trigger must be able to reset itself back to the starting position if the shooter changes his or her mind after pulling through the first stage. Also, an improvement of the stock AR trigger would be a faster lock time. Most after market AR triggers do not address this; the Geissele is the only trigger I am aware of that actually cuts this time down somewhat, in this case to about 8 milliseconds, which is still much longer than on a stock bolt rifle.

On my match AR rifle, I have installed a Geissele trigger and I have set the overall weight to just a shade under three pounds. I have set the first stage to 2 1/2 pounds, pretty much the standard setting as supplied, but the second stage if only ounces. So, when I get ready to shoot, I aim at the target and I take up the first stage (there is a definite stop); 2 1/2 pounds is very light and easy to maintain. Let me just say here, that I do not subscribe to the notion that one should squeeze the trigger and that the gun firing should come as a surprise; I want my rifle to fire exactly when I want it to. So, while holding the first stage, I refine my aim, and exactly when I want the shot to go, I just slightly increase the pressure on the trigger and hold the position on follow through being mindful of that long lock time. In competition, I stay glued to the target and in position until the target goes down.

When I shoot my target bolt rifle, I have to remind myself that it does not have a two-stage trigger, this one has a Timney and it is set very light, less than a pound. I actually do not like mixing trigger types and I much prefer a two-stage to a single stage design.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> My OPINION on what is too light... anything less than 3.5lbs on a service rifle. If you pull a clean crisp 3.5, you'll swear it's lighter.
</span>

That's kind of the problem, how many guys have actually "felt" a well tuned professionally done trigger. I have had the displeasure more than once of having a so called hot shot-gunsmith tune a trigger for me. Usually ending up with something that starts out resembling squishy dog turds between your toes and by the time it actually fires you get the "I just shaved with rusty razor blades and no water" feeling.

Nothing better than a perfectly tuned trigger, and nothing worse than a hack trigger job. Two stage will probably never be my first choice, but they are generally an improvement over almost any factory trigger.

To each his own, but I much prefer a single-stage trigger. I mostly hunt and, to me, a single-stage is faster. I don't have to carefully pull up the slack. In a situation where I have plenty of time I guess it wouldn't really matter. But, quick first and followup shots with my AR seemed awkward with the 2-stage. I replaced it with a single and have been very happy.

That said, I'm sure that we all prefer whichever trigger we have used more extensively and are more comfortable with. And, when the object is to place a projectile into a small target possibly hundreds of yards downrange -- comfort with and confidence in one's equipment is paramount.

I like my trg22 trigger, it's light halfway and then stops and at that point it's a hair trigger, also like my set trigger on my cz. For speed drills or fast draw drills there is no need but for accurate steady trigger pulls I think they are great.

This is a great topic but what trigger do you put in a 458 SOCOM with a 49 pound trigger pull?lol I feel like I need vise grips to squeeze the trigger. My 223 has a 2 stage and it's ok but I don't have enough experience with it to say it's great. All of my bolt guns have custom triggers.

What is a good drop in assembly with a set 3.5-4 pounds? I don't really need a adjustable for this AR.

The only little item I'd prefer to be different on the CG is the shoe, it's a little thin compared to a standard Rem, or the shoe on my Huber's, other than that it's a great trigger.

I "prefer" a single stage on a bolt and a two stage on a semi-auto. The reason is you are less likely to double with an two stage if you get a little loose on the follow though.

Does that mean I have a problem with two stages on a bolt gun? Nope. I do just fine with the factory two stage on the AE.

If you practice proper trigger control on the bolt gun I don't think it makes a difference.

I also don't care on a combat carbine. I run a USGI single stage on my work M4.

As LoneWolf mentioned, its all preference and practice. When I was running matches a few years back with a AR10 (two stage trigger), it was an easy transition to and from the AE and AW two stage triggers. Now that I primarily shoot a bolt gun, a single stage trigger is what I use, not because its better, just preference.

Kirk R

All my flat range sling and coat rifles are two stage; that includes the AR15 Service Rifle, the AR15 Match Rifle, the Palma rifle, the M14 Service Rifle, the M1 Service Rifle, the 03A3 vintage rifle, the Pattern 14 Enfield vintage rifle, and the M1 vintage rifle.

Study that list for a minute and you'll see if you now take a "field rifle" view of their use, including in combat, and you'll see many generations of foreign and US battlerifles/service rifles all have 2 stage triggers and no option for a single stage.

As far as doubling goes, M1s and M14s are famous for doubling from "milking the trigger", so I can't say from experience or statistics that a two stage helps with doubling.

All my ARs, regardless of use (with the exception of the bone stock SP-1) I have are fitted with two stage triggers.

My point with the list at the top is this - just because the M16 was released with a single stage trigger, this by no means is an indicator that field rifles should be single stage and flat range rifles two stage.

Even "the best" target triggers for bolt guns (Anschutz, Barnard) can be adjusted to be EITHER, based on user preference. There is no absolute in this area.

I am in the 2-stage camp, even on a bolt gun.
Buy a good 2 stage and don't worry about it, just shoot it enough and it is second nature. I don't now, nor have I ever felt I was "slow" with it or handicapped on follow up shot.
I like to feel the trigger, not tough something and have it go bang. I want to feel the trigger with cold hands, or gloves on and I want to know when it will release. A 2-stage provides that level of control for ME.