• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20” Grendel, AR or Ruger Bolt gun?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking to pick up a Grendel for a 300 yard hunting rifle.
    Any reason to get one over the other? Kind of leaning towards AR but feel the bolt will be lighter.

But worried about magazine feeding issues with the AR. I’m not a stranger to Grendel and have had issues with probably every mag on the market in one rifle or another over the last 10 years. Some work in some guns, some don’t.

Would a 6 arc be any better or worse for white tail?

Any reason to get one over the other? Kind of leaning towards AR but feel the bolt will be lighter.

But worried about magazine feeding issues with the AR. I’m not a stranger to Grendel and have had issues with probably every mag on the market in one rifle or another over the last 10 years. Some work in some guns, some don’t.

What mags or upper are you running? I haven't had a single hiccup in 3 different Grendels. Not one...

Go AR as for your direct question. You can do a light weight build

My 6.5 Grendel AR doesn’t care if I use Grendel specific or 7.62x39 mags…. no feeding issues ever.

What mags or upper are you running? I haven't had a single hiccup in 3 different Grendels. Not one...

Go AR as for your direct question. You can do a light weight build
    I don’t remember all the brands off hand, e landers were the worst, then acs, and dura mags were the best.

I have a Ruger mpr 18” in my safe not being used, actually thought about selling, might throw a barrel and bolt in that.
    It’s for a very nice match trigger in it from the factory.

I’m guessing velocities would be very close between the 20 inch gas gun and 20 inch bolt gun

I have not had issues with asc, c defense or elander magazines in either of my Grendels suppressed or not. Considering selling the 20” upper minus the charging handle and bcg.

A lot of people like the howa mini actions too. The bolt guns can be pushed a further with pressure than the ar. For me the Grendel has been a great white tale deer rifle for the area I hunt. Farthest deer taken 265 yards and closest 80. All of them did not go more than 20 yards. Good luck

Reactions: Modoc
    A lot of people like the howa mini actions too. The bolt guns can be pushed a further with pressure than the ar. For me the Grendel has been a great white tale deer rifle for the area I hunt. Farthest deer taken 265 yards and closest 80. All of them did not go more than 20 yards. Good luck
    Ive read a lot of people praising the grendel for hunting, but havent seen a video yet where it took a deer DRT... every one ive seen required tracking.

Ive read a lot of people praising the grendel for hunting, but havent seen a video yet where it took a deer DRT... every one ive seen required tracking.
    That’s because the deer are being hit behind the shoulder. Expect them to run when hit there nearly always. It’s a shot placement thing and not a cartridge issue. Many people like this shot because it offers a larger target when broadside. I rarely take that shot.

AR! I have had 2 Grendel’s in bolt rifles, and no more for me. In a AR platform, your limited. In a bolt rifle you can step up to Crdmoor or 260 and have a lot more rifle. More bang for same dollar

That’s because the deer are being hit behind the shoulder. Expect them to run when hit there nearly always. It’s a shot placement thing and not a cartridge issue. Many people like this shot because it offers a larger target when broadside. I rarely take that shot.
    10-4. I’m wondering if it just didn’t have enough speed for the bullets to expand properly.
    I was wanting to run 107-123 smk since I’ve seen very good luck with them in 77-168 on game, but wasn’t sure about velocity

I have two 20" Grendel ARs, so I guess that shows my preference.

Plenty of hogs dropped on the spot, or with very minimal runs and I have the video evidence to prove. As said above, where you hit game matters.

Only one deer ever. I usually tag out during bow season, or take something else out. However this guy went 0 after a spine shot last year. 123gr SST.
    20231019_080418.jpg

10-4. I’m wondering if it just didn’t have enough speed for the bullets to expand properly.
    I was wanting to run 107-123 smk since I’ve seen very good luck with them in 77-168 on game, but wasn’t sure about velocity

I had really poor results with the 120gr Gold Dot in my Grendel on hogs...however my velocity was really not very high (~2,400). I actually had better results with the 64gr Gold Dot out of my .223s.

That being said, the 120gr TAC-X (TSX) wasn't really going any faster and was an absolute hammer on big boars. I figured it would need more velocity, but it definitely did not.

I'd leave the SMKs at home to be completely honest. The SST, NBT, TSX, 100gr TTSX have all got great track records (not just in my personal experience), and you'll never be shooting far enough for the accuracy of each of those bullets to be detrimental in any way.

If you told me I'd have to deer hunt to 250 yards the rest of my life with just the Grendel and either the 123 SST, 120 NBT, or 100 TTSX...I would not be heart broken.

I had really poor results with the 120gr Gold Dot in my Grendel on hogs...however my velocity was really not very high (~2,400). I actually had better results with the 64gr Gold Dot out of my .223s.

That being said, the 120gr TAC-X (TSX) wasn't really going any faster and was an absolute hammer on big boars. I figured it would need more velocity, but it definitely did not.

I'd leave the SMKs at home to be completely honest. The SST, NBT, TSX, 100gr TTSX have all got great track records (not just in my personal experience), and you'll never be shooting far enough for the accuracy of each of those bullets to be detrimental in any way.

If you told me I'd have to deer hunt to 250 yards the rest of my life with just the Grendel and either the 123 SST, 120 NBT, or 100 TTSX...I would not be heart broken.
    I’ve heard great things with the 123 sst and actually might consider a SFAR in 6.5CM and run that bullet. Looking at the cost of a good barrel and bolt in Grendel, it isn’t much more money to pick up the Sfar

I’ve heard great things with the 123 sst and actually might consider a SFAR in 6.5CM and run that bullet. Looking at the cost of a good barrel and bolt in Grendel, it isn’t much more money to pick up the Sfar

An "acquaintance" of mine, TX Yankee Hog Hunting (YouTube) runs the 129gr Interlock exclusively in his 6.5 CM last time we interacted. It is a hammer (and cheap too). I've had fantastic results with the cheap 150gr Interlock in .308. If you go 6.5 CM, I'd look there.

I had some feed issues but it was due to feed ramp problems, not the mag.
    I build a lightweight Grendel AR for a walking around rifle and love it! I have transitioned to this for my primary deer rifle and probably hog gun. Two deer last year with 105 mkz - one drt, I had to finish one off, but that was due to poor shot placement.
    This year I went to the Nosler 129 ablr. If you can find them, this is THE bullet for deer! 3 drt and one was shot low shoulder (by 7 year old…) and i had to track and finish off. It had a three inch (approximately) exit hole in the brisket.
    6 vs 6.5? I bet both will work fine. I do like the bigger caliber.
    I considered 6 but already have a 260 Remington so plenty of 6.5 projectiles.

I have been running C-Products Defense (now known as DuraMag) for well over a decade without any issues.

I like my 20" Grendel DMR build, but honestly, I think it and the 6 ARC really shine in a bolt gun where you can get better pressures and more velocity, and possibly better accuracy.

What’s the maximum OAL you can load to in a bolt gun, versus AR? I can possibly squeeze 2.28 in ASC mags, though not sure how bolt guns fare in this regard. If you can get 2.30-2.32 out of them, might make sense, as you could wring a bit more velocity without a pressure penalty, given lands will allow you to do so. That said, I’m sticking with AR’s until a proper LH bolt comes about, or an MGM Encore drops in my lap.

@LRRPF52 is the guy to ask about Grendel ARs. Shoot him a message, and he could probably tell you whatever you wanted to know.

I’ve killed two whitetail with my Grendel. Both under 100 yards. 123 grain Hornady. First one was behind the shoulder, double lung, large exit would, ran 50 yards. Second one was a poor shot because I was resting against a tree. Destroyed the shoulder and one lung. Dropped instantly but was gonna take a while to bleed out so I shot it again in the heart to kill it quicker. I avoid heart shots because I like heart meat and I hunt in close range big woods so I can usually afford to be picky but that was my mistake.