• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 Stage Triggers

TmisterE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Washington
I am thinking about installing a 2 stage trigger in my long range bolt action rifle, I have used 2 stage in ar type rifles for years & really like them. The 2 stage triggers I am looking at are the new Timney 2 Stage (I have a Timney 510 in the rifle now) Huber 2 stage & X-Treme mod 22, prices for these triggers range from around $160.00 to $400.00, guess I am leaning toward the Timney they make a great trigger & I like the 510. Has anyone used any or all of these triggers & have input on what might be the best option for a 2 stage trigger

Go with the Bin n Andy TacSport - for $255 you wont find a better 2 stage. Its adjustable, serviceable. Huber is crisp (Timney has 2nd stage creep) - Huber isnt user adjustable, timeny is but just isnt as crisp as the Bix N Andy

Go with the Bin n Andy TacSport - for $255 you wont find a better 2 stage. Its adjustable, serviceable. Huber is crisp (Timney has 2nd stage creep) - Huber isnt user adjustable, timeny is but just isnt as crisp as the Bix N Andy

I second this. While i'm getting used to the BnA its growing on me fast. Timney is full of creep or at least the two i had were. Never used any of the other 2-stages mentioned. The BnA is different in how the break feels. Almost like there is a cushion behind the trigger you're pulling into. The benefit to the BnA is literally everything can be controlled. Sear engagement, 1st stage travel, 1st stage pull weight, and second stage pull weight, in that regard it's awesome. It's also clean with no creep and crisp on the break. The trigger shoe is narrow and small but i actually love that, though i didn't think i would. Only real complaint i have is the pins are hard as hell to get in the BnA. Like i had to beat them in with a hammer into my trigger hanger.

i have a timney calvin elite.......thing is perfect.

everyone claims they creep......ive never felt that.....not in any of mine, trigger is nice and crisp.

personally i think hubbers are WAY over priced.....and over hyped.,.......and personally john hubber sounds like a nut.

+2 for the Huber 2-stage ... that's how many I have purchased since I was introduced to them a few years ago. The only complaint is they are not user-adjustable. I didn't care for the creep in the Timney.

Used and own 3 2 stage timmney Calvin elites. All have a lil cheap to them in the second stage. But it's so minimal it's not really worth talking about. Had the single stage timneys first. Went with the 2 stage and never looked back. Set at just under 14 oz. I am curious about the BnA but that's almost double the price of the Calvin elite when you buy during a sale.

I second this. While i'm getting used to the BnA its growing on me fast. Timney is full of creep or at least the two i had were. Never used any of the other 2-stages mentioned. The BnA is different in how the break feels. Almost like there is a cushion behind the trigger you're pulling into. The benefit to the BnA is literally everything can be controlled. Sear engagement, 1st stage travel, 1st stage pull weight, and second stage pull weight, in that regard it's awesome. It's also clean with no creep and crisp on the break. The trigger shoe is narrow and small but i actually love that, though i didn't think i would. Only real complaint i have is the pins are hard as hell to get in the BnA. Like i had to beat them in with a hammer into my trigger hanger.

Bix N Andy's website says the number one stoppage for Bix N Andy triggers is dirt, my home range is in wheat fields and tends to be windy dusty & dirty is this a concern for these triggers don't want to have to pull the trigger apart after every range session & clean it

Bix N Andy's website says the number one stoppage for Bix N Andy triggers is dirt, my home range is in wheat fields and tends to be windy dusty & dirty is this a concern for these triggers don't want to have to pull the trigger apart after every range session & clean it

Can't fault you there but i can't comment on it's durability, big names are running them now in the PRS circuit but i haven't had it long enough to comment on that.

Citius7 said:
Used and own 3 2 stage timmney Calvin elites. All have a lil cheap to them in the second stage. But it's so minimal it's not really worth talking about. Had the single stage timneys first. Went with the 2 stage and never looked back. Set at just under 14 oz. I am curious about the BnA but that's almost double the price of the Calvin elite when you buy during a sale.

BnA is 255$ Timney is 160-195$, i think you're looking at the wrong BnAs. The TacSport is the model Craigos and I are referring to, which are sub 300$.

The single Stage CEs are nice, very nice if you like the wide trigger shoe. Their Two stage triggers need some work on QC, because there are varying experiences out there. Both mine had noticeable creep in the 2nd stage. One far worse than the other but still noticeable.

Both mine Timney CE 2-stage triggers work great. No creep and both feel the exact same. For the money they are great.

If you have the dough, the Tubb 2-stage trigger is awesome. My Timneys may all become Tubb's soon.

If i was going to get a Bix N Andy trigger, I would spring for the competition 2-stage and not mess around with the Tac-Sport model. Go big or go home...

I had a TRG, an anschutz, and a M700 with the CG Xtreme, all of them were awesome. I currently run an AI AX, AI AWSM, and a 700 with a Timney 2 Stage (not CE). I consider myself a 2-stage connoisseur. I have also messed around with a Cadex CDX 2 a little as well.

I think the Timney is really quite good. Is it as nice as TRG/Anschutz/Etc.? Not really but those are also the best out there and it is a third of the price.

I recommend the Timney from a value perspective and the CG Extreme for being the best (of the after market options).

I have two CE two stages. They did take just a bit of tuning to feel completely crisp. They have been completely solid. The one has been used all year in competition with no problems.

i have a timney calvin elite.......thing is perfect.

everyone claims they creep......ive never felt that.....not in any of mine, trigger is nice and crisp.

personally i think hubbers are WAY over priced.....and over hyped.,.......and personally john hubber sounds like a nut.

I own a couple of Hubers and can;t see any reason to ever try a different premium after market two stage trigger. Having spoken with John he did not sound like a nut to me.

I own a couple of Hubers and can;t see any reason to ever try a different premium after market two stage trigger. Having spoken with John he did not sound like a nut to me.

I bought my first Huber two stage this year. It is an awesome two stage for the remington 700. The timney 2 stage I had was pretty creepy. I had the red 1.5-4lb trigger. I sent it back to timney, and it came back better but not as good as a 510, which I have always found to be a crisp trigger. I plan to switch the rest of my 510s for Huber 2 stage triggers.

CG xtreme. Amazing trigger. Fully adjustable. No issues with dirt. I own 5 of them. Traded a Huber for my first and never looked back.

Never tried a two-stage trigger before. I decided to try a Huber and purchased a used one. I have three now and am looking for more.

Agree with the Huber! It is now my favorite trigger!

I have Huber two stage. I love the feel of the trigger, but the safety doesn't have much (read almost scary) resistance in switching between safe & fire.

It's a no go for the Bix. Got one of the tac sport and while smooth and crisp I cannot get used to the feeling and the spring system they use for the 1st stage just suck as you feel it at the end of it's travel getting stiff and then you feel like a " pre-second" stage just before the wall of the second stage.

Their is a major safety issue with their safety that can release the pin when the safety lever is put in mid travel and trigger depressed. At least they will release a redesigned safety safety lever.

My vote goes for :

1-Best bang for buck is the CE
2- Best 2 stages on the market is the CG mod22
3- Tubb trigger is really good
4- The day Triggertech will make a 2 stages trigger it will be the best.

It's a no go for the Bix. Got one of the tac sport and while smooth and crisp I cannot get used to the feeling and the spring system they use for the 1st stage just suck as you feel it at the end of it's travel getting stiff and then you feel like a " pre-second" stage just before the wall of the second stage.

Their is a major safety issue with their safety that can release the pin when the safety lever is put in mid travel and trigger depressed. At least they will release a redesigned safety safety lever.

My vote goes for :

1-Best bang for buck is the CE
2- Best 2 stages on the market is the CG mod22
3- Tubb trigger is really good
4- The day Triggertech will make a 2 stages trigger it will be the best.

While i can attest to the Bix being different, i don't think they use a spring IIRC it's just two ball bearings.

FWIW i've heard that Triggertech is designing a 2-stage R700 trigger but have no confirmation of it.

Both mine Timney CE 2-stage triggers work great. No creep and both feel the exact same. For the money they are great.

If you have the dough, the Tubb 2-stage trigger is awesome. My Timneys may all become Tubb's soon.

If i was going to get a Bix N Andy trigger, I would spring for the competition 2-stage and not mess around with the Tac-Sport model. Go big or go home...

Tubb's are great if you don't have a Defiance action - they don't play nice with those. I have a filed down Tubb trigger sitting in my house collecting dust because of this.

Went to with the BnA Tac-Sport trigger, and so far I really like it. I do agree with Raufoss' comments, in that the first stage is not completely consistent in feel - I just reduced my first stage travel to mitigate most of that feeling. Not sure how their compeition model feels compared to the TacSport, but for the price, I think the TacSport is a great trigger.

I have a trigger tech single stage trigger (also collecting dust in my house) which I liked, but I prefer the trigger shoe on the BnA. I would be curious to see how a 2 stage TT felt, if it's anything like their single stage, it will be pretty damn good.

I started to get a TT single stage for dad's SR3, but caught a single stage calvin elite for 135$ here which was impossible to turn down. I surprisingly love the trigger shoe for the Bix. I hope to see TT come out with a 2-stage. I'd like to try one of their triggers.

Decided to go with the Timney CE 2 stage, the comment from Bix that the number one stoppage for their triggers is dirt kind of turned me away from them, thought hard on the CG mod 22 but 350 is a little more than I want to pay for a trigger right now, got the Timney for 160, going to install tomorrow and off to the range this weekend. thanks for all the input

While i can attest to the Bix being different, i don't think they use a spring IIRC it's just two ball bearings.

FWIW i've heard that Triggertech is designing a 2-stage R700 trigger but have no confirmation of it.

Open it up, you will see the spring I mention

Tubb's are great if you don't have a Defiance action - they don't play nice with those. I have a filed down Tubb trigger sitting in my house collecting dust because of this.

Went to with the BnA Tac-Sport trigger, and so far I really like it. I do agree with Raufoss' comments, in that the first stage is not completely consistent in feel - I just reduced my first stage travel to mitigate most of that feeling. Not sure how their compeition model feels compared to the TacSport, but for the price, I think the TacSport is a great trigger.

I have a trigger tech single stage trigger (also collecting dust in my house) which I liked, but I prefer the trigger shoe on the BnA. I would be curious to see how a 2 stage TT felt, if it's anything like their single stage, it will be pretty damn good.

As you said ''I just reduced my first stage travel to mitigate most of that feeling''. It is the first trigger that I needed to try to mitigate an issue and it is not supposed to be that way. It is a okay trigger but their competition one is way better and they should redesign the tac-sport.

I just bought a cg22. Really nice trigger. Pulls very consistent and user adjustable. It does have a wierd issue that the Saftey can be engaged from the fired position. If you run the bolt like this the firing pin goes forward. As long as you leave the Saftey lever in “fire” after you pull he trigger everything functions normally. You can run the bolt engage Saftey and all is well. No slam fires, Saftey goes on when bolt is cocked doesn’t fire when slammed.

Called Tom Meyers and apparently there was a change in the Saftey mechanism of the trigger to make it easier to accurate that now allows that behavior.

Big mistake... (Just kidding, hope you love it)

I just wanted to add that I have several Hubers and couldn't be happier. I am a real stickler for any creep, even the slightest amount, and the Huber is the cleanest trigger I have ever used. I have used the Timneys and the Calvins, and the whole spectrum.